Ratings for Dr. Robert C. Cantu

I suffered from severe migraine headaches for years. My doctors would continually prescribe pain medication to a point that I was barely functional. I went to see Dr. Cantu and after testing me for obvious things like tumors and spinal issues he emediately prescribed a medication to prevent me from getting the migraines and weined me off the other prescription meds. He also helped me to get my life on track through simple my walking a mile a day and drinking lots of water., also not eating fried foods and not eating after 8pm. This was easy to accomplish since this new regiment didn't require me to go on any crash diet or join a gym and work out constantly. What it did do was allow my body to heal itself through simple changes and allowed my body to decide what I needed. In three months I was off all meds, waking 3 miles a day and losing 60 lbs. it has been 30 years since I last visited Dr. Cantu and can only praise him for saving my life. I have not had a migraine since then. As far as bedside manner, my response is this. Do you want a sweet talker or do you want to be healed? I choose healed.

flag | Submitted December 29, 2015

Dr Cantu saw me many years ago for what was" The biggest herniated disk he had ever seen" Yes his words. He said surgery was the only option, I totally agreed as I had been suffering for years. This was pre-internet days so I did not have the knowledge as to what might happen if I went untreated. Well I found out, though I asked him to please do THAT DAY, he refused to operate on me for almost two weeks. He was busy. Well a few days went by and I woke up to no muscle tone at all, I could not walk. There was just skin flapping on my leg. So I get my emergency surgery but It was too late I had lost them for good. I was sent home day after surgery on a stretcher. I had three children, two very young and I was caring for an elderly parent. I did not sue as I just wanted help. His idea of help was NOTHING. I have had several other surgeries since with a new Dr. I have not worked and have no life. I am on pain medication which will be forever. I am now 54 and walk like an 90 year old with no balance. He would not sign so I could get disability. He has no idea how his one senseless act ruined my life and he refused me even the smallest benefit so I could join a pool. I can't ask my family to sacrifice any more money on me.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2015

Not even a hand shake upon meeting . My teen age son was shocked that a Doctor would not shake his hand. He would not let us speak. Not a good listener. Office staff was quick with us and acted like they are doing us a favor. My son made a comment that he probably treats his famous or star athletes way better. Not impressed.

flag | Submitted June 10, 2013

Great doctor, one of the top in his field. Very knowledgeable, personable, and helpful. Really glad I found and chose him for post-concussion syndrome. His help has been invaluable on this long brain injury journey. Highly recommended.

flag | Submitted October 4, 2011

Dr. Cantu has performed three microdiscectomys on my lumbar spine to correct 3 separate herniated discs over 5 years. All operations were exteremely successful with very fast recovery. I had such a good experience with the first surgery, that when the second and third lumbar discs ruptured I immediately called him. He saw me on short notice, reviewed my MRI with me, answered my questions, and fit me in quickly to have it fixed. Yes he has a dry personality, but once you get to know him he really is a nice guy and more than willing to answer your questions. His knowledge and years of experience speak for themself.

flag | Submitted September 19, 2007

Dr.Cantu is only interested in giving spinal injections. He has no personal skills, ignored any questions I asked, did not provide me with any help for my spinal problem. Also, his secretarial staff is very rude. I found a much better spinal doctor in the Concord area. I would never go back to see him again - don't waste your time with this cold fish.

flag | Submitted June 4, 2007

He has no personal skills whatsoever. He is not good at relaying info to the patient, particularly about the big picture.

flag | Submitted January 5, 2007

Dr. Robert C. Cantu's Credentials

• University Of California, San Francisco School Of Medicine (Grad. 1963)

HIP