Ratings for Dr. Sylvia Garnis-Jones

Staff smoking right outside the front door when we got there. First met with man who I though was a doctor who said concerning bump was probably cancer. Then Dr. Sylvia came in and said it was an ingrown hair. Made another appointment to have it removed. At that appointment I waited an hour to be seen and right when she was about to stick a needle in the bump she asked me why I was doing this. She then informed me that the procedure probably won't completely take out hair and it will take me a month to heal. I decided to get out of there. Very dirty office, plugged bathroom sink and toilet. I will never go back.

flag | Submitted May 5, 2016

I am a doctor myself and was referred to Dr Garnis-Jones for removal of a facial skin lesion. She was recommended by a colleague who had heard her speak at a medical conference. I found her to be skillful and knowledgable. I find this site to be very unforgiving of the doctors rated here including myself. She is frequently described as rushed and unable to deal with more than 1 problem. Welcome to modern day medicine. Medical practice is not fast food. Emergencies can appear taking time away from other patients. Also patients often don't show for appointments without canceling. These ratings are biased with unfortunate experiences that are frequently unavoidable. "Staying away" from this doctor's practice is a loss for the patient who wants care from an experienced dermatologist who knows her stuff. Her status as a clinical professor at UBC, formerly at McMaster should say more than the ratings published here

flag | Submitted April 29, 2016

STAY AWAY!!!!! This is the most UNprofessional doctors appointment I have ever been to, the girls up front are all related to the doctor and they talk about people, laughing and talking so loud it's ridiculous!! All they did was talk about the Paul McCartney concert they were going to and yelling at each other across the room. I've never witnessed this in any doctors office I my life!! The doctor spent about 1 minute with me. Do NOT waste your time going there request a different specialist!!!!!!

flag | Submitted April 21, 2016

I went to this derm for acne issues. She takes less than 1-2 minutes looking at your skin and then another 3 minutes recommending her Puriste product. I purchased the product and it did nothing. For my follow up appointment I told her and she was offended I told her that her product didnt work. I do not reccomend this derm.

flag | Submitted March 29, 2016

I saw the doctor for treatment of a scar and a mole check. She spoke to me for 2 minutes and told me I needed another longer appt. for the mole check, and a separate appointment for injection of the scar. She gave me a prescription for me to purchase the cortisone to bring with me for that appointment. I drove 40 minutes to see her basically for nothing. My daughter saw another dermatologist for scar treatment and he injected her on the first visit, which is what I was expecting To have done here. Why she doesn't have cortisone there already is beyond me. The waiting room chairs are filthy, and the treatment room floor was dirty. There was a blanket over her exam table, no paper in sight. Very un- professional.

flag | Submitted March 9, 2016

Utterly horrific. I knew I had a form of skin cancer. I was referred to her, she took a biopsy and I never heard back from her thinking no need is good news. Apparently, it was cancerous, no follow up, no concern from her or her staff of uneducated interns.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2016

Just saw her today, my mom accompanied me. She has since moved out of Ontario apparently and into British Columbia... wonder why after reading these reviews..? Had to wait months to get in, but not uncommon for a specialist around here. Probably only had to wait 30 minutes or so before going into a smaller room. Did have to wait a bit longer but felt reasonable. Staff was very friendly and helpful, was a mother daughter team - you couldn't tell. Went to her to have all of my moles looked at. Dr. Garnis-Jones was nice enough but for some reason it doesn't feel like I can trust her, it's like I got the feeling that she wasn't a real doctor, even though she is. She had me strip in front of her into bra and undies - no gown. I personally didn't care about showing my body to an older woman but some people may find that uncomfortable. She did have me get dressed quickly after though. She quickly looked at all my moles and picked out two that said I should have surgically removed by a plastic surgeon due to the location of one of them (health reasons, not cosmetic.) They weren't of course random however, they are both the biggest of mine and they've both been changing shape / size in the past year or so. She just seemed weird (I try not to judge, just explaining the vibe I got) and didn't use any medical terms or explained her reasoning. I've seen another dermatologist (farther away from home) several times before who gave me a gown (was however a male doctor) and individually looked at every single mole and even looked at my scalp. Even my family doctor who is obviously not a mole specialist has talked to me about moles and what to look out for etc. And when she asked things like "How do you feel about having your daughter's moles removed?" and "How do you feel about taking your daughter to a plastic surgeon?" she asked my mom the questions, and sort of left me out of it, as if I was 12 years old or had no say in the matter - but she knew I was 22 years old, said so right on her paper in front of her. It may have been more polite if she asked "How do you both feel about.." If it doesn't cost too much money for my mom and if the surgeon also thinks it's a good idea for health reasons, I will have it done.

flag | Submitted December 15, 2015

I went to Dr. Garnis-Jones with a condition called Pityriasis Rosea which manifests itself in the form of blotchy, scaley, raised rashes all over my body. I was anxious and feeling hopeless because my wedding was one month away and the rashes typically endure for about 6 weeks. Dr. Garnis-Jones was kind, knowledgeable and confident in her treatment plan. I was prescribed a cream that obliterated all traces of my rash within a week. Now, several weeks after my wedding, I feel like I owe it to her to report back on this website that I am so appreciative to have been treated by her.

flag | Submitted June 30, 2015

I went in to see her regarding stubborn oily skin. She tried me on one topical and one oral pill which neither of them worked. She then tried to sell me on her own skin care line which was ridiculously expensive, as well as a chemical peal. After I told her I didn't have that kind of money to spend and was more so looking for a prescription as it's covered by medical, she told me she couldn't help me as there was nothing else she could do. I went to a different dermatologist and the first thing she prescribed me worked...... Don't waste your time on her.

flag | Submitted June 11, 2015

I was referred to dr. Jones a few years ago with regards to a "rare" skin condition that affected the hands and feet. My skin and nails on my hands and feet were falling off, I had options to pull the nails off or just let them fall off and my hand a feet had blood blisters all over them. After seeing dr. Jones she looked at me for a few minutes, glanced at my hands and feet and told me "I would have to live with this for the rest of my life". 2 years later for different reasons I decide to go gluten free. After 2 days the blisters stopped completely , I'm at 2 weeks gluten free and I would say 75% completely healed. I absolutely cannot believe it , not only was she wrong but she destroyed any hope of me trying to fix this and I spent 2 yrs suffering because of this. Reconsider your options .

flag | Submitted August 8, 2014

Dr. Sylvia Garnis-Jones's Credentials

Please call the Doctor's office to find out if your insurance plan is accepted.

Updates

• A new 2.2-star rating has been posted. "Staff smoking right outside the front door when we got there. First met with man who I though was a doctor who said concerning bump was probably cancer. Then Dr..."

May 5, 2016
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "I am a doctor myself and was referred to Dr Garnis-Jones for removal of a facial skin lesion. She was recommended by a colleague who had heard her speak at a me..."

April 29, 2016
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "STAY AWAY!!!!! This is the most UNprofessional doctors appointment I have ever been to, the girls up front are all related to the doctor and they talk about peo..."

April 21, 2016
  • A new 2.2-star rating has been posted. "I went to this derm for acne issues. She takes less than 1-2 minutes looking at your skin and then another 3 minutes recommending her Puriste product. I purchas..."

March 29, 2016
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "I saw the doctor for treatment of a scar and a mole check. She spoke to me for 2 minutes and told me I needed another longer appt. for the mole check, and a sep..."

March 9, 2016
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "Utterly horrific. I knew I had a form of skin cancer. I was referred to her, she took a biopsy and I never heard back from her thinking no need is good news. A..."

January 29, 2016
  • A new 3.8-star rating has been posted. "Just saw her today, my mom accompanied me. She has since moved out of Ontario apparently and into British Columbia... wonder why after reading these reviews..? ..."

December 15, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "I went to Dr. Garnis-Jones with a condition called Pityriasis Rosea which manifests itself in the form of blotchy, scaley, raised rashes all over my body. I wa..."

June 30, 2015
  • A new 3-star rating has been posted. "I went in to see her regarding stubborn oily skin. She tried me on one topical and one oral pill which neither of them worked. She then tried to sell me on her ..."

June 11, 2015
  • Website has been updated from "http://www.puristederm.com" to "http://www.puristederm.com/". Postal Code has been updated from "L2E0" to "L2R 5W1". Address has been updated from "None" to "23 Duke Street". Phone Number has been updated from "None" to "19056847546".

June 3, 2015