Ratings for Dr. M. L. D. Fernando

the "Oxford Bipolar" Doctor. Everyone is stuck with a diagnosis of bipolar.

flag | Submitted July 28, 2016

My brother seen this Dr and after speaking with him once for 20 min he had him diagnosed with schizophrenia as well as Mpd.. After medicating him to the point of being in a zombie state and feeling numb we asked to speak with a different doctor who said this was not the case and his up bringing was the reason he was how he was and things needed to change. Keep in mind when he put him on a very strong anti phychotic medication he did not ween him off of something he had been on for almost 10 years.. Just dropped one and replaced with another. Also his lack of empathy and argumentative attitude is very appalling. I have absolutely nothing good to say about this man other then the fact that he needs to be removed from WGH immediately!

flag | Submitted June 20, 2016

He only knows one diagnosis. Bypolar. Every one in Woodstock Ontario is bipolar according to the diagnosis they have received from him :O

flag | Submitted June 7, 2016

This Doctor is awful and after seeing my son took him off meds he was on for years and put him on new ones for things he believed was wrong with him / misdiagnosed him and not even knowing him which made him worse and the fact that he didn't trust doctors didn't help once so ever ....He should't be a doctor!!!

flag | Submitted June 4, 2016

He is a terrible Doctor hope he gets replaced ! !

flag | Submitted June 3, 2016

This man belittled me, taunted me, made outrageous accusations, and had me on and off of more than 9 different medications in under 6 months. When I told him I feared I would harm myself, he accused me of being an addict. He did irreparable damage to my life, and shouldn't be allowed to practice here or anywhere.

flag | Submitted June 2, 2016

This Doctor within moments treated me like a woman with no rights as if I was living in a third world Country and not Canada. I pointed this out to him and I fired` him within minutes.`I don`t think anyone had ever done this to his face before, and he then totally lost it. I have never seen a professional scream, shout and lean over the desk in a intimidating way as he did. I walked out. He completely lacked emotional maturity and any semblance of sanity. This man should have a thorough psychiatric assessment himself. I also overheard him insulting a woman calling her fat. She had just had a baby! As I asked around this town I heard one horror story after another. He seems to be a predator in a white coat who gets his jollies picking on people who are disadvantaged. His license should be revoked. The local Canadian Mental Health Assn Oxford County should file the complaint. They admit to hearing many inappropriate behaviors by him towards their clients from their clients but they seem intimidated too. Why? Do they think this is all their clients deserve. They should stand up and be counted! Their clients are vulnerable and they should protect them even from Doctors who are unstable. My advice to anyone who finds themselves under his care is to a) fire him and demand another Doctor of your choosing, (it does not have to be a Psychiatrist a GP who is willing will do) b) demand a copy of the Mental Health Act and read it. Know your rights. The hospital legally has to provide it if you are admitted.) here is a link to it https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90m07 c) contact management of the hospital immediately and demand to be transferred to another hospital of your choosing. When I was there he was Head of Psychiatry so best to get away from the Woodstock Hospital all together for your mental health care needs d) call a lawyer or Oxford Legal Aid 1 800-668-8258 to get a lawyer or a legal clinic. Ask for a phone book to get the numbers if you are a inpatient. e) do not believe everything you are told by him or the staff. Confirm it for your self. f) contact the hospital Ombudsmans office or Patient Relations Advisor within Woodstock Hospital and tell them you want to file a complaint immediately and to please bring the complaint form to your room. Let staff know you are doing this . tell the other patients. g)Ask for your medical file in writing keep a copy of the request and date it. You are entitled to it under Freedom of Information, you should know what he has written about you in case you choose to sue or need it to get transferred. h) contact College of Physician and Surgeons to file a complaint here is a link http://www.cpso.on.ca/policies-publications/make-a-complaint i) and again contact Canadian Mental Health Assn Oxford County here is their link and phone number http://cmhaoxford.on.ca/ For Urgent Service 24/7 – 519-539-8342 or 1-877-339-8342 Make them advocate for their clients. i) get your mental health care needs taken care of in other City's j) and for gods sake if you see that nurse fast asleep at her desk bang on her door and wake her up, she is there for your safety too. As a professional traveled woman I have NEVER seen anything like this! What a disaster this situation is!

flag | Submitted June 1, 2016

Absolutely HORRIBLE Doctor. Avoid him at all costs. He not only misdiagnosed me after a 10 minute discussion, he laughed at me when I was trying to explain my issues, he called my problems silly and he was very condescending. He often scoffed and hook his head when I was speaking and was very disrespectful to my parents at the family consultation. He would not listen to what I was saying-- he would assume my feelings and my thoughts, which led me to just begin to lie to him so I could get out of the inpatient unit as quickly as possible so I didn't have to deal with his unprofessional attitude and snide remarks. If I could give him 0 stars I would.

flag | Submitted June 1, 2016

This "Dr." , and I use the term very loosely, told my son at the tender age of 17, and after a 5 min interview, that he was a sociopath!!! My son didnt even know what that meant, but if course he googled it! It has taken YEARS to recoup his self esteem and confidence! It has been a long road 😢 This "doc" should have his license taken away!!!

flag | Submitted June 1, 2016

The absolute worst dr I have ever met. Completely inept. Is extremely prejudiced against the LGBT community. Refuses to have a meeting with any family or support person for his patients. Diagnoses EVERYONE as bi-polar. Gives everyone the same med. Does zero actual council or therapy. Just in general a horrible horrible perosn let alone one in charge of a whole ward of vulnerable people.

Dr. M. L. D. Fernando's Credentials