You may also like

Ratings for Dr. Sylvia Garnis-Jones

Utterly horrific. I knew I had a form of skin cancer. I was referred to her, she took a biopsy and I never heard back from her thinking no need is good news. Apparently, it was cancerous, no follow up, no concern from her or her staff of uneducated interns.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2016

Just saw her today, my mom accompanied me. She has since moved out of Ontario apparently and into British Columbia... wonder why after reading these reviews..? Had to wait months to get in, but not uncommon for a specialist around here. Probably only had to wait 30 minutes or so before going into a smaller room. Did have to wait a bit longer but felt reasonable. Staff was very friendly and helpful, was a mother daughter team - you couldn't tell. Went to her to have all of my moles looked at. Dr. Garnis-Jones was nice enough but for some reason it doesn't feel like I can trust her, it's like I got the feeling that she wasn't a real doctor, even though she is. She had me strip in front of her into bra and undies - no gown. I personally didn't care about showing my body to an older woman but some people may find that uncomfortable. She did have me get dressed quickly after though. She quickly looked at all my moles and picked out two that said I should have surgically removed by a plastic surgeon due to the location of one of them (health reasons, not cosmetic.) They weren't of course random however, they are both the biggest of mine and they've both been changing shape / size in the past year or so. She just seemed weird (I try not to judge, just explaining the vibe I got) and didn't use any medical terms or explained her reasoning. I've seen another dermatologist (farther away from home) several times before who gave me a gown (was however a male doctor) and individually looked at every single mole and even looked at my scalp. Even my family doctor who is obviously not a mole specialist has talked to me about moles and what to look out for etc. And when she asked things like "How do you feel about having your daughter's moles removed?" and "How do you feel about taking your daughter to a plastic surgeon?" she asked my mom the questions, and sort of left me out of it, as if I was 12 years old or had no say in the matter - but she knew I was 22 years old, said so right on her paper in front of her. It may have been more polite if she asked "How do you both feel about.." If it doesn't cost too much money for my mom and if the surgeon also thinks it's a good idea for health reasons, I will have it done.

flag | Submitted December 15, 2015

I went to Dr. Garnis-Jones with a condition called Pityriasis Rosea which manifests itself in the form of blotchy, scaley, raised rashes all over my body. I was anxious and feeling hopeless because my wedding was one month away and the rashes typically endure for about 6 weeks. Dr. Garnis-Jones was kind, knowledgeable and confident in her treatment plan. I was prescribed a cream that obliterated all traces of my rash within a week. Now, several weeks after my wedding, I feel like I owe it to her to report back on this website that I am so appreciative to have been treated by her.

flag | Submitted June 30, 2015

I went in to see her regarding stubborn oily skin. She tried me on one topical and one oral pill which neither of them worked. She then tried to sell me on her own skin care line which was ridiculously expensive, as well as a chemical peal. After I told her I didn't have that kind of money to spend and was more so looking for a prescription as it's covered by medical, she told me she couldn't help me as there was nothing else she could do. I went to a different dermatologist and the first thing she prescribed me worked...... Don't waste your time on her.

flag | Submitted June 11, 2015

I was referred to dr. Jones a few years ago with regards to a "rare" skin condition that affected the hands and feet. My skin and nails on my hands and feet were falling off, I had options to pull the nails off or just let them fall off and my hand a feet had blood blisters all over them. After seeing dr. Jones she looked at me for a few minutes, glanced at my hands and feet and told me "I would have to live with this for the rest of my life". 2 years later for different reasons I decide to go gluten free. After 2 days the blisters stopped completely , I'm at 2 weeks gluten free and I would say 75% completely healed. I absolutely cannot believe it , not only was she wrong but she destroyed any hope of me trying to fix this and I spent 2 yrs suffering because of this. Reconsider your options .

flag | Submitted August 8, 2014

Dr. Garnis-Jones was thorough and pleasant. She used a large magnifying glass to check my back, shoulder, chest etc and treated areas of concern effectively with dry ice.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2013

I had been going there for over a year for UVB light therapy. I went away on vacation, came back and could not get anyone on the phone to make more appointments. Found out she had moved. I left a message at two of her other offices but no call back from anyone. I went to my FD and he advised that she no longer does these treatments. Someone from her office could have had the curtesy to call me about this. Still have the problem but now my FB is taking care of it himself with skin cream that appears to be working better.

flag | Submitted October 7, 2012

flag | Submitted August 13, 2012

Very disappointed. Waited 4 months for initial appointment and saw the doctor for 30 seconds. Gave me a touch of "dry ice" product and refused to look at a second site. Second appointment 6 months later, results just as disappointing. Looks like an advertisement for botox gone bad. Will never return.

flag | Submitted July 1, 2012

Have had two appointments near the end of the day and both were over an hour and a half late. Your appointment becomes very rushed and Dr is impatient and short both with the patient and her staff. Will not perform even the most minor of surgery (referral) beyond a biopsy ,won't look at more than one issue (another appointment) and has the bedside manner of a porcupine. I felt my first experience may have been a bad day so I refrained from any rating until a second experience. No difference ...she is what she is. I have had years of skin cancer treatment by other dermatologists and always left with a confidence that I had been carefully examined ...not so with Garis-Jones...because I haven't.If you have been referred but have yet to see this doctor - go back to your family physician and ask for a different Dermatologist.With respect to the support staff , they have been friendly ,efficient,apologetic , and then the "Doctor" snaps at them .

flag | Submitted June 26, 2012

Dr. Sylvia Garnis-Jones's Credentials

Please call the Doctor's office to find out if your insurance plan is accepted.

Updates

• A new 1-star rating has been posted. "Utterly horrific. I knew I had a form of skin cancer. I was referred to her, she took a biopsy and I never heard back from her thinking no need is good news. A..."

January 29, 2016
  • A new 3.8-star rating has been posted. "Just saw her today, my mom accompanied me. She has since moved out of Ontario apparently and into British Columbia... wonder why after reading these reviews..? ..."

December 15, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "I went to Dr. Garnis-Jones with a condition called Pityriasis Rosea which manifests itself in the form of blotchy, scaley, raised rashes all over my body. I wa..."

June 30, 2015
  • A new 3-star rating has been posted. "I went in to see her regarding stubborn oily skin. She tried me on one topical and one oral pill which neither of them worked. She then tried to sell me on her ..."

June 11, 2015
  • Website has been updated from "http://www.puristederm.com" to "http://www.puristederm.com/". Postal Code has been updated from "L2E0" to "L2R 5W1". Address has been updated from "None" to "23 Duke Street". Phone Number has been updated from "None" to "19056847546".

June 3, 2015