Ratings for Dr. Ofelia C. Balta

Shameful, though true, select members of Dr. Balta's staff engaged in HIPPA violations. For many years if these behaviors existed they were unbeknownst and unobserved by me. Over the years we have all experienced major changes in how our health care is administered. That care changed at WNC Internal medicine, too. Not necessarily for the good. Even so, violating HIPPA laws has nothing to do with quality of care. Exposing patients' privacy is as serious today as it was when HIPPA laws were implemented. In my case, support staff at times, loudly and recklessly, discussed patients' medical information with one another while other patients were nearby; i.e., at the check in window, in the hallway, in the lab. Because of their unethical behavior I have been exposed to confidential medical information of other patients as well as hearing my own confidential medical information discussed in the presence of other patients. Privately I brought the very serious and disconcerting aforementioned information to Dr. Balta's and her office manager's attention and also my concern regarding numerous billing discrepancies for lab testing. Both assured me those practices would be discontinued immediately. However, the fact is that within a few months of that discussion, I received a letter of dismissal stating that their decision was based on "my" dissatisfaction with their services. For me, clearly, after approximately 10 years of being a patient with no questions ever raised as to my compliance as such, this was a retaliatory action on behalf of the staff at WNC Internal Medicine. The retaliatory actions taken against me were quite harmful as well unethical. It certainly sends a chilling message to anyone that dares to address matters of concerns of misconduct by one's medical provider. I realize now I should have immediately filed complaints of misconduct and HIPPA violations with the proper organizations. It was a most costly mistake to trust my medical provider to handle these matters in house.

flag | Submitted March 7, 2017

Dr. Ofelia C. Balta's Credentials

• Inst De Med Si Farm, Iasi, Romania (Grad. 1990)

MAMSI