Ratings for Dr. Brian Robin Kessel

Excellent care and proactive. Listens and understands. Never feel rushed.

flag | Submitted September 11, 2018

I've been seeing Dr. Kessel for quite a while. A few incidents I can remember: 1) When he had wanted me to stand on the scale to check my weight (at that point, he was using a non-computerized scale [i.e. the scale with the height rod and the balance beam where you drag the square over to the weight] and he had basically made me feel guilty for not having lost any weight. I'd told him that he needed to get a new scale since it obviously didn't go past 350. (he eventually did get a better scale which was computerized with a higher weight limit) 2) I had gone in there for a specific issue and he felt the need to do a physical, complete with taking my blood pressure [this was before he was using the automatic blood pressure machine]. As he's doing this, he's asking me how I've been. Meanwhile, I had just ended two friendships with people who were narcissistic and emotionally abusive, so the anger is still fresh as I'm telling him. As I do so, my blood pressure is rising and rising. He doesn't see the connection and diagnoses me with high blood pressure, sending me to a clinic and then back to him and then back to another clinic...all the while when there was nothing wrong with me. 3) I had gone to see him to have something checked and he wanted me to stand on the scale to check my weight. I did so and he took note of the number. I could've sworn that the number was higher before, so I asked him what my previous number was before. He had told me and I'd calculated in my head that I had lost thirteen pounds without even trying. No positive reaction or congratulations of any kind from him, but the minute I gain three pounds, he's all over me with the negativity. 4) When I had lost the weight, I had gone in to get my blood taken by him. Normally I have very thick veins [likely due to the body fat], but, with less, it was easier to take my blood. He was finally able to do it and I'd said, "Well, I *had* lost about 50 pounds of body fat..." and he said, "Well, maybe I have the magic touch.". He completely devalued my achievement and tried to pat himself on the back at the same time. 5) With how he is [at least with me], I try not to go to him unless something is seriously wrong. Last July, something was seriously wrong. I had been dealing with serious headaches for a few weeks and it got to the point where my mom had asked if I wanted to go and see the doctor. I agreed and we went in. Meanwhile, I was in so much pain from the headaches, I could barely move normally which required borrowing a wheelchair from the pharmacy. We went into his office and one of the first things he did was berate my mom for bringing me there instead of the emergency room. Meanwhile neither her or myself knew what was going on...we thought it was an inner ear issue. I felt that he had no right talking to her like that, especially when I was in that condition. 6) I had gone to see him after my weight loss and he took my blood pressure [once again, before the automated machine]. He diagnosed me with high blood pressure, but I later found out that he was using the wrong size cuff. He put me on pills, and I had come back and he tested me again, once again finding out I had high blood pressure. I said, "I'd Googled it and saw that, if you use the wrong size cuff, it can give a false reading." He tried it with a smaller cuff, saw my blood pressure was lower and credited the medication instead of my suggestion. Add that to the fact that he said "When you're done with those pills, I want you to get another prescription." and he handed me a piece of paper. Though I thought he wanted me to get a prescription at that point, so we filled it. He then gave me a hard time for not listening when, to be honest, he could've just given me the paper with the prescription on it when my mom and I came back the next time. 7) I had gone to see him another time and he was giving me grief about my weight [again]. Over time, I had researched what I weighed in regards to my waist size and body fat percentage. Even though the scale says (for example; I don't have the number right now) 375, but I have a 46-inch waist. With that, my body fat percentage is 18% which is, according to the URL https://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/bodyfat , an acceptable percentage (67.5 pounds of body fat). I told him about the website and said to him that, according to that, it was a normal body fat percentage. He said, with all the sarcasm he could muster, "You think *this* is normal?" I said, "No, I didn't *say* that. I said the *percentage* was normal" 8) I had gone in there recently [I think it was earlier this year] and he had checked my blood pressure. Instead of giving me suggestions as to how I could get it lowered naturally, he just gave me medication for it. That was the last time I'd been there because it seemed clear to me that he was more concerned with keeping me alive by giving me medication than trying to actually help

flag | Submitted July 27, 2018

Doctor kessel knows what he is talking about but staff cold unfriendly and constantly messes up booking tests and appointments my advise is to find some other doctor

flag | Submitted June 14, 2018

Very rude doctor.No patience at all to listen to patient and very nervous. Run away from him!

flag | Submitted February 24, 2018

Dr. Kessel is entitled, antisemitic and incredibly rude. He talks down to you as if you know nothing. I have never been more angry coming out of an appointment in my entire life. I went in for a simple strep test knowing I already had it, and he gave me a hard time about it. Unless you dont give a f**k about yourself or life in general, dont go to him. I wouldnt even send my worst enemy to this unimaginable pessimist .

flag | Submitted February 5, 2018

Dr. Kessel is 1 of the best doctor's hands down. He is straight to the point. Tells you how it is. On point. I wouldn't want any other doctor to be honest. He has helped me tremendously. Thank you so much, for being who you are. I have my life back. I recommend Dr. Kessel to anyone and everyone. Peter M

flag | Submitted July 17, 2017

Amazing Doctor! I had my past GP delivery me from birth and treat me for over 24yrs. I was having major symptoms and she was brushing me off. I scheduled an appointment with Dr. Kessel (who is my stepdads GP) and he had me tested, treated and cured of Thyroid Cancer in 8mos. I am very thankful for him. He knows his stuff. He doesn't sugar coat anything - he isn't rude, just very cut and dry. He is honest, he is helpful and is not a medication pusher. There seems to be an issue with high turnover among his other staff (reception, nurses, etc.) but everyone I've encountered is polite and knowledgeable. He clearly runs a tight ship and it's refreshing. You will never have to wait more than 2mins on the phone, he calls to give test results right away, you can usually schedule appointments same day if you need to. All in all, he is highly recommended!

flag | Submitted June 28, 2017

Both my Mom and I are patients of Dr. Kessel's. When my Mom needs to be seen (she's a senior), and Dr. Kessel is not available, Dr. Strom will see her. She is treated with dignity and care. I've never had a bad experience myself. One thing for sure...he isn't a pill pusher. My only beef is that he change his radio station.

flag | Submitted August 9, 2016

Very rude doctor.No patience at all to listen to patients queries. He has no religious tolerance and not respectful for a woman's religious sentiments.

flag | Submitted April 2, 2016

In my experience he is bad doctor. He is a snob, looks down at me. He doesn’t know how listen to a patient. The last time I saw him in the early stages of my illness, he waved me, nothing advising, later, I felt a terrible pain; the doctor made no diagnosis and didn't send me to a specialist.

flag | Submitted October 10, 2015