Ratings for Dr. J.L. Van Zyl

Had no choice as he was on call that night , took my mom in with a large lump on her arm as it appeared so suddenly, he seemed bothered we were there was very abrupt saying its a blood clot it will dissolve on its own !?! I said I don't think so !? He was rude and said who's the doctor here !? I said we will be seeking another opinion and he stomped off there was a intern there the whole time and he said to us yes you can seek another opinion , I think he knew also it was not a clot , the next day I take her to her regular Dr and find out it's a ganglion it was cut out the following day !!! How can a Dr NOT know the difference worst doc I've seen in a long time

flag | Submitted October 25, 2018

Was rude and abrupt and difficult to talk to ..my mom had a stroke and he said you can take her home she never looked after herself because she never took blood pressure meds correctly what do you expect implying she deserved to have a stroke

flag | Submitted March 16, 2018

Doctor Van Zyl is part of an honorable, diapering breed - a compassionate family doctor that listens and takes to time to address all of your concerns. When I was in Melville hospital, he would do his morning rounds at six or seven am. If I was awake, he always took the time to speak with me. When my badly injured arm wasn't healing and when my pain was not under control, he was willing to listen to the ideas of the nursing staff who dealt with me daily. He has provided excellent care, beginning years before my serious car accident, and continuing to the present, where I struggle with chronic pain, and deal with infection in my jaw and teeth while I wait for oral surgery, while struggling to get through tertiary rehab at Wascana and the other problems that being hit head on has caused. He refers me to specialists I need to see, like a sleep specialist because I developed severe sleep apnea due to the pain med prescribed or a ENT because of the constant ringing in my ears since the collision. When I see him at the office, I take a list of questions and he takes the time to listen to my concerns and to explain things to me. I am so thankful to have him as the GP, he is a caring professional who keeps current with the advances in medicine. He also refuses to overbooked patients to make more money; if he is late to see you, odds are there was an emergency at the hospital or he was answering another patient's questions. Off

flag | Submitted February 4, 2017

Dr Van Zyl is great! Besides scaring my accidentally once he's excellent! I laugh about the scaring story now! He's our family dr. and has always been great! He makes me feel like it is worth bussing from Regina as a student to see him for medical advise! He's always been super good with my family.

flag | Submitted November 14, 2016

Dr Van zyl is the rudest Dr I have ever seen. He just does not seem to care. He makes you feel like you are wasting his time. I am Canadian and my taxes go toward his pay it sickens me, he needs an ad future adjustment. Pretty sad he treats Canadians like this and we have given him his career here.

flag | Submitted June 8, 2016

I have had 3 doctors in all my 54 years of life and Dr Van Zyl is great!!! He not only takes the necessary steps to deal with medical issues of his patients..immediately. He does not abuse patients time by making them come in for unnecessary visits. You can feel the genuine warmth and care when with him.

flag | Submitted February 9, 2016

Best doctor in the world!! Moved to regina and can't seem to find one who is so caring ,helpfull and kind like he is! Thanks van zyl!

flag | Submitted January 12, 2016

This Doctor does NOT listen and is rude and abrupt when he is seeing patients

flag | Submitted October 29, 2015

Very rude and abrupt. Hurry you right along as if you a big problem for him. He seems very disconcerted about what you are there for. I have been waiting for a surgeon for over 3 years and now husband needs a cardiologist he says will take at least 6 months and we were told by a cardiologist in a different province to see a cardio. Dr in a week definitely within the first month of my husbands heart attack. Van Zyl says what for you are fixed now you have a stent in. Are you a cardio Dr.??? Not good with children as he has 0 tolerance for them.

flag | Submitted February 13, 2015

have never had a concern with him... by far my fave doctor! and the only doctor my toddler will actually sit and listen to!!! that in itself speaks volumes! :-)

flag | Submitted January 7, 2015