Ratings for Dr. Carol Kostynuk

I saw this doctor many years ago. Initially I found her to be very helpful, but after a while, I found her not the least bit interested in me, the patient. I made the decision to never return. All of the comments here about her being late, talking about herself, lack of professionalism, are true. My last appointment, I showed up on time as usual, she wanted to go to the bank. I accompanied her to the bank… We went back to her office and our session was over. What is that?

flag | Submitted January 22, 2018

I agree with all the negative reviews 100%. I was a patient of Carol's for two years, she was late ALL the time, missed appointments, talked about herself and pressured me to become part of her non for profit group. Most unprofessional individual I have ever dealt with.

flag | Submitted December 18, 2015

Highly unprofessional. Read her mail during my appointment. Constantly late.

flag | Submitted September 7, 2015

I went to see Dr. Kostynuk when I was 19 and suffering from bulimia. She was 30 minutes late during my first appointment and insisted, very rudely, that my mom stay in the waiting room (I had wanted my mom to come in with me for support as this was the first time I was discussing my ED with someone). I was a healthy weight, 165 pounds at 5'11", and she implying that I was grossly underweight, even dismissed my concerns that the medication she had put me on was making me put on weight. After our first appointment she spent the better part of our time discussing her own problems, eating, trying to force food on me, gossiping about other patients or asking me to join her evening group (an incentive she offered was that everyone would bring their own McDonalds and then throw up--isn't that counterproductive?). She even once admonished me for calling to reschedule an appointment when I was asked to cover a shift at work because one of my co-workers had been hospitalized.

flag | Submitted October 15, 2012

Dr Kostynuk review My experience is similar to the negative ones below. She is consistently late ( 30 -45 minutes for me, with no extension to my appointment), she is not even in the office when I arrive on time. She talks about herself, her life woes and dog. I feel like my obsessive research on dieting and health has lead me to know much more about nutrition than she does. She does not investigate my issues,as she offers pitiful advice and anecdotes relating to her own experience only. I will say that she suggested some helpful reading materials, but that is the extent of her help. She is a terrible confidante and extremely unprofessional and disorganized. To top it off, the office is a sty, and the sign outside clearly states "eating disorder clinic", as if anyone would want to walk into a place with an obtrusive sign like that! What ever happened to discretion and confidentiality?!

flag | Submitted April 3, 2012

I've seen Dr Carol Kostynuk for 4 yrs. She is professional,yet still friendly & personal which are rare-found qualities among psychiatrists nowadays.Only psychologists practise psychotherapy nowadays maybe because they can't prescribe medication thus they can only chat & make our $175 worth that 50mins.Suffering from major depression & eating disorder over 10yrs,psychotherapy is important for me.Glad that Carol still practises it.In the past I saw many psychiatrists,some watched the clocks & 'ding' time's up 'NEXT";some should go see psychiatrists themselves.Carol puts her heart & soul to listen,understand,discuss & help me.She helped me likeing myself & got my hunger signal back.When I lost my job,she packed me groceries.When I refused to eat,she fed me.When I am sad,she feels for me.So many times I was at the bottom of the pit I called her,she talked to me & would see me right away.I thank God sent her to me.She isn't an ordinary cold-hearted doc,she's REAL WARM HUMAN with big heart.

flag | Submitted March 15, 2011

I'm a former patient of Dr. Kostynuk's and found my time with her to have been extremely helpful to me. I was able to see why my body image was as distorted as it was. I only wish I had met her years earlier. The concepts she led me to see were extremely freeing. While I still am overweight by the charts, I am much healthier, and enjoy exercise without embarrassment about body image. I golf, swim, and dance without fear. I eat when hungry, and don't take out my frustrations on junk food anymore. My weight is going down as I learn to listen to what my body calls for. Thanks, Carol! You helped me realize important things about myself that have benefited my life greatly.

flag | Submitted February 8, 2011

At the lowest point of my life Dr. Carol K. was my ONLY support. She helped me successfully treat life-long depressive illness (Yeah NARDIL!) and assisted me with improving my body image perception. Dr. Carol DOES offer food/snacks. Thank goodness! I have neglected my hunger & need for food for years. It's called an EATING DISORDER & is one reason I see Dr. Carol. She is often running late. This is understood by her patients. Since she works with us for "as long as it takes" during an appt. I understand & accept that because she is helping her patients. It's hard to put a time limit on that. I notice some sour grapes have written awful things here about Dr. Carol. May I remind readers that Carol's patients have psych diagnoses, eating disorders, etc. They might not always behave appropriately. Their ratings are skewed & I hope my experience benefits someone who may be considering Dr. Carol K for help with their eating disorder or body image issues.

flag | Submitted February 6, 2011

All of what is written here is about this "professional" was exactly my experience as well. If it is the case that taxpayers are funding this woman's salary, it is an atrocity. Shame on any doctor that refers patients to Dr. Kostynuk as well.

flag | Submitted September 23, 2010

Health care professional? Not a very professional one! As my expertise is in the financial area, I am not prepared to comment on the other areas. Here are the financial facts. The Executive Director and Treasurer, NOT Dr. Kostynuk, lost the funding from Capital Health, due to spending money on unauthorized expenses. The organization is under investigation by Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission and Canada Revenue Agency, due to the same mismanagement of funds. Me Without Measure's phone has been disconnected. Do you think the ED and Treasurer finally spent all the money?

flag | Submitted March 18, 2010