Ratings for Dr. Ranjit Chacko

Dr. Chacko has been taking care of my father in-law for over 10 years, and his family has been happy with Dr. Chacko. I have heard of him while training in the geriatrics department at Baylor many years ago. As a physician, I am complaining about the staff that he has at his office. Apparently, he has only one staff with no office nurse (per my mother in-law). Majority of the time, when you call his office, it will go to a voice mail. And then you have to leave more messages if you need for his only staff member to call you back. I have been trying for a week and half to get an appointment for my mother as a new patient. I was politely referred to another physician as there was not an available opening sooner with Dr. Chacko. As it turns out, this other physician no longer practices geriatric psychiatry. I called his office back after trying two other offices to no avail as one physician stopped seeing geri psych, and the other stopped accepting Medicare. I left a message for his staff regarding the lack of luck that we have with other offices and that we will get in line for the next available new patient slot. I never heard back from Yvonne (Dr. Chacko's staff member). As an independent practitioner, a former Baylor graduate and assistant professor, I can not imagine how a real practice can function with a staff member who doesn't answer the phone most of the time. How does one take care of emergencies, and whether the messages actually get to Dr. Chacko. I am sure that Dr. Chacko is a good physician who can take care of patients well. My question is how serious is he in running his office with one staff who is hardly there. There is no back up contact number for urgency or emergency on their voice mail. It's a shame that I don't have the chance to meet Dr. Chacko, and have him take care of my mother. I rating is in regards to his staff only, and it does not reflect the rating of Dr. Chacko.

flag | Submitted February 2, 2015

Dr. Chacko is kind of a jerk. He is condescending and jumps to conclusions. I get that he is knowledgeable, but does not spend a lot of time explaining to his patients. This would be especially important considering the ECT he does is not a common treatment for depression. He does not know how to relate to young people.

flag | Submitted September 3, 2014

Was admitted to Memorial hospital and suffered from numerous painful medical conditions that lead me to the ER. Was treated like a drug seeker and evaluated by him, and did not spend much time talking to me about what issues were actually going on with me. I think it is important that a psychiatrist listen to a patient. Because I have bipolar illness I think this played a big part in the indifference that was shown to me, and the assumption that I was drug seeking. I believe strongly that the hospital and staff summed me up this way, and that is why this doctor was assigned to evaluate me. I would not see a doctor like this who would "sum" me up by my illness without hearing me, and understanding all issues related to my care and health. Use caution when seeing this doctor, and be direct when dealing with him. I might add so you understand, I have had 4 spinal surgeries, neck and back, and have severe chronic pain.

flag | Submitted November 1, 2011

My daughter was referred to Dr. Chacko just prior to a recent surgery. Prior to going, my daughter was in very bad shape and her surgeon wondered whether she could tolerate surgery. Dr. Chacko evaluated my daughter, took her off of the several medications her previous doctor had given her and started her on one med. He was very knowledgeable, kind and sensitive - exactly what my daughter needed. Luckily, my daughter came through surgery with flying colors and is now off of all psych meds and doing wonderfully - better than she has been in years! If she ever has need for a psychiatrist in the future, she would go back to Dr. Chacko without a moment's hesitation. He's a great doctor!

flag | Submitted October 18, 2011

Dr. Ranjit Chacko's Credentials

• Univ Of Colombo, Fac Of Med, Colombo, Sri Lanka (Grad. 1971)