Ratings for Dr. Pierre Assalian

I am transgender. Dr Pierre Assalian actually saved my life back in 2007. I was seeing a clinical psychologist who was part of his team back then. I began cross dressing and lived full time as female. I attended group therapy and a few one on one sessions with that therapist and another. All at my own expense. I began to feel that I was wasting my time there as I was sure of who I was (I was 49 yrs old at the time) and I wanted to move toward full transition, I asked that therapist if I had been diagnosed with gender identity disorder (now called gender dysphoria) and she replied that I had. I then asked if I could please continue the process and be put on hormone replacement therapy and she firmly replied "NO". When I asked why she replied I needed to continue therapy with her for "at least another 5 years" before moving ahead into full transition. She refused to prescribe hormone therapy for me. I went into a deep depression. I asked to be seen at MGH with her, the other therapist, and Dr Assalian. When I got there I told my story to some student therapists who were there, and then my so called therapist and her partner arrived. In front of them I told Dr Assalian the full story. He listened patiently and at the end, decided to prescribe hormone therapy for me immediately. My therapist and her partner became very angry and at one point said to Dr Assalian "If you do this for her then many will be knocking at your door for the same thing." He VERY professionally and respectfully told them that from that moment on I would be under his care and his care only. Needless to say they were red with anger and left. Dr Assalian took me into his office and I began to cry. I told him of my life, how I suffered with those therapists, and how grateful I was that he decided to allow me to have HRT and continue the transition. I recently saw Dr Assalian for private reasons and I was so happy to see him again after so many years. Since the day he prescribed HRT to this day I have been the HAPPIEST I have ever been in my life. He literally saved my life in 2007 and I was happy to tell him so in 2018. I wanted him to see me, to know that I am a success story and that he greatly contributed to my mental health and well being by taking me as his patient and prescribing HRT. By the way, I have kept the original prescription with his signature on it and I have it framed in my office. I almost look at it as a birth certificate because from that day on I felt finally my life was making sense. I hope Dr Assalian's family, friends, colleagues, and other patients read this so that they can know what a wonderful man he is and what an asset he has been to Montreal General. Thank you !

flag | Submitted January 9, 2019

Avoid at all cost. Assalian should have retired years ago. He's widely known in the profession as an unethical practitioner.

flag | Submitted November 7, 2018

Amazing. Has really helped. He has a lot of experience. Recommended

flag | Submitted October 5, 2018

Dr. Assalian is an excellent psychiatrist and has a lot of experience in the field.

flag | Submitted June 2, 2018

yes sexologist very incompetent in the field a transition must take time and have a good balance in mental health. I know they request to write comments to belittle the professionals who know what they talk about. A war of customers and money. Dr. Pierre Assalian knows how to reconize a real one and really help.

flag | Submitted June 2, 2018

People who write bad comments about a quality program with people of high competence in the field are influenced by psychotherapists who give important letters after two meetings simply to earn money because the concern for a serious follow-up is not important to them. They asked to make bad comments on the internet. I think the impostor on the ground should not practice this profession, but people like Dr. Pierre Assalian are very skilled.

flag | Submitted May 29, 2018

Dr. Pierre Assalian is one of the best psychiatrist. He got a lot of knowledge and a lot of experiences.

flag | Submitted February 25, 2018

Toxic psychiatrist in a toxic medical specialty? Wow, what a surprise that is. Dr. Assalian treats his patients like it is 1955 and dr. Ewen Cameron is the chairman of the Department of Psychiatry at McGill. You will not get the help you need nor informed consent if you are a trans person. Run from this office. Incredible how he still has his license (since 1975!) but that is telling of how little the practice and the system had changed since the days of MK Ultra. This is Quebec after all.

flag | Submitted August 18, 2017

Thérapie de conversion, visant à alourdir le temps nécessaire pour avoir accès aux soins nécessaires.

flag | Submitted August 4, 2017

Frauds people into "mandatory" programs that are not recognized by the WPATH.

flag | Submitted August 3, 2017