Ratings for Dr. Timothy H. Derstine

I think he is excellent and willing to try new things, but you must have a solid reason and understanding of why you disagree with him if you expect him to come around to your view. This is better than most, who will not listen or try something new. Very funny underneath collected exterior, and genuinely cares. Don't be afraid to stick to your gut and make requests, but don't expect to be taken seruously if you haven't also done your homework. He is an expert, but you are the only person who knows your body/mind. I've found him willing to listen and try to see things from my perspective. It is possible to disagree and still receive good care.

flag | Submitted May 6, 2015

I have to agree with the comment about him not taking insurance. I'd been seeing him for a while when he mailed a letter to patients with almost all insurance (including the faculty and grad student one) saying that he was increasing his rate and not accepting insurance because he wasn't getting fully paid. As a grad student, I had to change psychiatrists and there was no negotiating even though my insurance paid practically the full amount. It's hard as someone making $15,000 to have sympathy for someone making hundreds of thousands of dollars. His attitude about the whole situation really stunk.

flag | Submitted April 22, 2010

Below comment is incorrect. He does accept some insurance plans--you have to ask. He is psychopharmacologically-oriented, but he asks insightful questions and has a playful sense of humor when trying to persuade you to his view. When I've got a problem, I can contact him by voicemail or email. He quite be quite adamant about a course of medication, but I have refused upon occasion. Works very closely with my psychologist--who is another group. There are no perfect doctors, and, especially, no perfect psychiatrists; but I think he's near the top of the pile.

flag | Submitted April 4, 2010

I saw Dr. Derstine for 6 years. At the beginning, I was happy with his care, however, then he did very little for me. My med checks were perfunctory and whenever I expressed problems (particulalry with exhaustion) he would tweak dosages. I finally saw another doctor who ordered labs durign our first appt. I had severe vitamin deficiencies, which were so low that I apparently must have had them for 5 years. Derstine was just talking with me for the requisite 20 minutes (often he was 30 minutes late) and would send me away with refills. He never requested blood work like this, which was so simple! He also has gone to a cash only practice and doesn't accept insurance - in a college town with so many students and low-income individuals this makes a huge statement about the clientele that he wants. AVOID HIM!

flag | Submitted January 21, 2010

Best psychiatrist I have ever had! Tough to get in--try to get a referral from another provider.

flag | Submitted December 16, 2008

Dr. Timothy H. Derstine's Credentials

• Temple University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1992)

Top Hospitals in State College, PA