Ratings for Dr. Nanette Alvarez

Dad has had a'bad heart' for nearly 45 years. His original cardiac specialist was a family friend Robert H Walker. When Dr Walker passed away, dad simply didn't see anyone else for his heart - no one could possibly fill Dr Walker's shoes. Dad was recently taken by ambulance from an urgent care centre in a small town to the PLC here in Calgary. At the time he was very unstable, slurring his words, somewhat incoherent, unable to walk more than a few feet, and he accepted the offer of a wheelchair - the most significant indication he was failing. He was fortunate that Dr Alvarez was in the hospital. She assessed everything that was going wrong, and she 'called dibs' on him, knowing if his heart didn't get the attention it needed there would be no sense in calling in the lung specialist or the hematologist. I was called in to meet with Dr A and my mom on day 2. Dr A didn't candy coat the prognosis, but was very gentle and thorough in educating us as to dad's condition and the possible treatments. She didn't object to me asking deeper questions than my mom would have asked. With Dr A heading the team of specialists dad pulled through, and while he will never have even remotely good health again, Dr A has regular 'dates' with dad to keep tabs on him and make sure he's doing as well as he can. Dr A is an amazing, caring doctor. We are fortunate to have her in dad's corner - and yes, Dad has admitted that Dr A has filled Dr Walker's shoes quite nicely :)

flag | Submitted October 16, 2017

In 2012, Dr Alvarez responded to one of my multiple trips to the ER for atrial flutter and atrial fibrillation. When it got escalated to her from the Dr in ER she went through my symptoms thoroughly and explained everything to me. A week later I went into AF again and called her office to get her recommendation. The staff at the office tracked down Dr Alvarez and she encouraged me to get to the ER and she would see me straight away. Unheard of!!! She put me on a new drug program explaining the pro's and con's of the drug and also got me referred to an electrophysiologist cardio specialist who after tests had me scheduled for an RF Cardiac Ablation. Long story short 4 years since the procedure was performed by another skilled doctor I am clear of AF. Her attention to detail, prompt response, and her staff finding her was just amazing. My ratings speak to her other excellent attributes.

flag | Submitted June 26, 2017

I have been seeing Dr Alvarez for many years , she is a wonderful doctor and when I see her and her staff they always make me feel like I'm seeing an caring friend . She is always up to date with new ways to help me keep my heart healthy and I am grateful that I am lucky enough to find her .

flag | Submitted September 4, 2014

I have been seeing Dr. Alvarez for a number of years. She is extremely knowledgeable regarding connective tissue disorders and is very thorough. She does not prescribe medications needlessly. She takes her time to provide thorough explanations. I have found her clinic staff to be wonderfully supportive and quick to respond. When I go for my visits, I always feel as if I am heard and respected as an individual, physically and emotionally.

flag | Submitted April 13, 2013

Great Doctor..but I'm a wimp he needs to be told "Everything's going to be fine little guy" lol, you wont get that here but..I must say shes good..real good.

flag | Submitted August 9, 2010

If you're lucky enough to get Dr. Alvarez, then you can feel blessed that you're in the best hands possible. Her expertice and knowledge is balanced nicely with an amazing bedside manner. Absolutely the best!

flag | Submitted December 14, 2009

Dr. Alvarez has been my Adult Cardio Doc for a number of years. I think she is one of the best around. I trust her 100%. Up front, no-nonsense and a VERY caring person. Her and her staff are Alberta Grade A-1 in my books. I have a very complex heart problem, she is very compitent.

flag | Submitted May 21, 2009

A wonderful cardiac doctor with a heart! She was an integral part of our life as my sister's congenital heart was wearing out. Her concern for my sister having a comfortable quality of life was always evident and her respite care to assist the family was amazing. A very special lady!

flag | Submitted February 17, 2009

I have been going to Dr. Alvarez for quite a number of years and am exceptionally satisfied. She is thorough and proactive and always takes the time to answer questions with honesty and understanding. I have the greatest respect for her as a doctor and appreciate her care and her support.

flag | Submitted January 31, 2008

Dr Alvarez is the best! I couldn't have done it without her and her team. She is part of my life now. She game me hope!

flag | Submitted January 6, 2008