Ratings for Dr. Carmel Anderson

I have been seeing Dr. Anderson for years now for a yearly checkup and she is very punctual and very friendly and knowledgeable and always give me a thorough check all over for any potential cancer spots and will double check any spots that I am concerned about.

flag | Submitted November 16, 2018

I went to Dr. Anderson with a rash on my eyelids that had transferred to my neck. My eyes were pretty much swollen shut and my neck was twice the size. Dr. Anderson instantly diagnosed the cause. Put me on medication that cleared it up. Working with the Dr. we came up with a plan. A skin rash could be caused by thousands of different things – stress, scratching from being itchy, food, allergies, laundry soap, home chemicals and the list goes on. Once she got my issue under control we worked together to figure out how come this was happening. It took 3 months but we finally figured it out and how to control it when I relapse. There is no magic pill for skin and Dr. Anderson continued to work with me until we found the answers and a cure.

flag | Submitted October 24, 2018

I went to Dr. Anderson with the hopes of discovering the odd red rash/inflammation on my forehead, sideburns and cheeks. I had shingles on my forehead back on March 30th which went away with Valtrex, however the shingles wound site remained red, and the redness quickly spread down my sideburns and my cheeks. Dr. Anderson told me this was a stress rash exacerbated by the shingles. I explained I had some weird painful bumps and an odd growth in my cheek, but she said that happens with stress and they will burn away. My skin progressively got worse, so I went back in 2 months later to show her the new acne like bumps that had formed. She told me I should be going back to my GP and receive care from them and not her. With no real explanation as to why skin issues shouldn't be treated by a dermatologist. In fact, she seemed extremely put off that I would have even considered coming in to see if she could help me as clearly my skin was getting much worse. Fast forward two weeks, my forehead, cheeks, sideburns, ears, neck and jawline had an insane outbreak of tiny white-headed boils and bumps that covered basically the entirety of my face. My sister (an RN) took one look at me and immediately identified it as a staph infection. I am now nearly done the first round of Cephalexin antibiotics and a topical Mupirocin which has certainly curbed the growth of almost all of the boils, but my underlying skin is still burning and very red. This is basically all over my entire face. I am assuming I will need multiple antibiotic treatments to get rid of this considering how bad it's gotten over the 8 months. Suffice it to say, I would think a skin infection, (the third most common complication of shingles, I have now learned) would be a pretty quick thing for a dermatologist to suggest treatment for after knowing a patient had open wound shingles, and that same location is now very red and inflamed. I don't know what would have happened had I not visited my sister. In some fairness to Dr. Anderson, I had seen 4 other doctors (KGH ER, and three separate GPs) who all said it's probably simple dermatitis. However, they aren't the skin experts. In the end, I feel like the health care system failed me miserably, and now I am missing work and am essentially quarantined until these boils stop discharging at the very least. Having a ski infection for 8 months is absurd. Not to mention the purple abscess in my cheek that I don't know what I'll do about. I'm 32 M and healthy. I'll risk the Coquihalla for any future skin issues, that's for sure.

flag | Submitted October 21, 2018

Not impressed whatsoever.....unknowledgeable, yawning At visit....avoided reason I was there....told me I needed psych Med. she was sending my Dr. An order for that ....very rude and uneducated,,.,,uncaring ,......worst Dr. I have ever seen........still dealing with same issues 7 years later...........a nightmare of a Dr.

flag | Submitted September 21, 2018

Worth the trip to Vancouver to avoid seeing her again. A waste of time and sad to see medical students are learning from her. I have seen Dr Anderson a few times and every time I am rushed out of there without a clear treatment and maintenance plan. There is no cure for my condition and she did not appear interested in helping improve symptoms and was quick to refer back to family dr saying they need to perform a biopsy. Never explaining why she doesn't perform it there or at the very least order one. She does not treat more than one condition at a time....even though multiple conditions can be related/linked. I have better success with my family Dr and Naturopath. Save yourself the long wait and make the trip to Vancouver if you want a Dr that treats all of your dermatological issues.

flag | Submitted August 22, 2018

I've been seeing Dr. Anderson regularly for a number of years. She is knowledgeable, efficient, and has always communicated in a friendly and caring manner. Being the only dermatologist covering a very large area, it is understandable why wait times for appointments may be long. I highly recommend Dr. Anderson and have the utmost regard for her expertise.

flag | Submitted July 5, 2018

Dr Anderson runs an efficient practice and it appears there is insufficient patient time but all concerns and procedures were addressed.

flag | Submitted June 12, 2018

Office called me months ago to book my annual check for skin cancer. I called he office to confirm appointment time and they claimed I never had an appointment and that I now have to go back through the referral system and wait up to another whole year to get my appointment. Front end staff very rude and unprofessional. Very disappointing.

flag | Submitted May 29, 2018

Dr. Anderson's treatment plan has been life changing for me. Her staff are compassionate, prompt and very friendly. I am beyond grateful to Dr. Anderson and her staff for giving me a better quality of life

flag | Submitted May 5, 2018

Reviews from the site and an appointment from 2006 had me outsource a dermatologist from Penticton years ago. After his retirement, with no other choice besides going to Vancouver I made another appointment with Dr. Anderson. I was dreading the appointment - but my skin condition was flaring up. My family doctor sent in a rush referral. It was a 4 month wait (I was expecting 8-10 months like years prior). Dr. Andersen had 1 student with her during my appointment. While she is not full of 'sunshine', she listened to my concerns, examined my skin and we discussed alternative treatments besides methotrexate. I did not feel rushed. My questions were answered and I was put into a new treatment plan. I am now in the office 3x a week. Her front staff are incredible. Friendly, warm and welcoming. I had a follow-up scheduled for 6 months later, but needed to see Dr. Andersen sooner. I was able to get in to see her and of that week. The follow up was quick - but all questions were answered, the prescription was explained to me and I was on my way! Dr. Andersen is a brilliant doctor. However, if you are looking for a sympathic doctor to listen to all your 'woes' and give you a hug - she probably won't be the doctor for you. I appreciate the quick in and out!

flag | Submitted February 5, 2018