Ratings for Dr. John Boockvar

I don't understand the negative comments about Dr. Boockvar's personality. I have found him to be not only a skilled surgeon, but an interested and compassionate listener who is able to explain complex medical procedures in layman's terms. His nurse practioner, Ashley Ray, deserves special mention.

flag | Submitted September 16, 2016

Dr Boockvar is the best. Seen 2 other neurosurgeons prior to meeting Dr Boockvar so I have someone to compare with. Had surgery done in 2013 and might need more . I will not think twice , I will choose Dr Boockvar again. Ashley is just amazing. His team was professional, polite and paid close attention post surgery .

flag | Submitted May 23, 2014

I have no doubt as to Dr. Boockvar's intelligence and his dedication to his research. But in my experience and opinion, which is contained in the rest of these comments: Dr. Boockvar has an ego problem that does not work well with patients. He is abrupt, seems to have better things to do, and acts almost as though seeing you is a bother. I have also now just been diagnosed with Arachnoiditis from him cutting through the dura into the arachnoid layer of my spinal cord and S1--proved by two MRI's and an EMG, resulting in massive scarring and nerve clumping. I have recently been informed that I will have this inordinately painful condition for the rest of my life. I could not file for malpractice as the condition only reveals itself over time and NY has a very short 2 1/2 year statute of limitations. I felt like just another body, and one he could have cared less about personally. The outcome, unfortunately, seems to have proven that. I would not wish on anyone else this experience.

flag | Submitted December 1, 2012

Dr. Boockvar is the best surgeon - but forget about ever being able to reach him if you have a problem - you could forget about it - it won't happen - you will speak with some one from his staff that's about it. I wonder for my first post up if I will be seeing him or one of the other doctor's like my sister did after her first post up. Any way he is very good at what he does the best surgeon in NY. But good luck getting in touch with him.

flag | Submitted December 4, 2010

Dr. Boockvar is extremely knowledgeable and helped me and my family feel at ease. He made a very tough situation bearable. I would highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted October 1, 2010

Dr. is dismissive, condescending and does not listen to patient's concerns. Although he is reported to be a top surgeon, patient interaction does not appear to be one of his strong points.

flag | Submitted May 7, 2010

He removed my tumor without a problem. He and his staff presented a positive and professional attitude, always willing to answer any of my questions. I would recommend him to anyone. S. Watkins, Farmingdale NY

flag | Submitted July 14, 2009

He said my back pain would get better, but now it is hurting more. He never ever calls you back. Only some assistant who doesn't know me

flag | Submitted July 5, 2009

A fantastic surgeon who knows it and has a pompous attitude because of it. Good luck trying to get any of your questions answered post op, and if you do ever get him on the phone expect a cavalier and dismissive attitude.

flag | Submitted March 19, 2009

Happy with him.

flag | Submitted February 8, 2008

Dr. John Boockvar's Credentials

• State University Of New York Downstate Medical Center (Grad. 1997)