Ratings for Dr. Sylvia Garnis-Jones

I waited for several months to see dr garnis jones for a persistent rash/acne that hasn't responded to any treatments from my gp. I was in and out of her office in less than 5 minutes, ten if the waiting room time is included. She barely looked at my face and said that while I'm nursing there isn't much she can do for me.

flag | Submitted August 24, 2017

Saw Dr. Garnis-Jones in 2004 when she practiced in Ottawa. I had mild-moderate acne outbreak during that time and was prescribed a steroid-antiobiotic cream. I was provided no instructions or a follow-up appointment to monitor its effectiveness. As a result, after nearly a year of use, my face became resistant to the cream and I developed a fungal based reaction, which to this day has been hard to manage. I agree with most on this web-site, that dermatologists like Dr. Garnis-Jones are more into the high-margin business of cosmetic dermatology. Avoid her if you have a skin disease.

flag | Submitted August 22, 2017

Hello, I am posting on behalf of Dr. Garnis-Jones. Thank you for all of your comments. We have taken into consideration everyone's feedback, positive and negative. We will work hard to improve our service. In regards to the comment about all of the reception staff being related to the doctor, this is a completely false statement. The doctor does not have three daughters. She only has one who does not work in the clinic. However, she will be joining the team in the near future. We would appreciate if people didn't spread incorrect information about the doctor and her family. Thank you!

flag | Submitted June 20, 2017

More than 45 minutes late without any apology let alone acknowledgement. Dismissive and short. Despite waiting for months for an appointment (not her fault the system is burdened) and obviously needing the services of a specialist, I will ask for an alternative referral.

flag | Submitted May 15, 2017

There's a comment below that says unfortunately medical students who rave about her teaching don't comment here. Well I am a UBC medical student who has been taught by Dr Garnis-Jones and she is extremely knowledgable and a valuable part of the teaching program at UBC. The ratings on this site are very discouraging to those of us who aspire to be doctors as many fine physicians are ravaged for being late or having poor bedside manners. I think if doctors could rate their patients, many would receive poor marks for tolerance and politeness and at times high marks for ignorance and rudeness. I'm sure others who work with the public would agree

flag | Submitted May 7, 2017

The positive comments below are clearly from her office staff trying to improve the ratings. She was an hour late for my appointment which I waited three months for. I totally understand that there can be emergencies with specialists however I feel like this is more a case of over booking since there are so many complaints about her punctuality. I had been breaking out in hives but wasn't at the time, so I showed her a picture. She said "this looks complicated, I think I will refer you to someone else". I really got the feeling that if I wasn't there for botox, fillers, or laser treatment then she wasn't interested whatsoever with me.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2017

Extremely late. Terrible communications skills, brushes things off and does not take the time to listen like other doctors I have been to. Will not come back again.

flag | Submitted January 17, 2017

Terrible in every possible way. Gotta laugh at the reviews below serving as advertisements for cosmetic treatments. Try not to make it so obvious you are reviewing yourself next time.

flag | Submitted October 13, 2016

The doctor was so late and staff so rude that I do not recommend seeing this doctor. She had paitents scheduled 5 minutes apart. What a waist of time..

flag | Submitted October 7, 2016

I didn't plan to comment but I agree with the last rater. If you want excellent dermatological knowledge combined with surgical skill for cosmetic treatments, Dr. Garnis is the one to see. If you want receptionists who never joke and long appointments, go to someone who isn't very good, they'll have plenty of time to talk with you. Frequently when I have seen her, she has a UBC medical student with her. One of them told me when she had to take a phone call and left us to talk, that they learn more in a day in her office than they do at the UBC dermatology hospital clinic. Unfortunately medical students don't contribute to these reviews

flag | Submitted August 18, 2016