Ratings for Dr. Howard A. Glick

I took my child to see Dr. Glick in the summer of 2013. He was having anxiety and intrusive thoughts. I did not find Dr. Glick to be "warm and fuzzy", nor compassionate. During our "session", he even interrupted the visit to set up his lunch date with his wife. He was also a bit sarcastic at times. Not the kind of doctor you want caring for your loved one who is already suffering from panic attacks and anxiety. Dr. Glick diagnosed my child with a very serious mental condition and place him on strong anti-psychotic drugs costing $800. My husband and I did not feel comfortable with this decision, but we were told and cautioned that if we did not follow his advice, our child could end up in a mental hospital, or worse. The "good" doctor encouraged our child to communicate with him through his on-line site. I thought this was good idea; However, whenever my child did so, Dr Glick was "short", and non compassionate. My child wrote him several times to inform him that he was having serious symptoms, such as, shortness of breath, chest pain, rapid heartbeats, hallucinations, numbness and tingling in limbs, etc. Dr. Glick told him to go to the Emergency room; We did as instructed and drove our son to the ER. My husband and I were scared to death. We sat helplessly watching our child deteriorate before our eyes. He seemed worst off now then before we had taken him to see this doctor. The ER physicians ran multiple test on our child and contacted Dr. Glick, who changed his prescriptions. While I was in the ER, one of the doctors shared her story with me about her daughter who was bipolar. She told me that she had great success with the psychiatrist who was treating her, so I asked for her name and number in hopes that maybe she could help my poor suffering child. My child was released from the ER with his new medicine and, once again, he had serious side effects. Dr. Glick changed his meds again, only to have the same outcome a few days later. My child fell into a deep depression. He contacted Dr. Glick one final time to tell him about his symptoms and Dr. Glick simply replied, "Just stop taking the medicine." Dr.Glick never followed up with my son nor did he check on him. And he never tried to assist us in getting my child to therapy. My poor son would check his online account every day in hopes of getting an email from Dr. Glick, but there never were any. Scared and upset, I scheduled an appointment with the psychiatrist that the ER doctor had recommended. She was WONDERFUL! She was warm, compassionate, and correctly diagnosed my child. It turned out that my child only had a severe case of OCD and an anxiety disorder that has successfully been treated with a $10 bottle of Zoloft and Klonopin. She also set my child up with a therapist and one year later, he is doing great! Dr. Glick misdiagnosed my child and put him on dangerous medicines without any care or regard to his health. He could have caused severe damage to my son. I am so thankful to God that the ER doctor recommended me to see another psychiatrist. People who suffer from any form of mental illness are already scared and feel alone. Many suffer in silence. It takes courage for them to finally get help. Some have no support from family or friends. They need a psychiatrist that is going to truly CARE, and Dr. Glick, in my honest opinion, is NOT that person. It's my opinion that maybe Dr. Glick was only interested in getting some kind of "kick back" from the pharmaceutical companies and not at all interested in helping my son.

flag | Submitted September 20, 2014

Dr. Glick exhibits excellent bedside manner, compassion and genuinely cares patients the well being of his patients. He is somewhat traditional though not to a fault. He also views each patient as an individual w/individual needs. He sees the true potential for betterment and wellness in the people he treats. He also practices w/the utmost patience, understanding the battle against mental illness is not won overnight or single-handedly. Dr. Glick is always open to suggestion, strongly taking into account patient feedback. In my 15 years battling mental illness I've experienced many Dr.'s and Howard Glick earned himself, in my opinion, as one of the top two in Northern Virginia.

flag | Submitted January 15, 2012

Acts like a know it all, belittles your feelings to the point where you feel like he's making fun of you. Very old school. Not up to date on current studies or medication. Really disappointing.

flag | Submitted December 7, 2010

Dr. Howard A. Glick's Credentials

• Michigan State University College Of Osteopathic Medicine (Grad. 1973)