Ratings for Dr. Sylvia Garnis-Jones

More than 45 minutes late without any apology let alone acknowledgement. Dismissive and short. Despite waiting for months for an appointment (not her fault the system is burdened) and obviously needing the services of a specialist, I will ask for an alternative referral.

flag | Submitted May 15, 2017

There's a comment below that says unfortunately medical students who rave about her teaching don't comment here. Well I am a UBC medical student who has been taught by Dr Garnis-Jones and she is extremely knowledgable and a valuable part of the teaching program at UBC. The ratings on this site are very discouraging to those of us who aspire to be doctors as many fine physicians are ravaged for being late or having poor bedside manners. I think if doctors could rate their patients, many would receive poor marks for tolerance and politeness and at times high marks for ignorance and rudeness. I'm sure others who work with the public would agree

flag | Submitted May 7, 2017

The positive comments below are clearly from her office staff trying to improve the ratings. She was an hour late for my appointment which I waited three months for. I totally understand that there can be emergencies with specialists however I feel like this is more a case of over booking since there are so many complaints about her punctuality. I had been breaking out in hives but wasn't at the time, so I showed her a picture. She said "this looks complicated, I think I will refer you to someone else". I really got the feeling that if I wasn't there for botox, fillers, or laser treatment then she wasn't interested whatsoever with me.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2017

Extremely late. Terrible communications skills, brushes things off and does not take the time to listen like other doctors I have been to. Will not come back again.

flag | Submitted January 17, 2017

Terrible in every possible way. Gotta laugh at the reviews below serving as advertisements for cosmetic treatments. Try not to make it so obvious you are reviewing yourself next time.

flag | Submitted October 13, 2016

The doctor was so late and staff so rude that I do not recommend seeing this doctor. She had paitents scheduled 5 minutes apart. What a waist of time..

flag | Submitted October 7, 2016

I didn't plan to comment but I agree with the last rater. If you want excellent dermatological knowledge combined with surgical skill for cosmetic treatments, Dr. Garnis is the one to see. If you want receptionists who never joke and long appointments, go to someone who isn't very good, they'll have plenty of time to talk with you. Frequently when I have seen her, she has a UBC medical student with her. One of them told me when she had to take a phone call and left us to talk, that they learn more in a day in her office than they do at the UBC dermatology hospital clinic. Unfortunately medical students don't contribute to these reviews

flag | Submitted August 18, 2016

Many doctors now practice cosmetic procedures but few really know what they are doing. I have great experiences with Dr Garnis-Jones both with botox and fillers. I asked her why she was so good with these procedures and she said maybe experience as well as having a masters degree in anatomy. I guess if you are putting needles into the muscles of the face it might help to know where exactly the muscles are. I would rather have someone who knows how to do these procedures than have serious staff or long appointments with lots of small talk. If you need such things, maybe better to see a psychiatrist

flag | Submitted July 22, 2016

As I can see some of the not so good ratings, that these patients are not so good human beings. I have seen Dr. Garnis-Jones for two separate occasions. Both occasions she diagnosed both spot on and fixed the issues. If you are courteous and polite, you get that back. If you are selfish, ignorant human beings, what may I ask do you expect back? It's the selfish human beings that must rate and rant and rave that they didn't get exactly what they wanted. Shame on you! I would highly recommend this Dr.

flag | Submitted July 8, 2016

I'm surprised by the comments on the atmosphere of the office. I have always found it to be very friendly and inviting. It's a nice change of pace to see front office staff who are funny and seem happy to be there, rather than the usual grumpy receptionists I've encountered at many other specialist offices. I have been a few times with no issue, and the Doctor has always been kind to me. I recommend.

flag | Submitted July 8, 2016