Ratings for Dr. Robert L. Munt

My son had some tummy issues and then ulcers started showing up in mouth leading him to not eat or drink anything. I called White Oak after picking my son up from school being that it had been going on since Tuesday and had only gotten worse by Friday. The person answering the phone asked if I could get there by 4:15pm to see Dr. Schmidt, to which I responded absolutely and that we were already on our way (coming from North Hills area). When we arrived at 4pm (well in advance of the 4:15pm deadline), the person at the front desk let me know that she had rescheduled us to Dr. Munt who didn't end up seeing us until after 5:30pm. When we were finally able to see Dr. Munt, the experience was traumatizing (for both my son and I). The doctor said he thought it could be an ear infection causing my son's symptoms, but he couldn't see in his ears b/c of his tubes. So, he proceeded to have his nurse hold my son down and stick a long silver instrument down both of his ears ripping out both tubes - of course only to find completely clean and normal ears. My son was screaming so hard his lips had turned white and we were both crying over something that was completely unnecessary. Dr. Munt then told me that there was nothing he could do for the ulcers and just to keep trying what we were doing (which was trying to get him to eat cold foods...he wouldn't even drink water at this point though). By Saturday afternoon my son hadn't had any wet diapers in over 24 hours and we ended up at the ER. As soon as we got to the hospital they gave him "magic mouthwash" and he was like a different child. My son was starving at this point and ate/drank for probably a full hour after having the mouthwash. The ER doctors were shocked at what had happened at the pediatrician's office and said that it was pretty common practice to prescribe the magic mouthwash to help with ulcer pain. They also said that my son had a strain of Hand, Foot and Mouth and it was completely unnecessary to remove his tubes (in addition to the mouth sores, my son had a few small sores on his feet that Dr. Munt never looked for). I can't even describe to you how awful I feel that I put my child through all of that pain unnecessarily by taking him to Dr. Munt and that he could have felt better starting Friday night if we had been given that prescription.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2015

Great doctor. He treated my kids for years from the cradle to getting them out into the world. He was always expertly knowledgeable and patent.

flag | Submitted January 16, 2011

This guy is top notch. He will check your kid out from head to toe even if your kid comes in to be seen for a papercut. Seriously. He is excellent. Is very calm. Very. In an emergency I would only hope for a Dr.Munt to be present.

flag | Submitted October 15, 2008