You may also like

I wish this board was here 15 years ago. My son has had 3 surgeries to correct his lazy eye , all of them unsuccessful, each time I was reassured would be his last and here we are 15 years later with the same problem. He's extremely, rude, very greedy and I feel he should retire

flag | Submitted January 14, 2016

I am 15 and I have seen Dr. Bonn since I was two. The only reason I have yet to switch is because we haven't found an available optometrist yet. He is rude, hostile, and his wife is another piece of work. When I was a child, I was getting an eye exam and since I was about 3 years old, I was frustrated with what was going on and was fussy. His wife proceeded to take me by my forehead and hold me down to the chair with her hands. If you have young children, take the time to find someone else. All he cares about is clearly money. Not the customer.

flag | Submitted January 12, 2016

He fix my daughter eye 100 percent perfect.best doctor.

flag | Submitted December 9, 2015

I had this doctor in my high school years. He (and his wife) who worked together were very business oriented. They would push the purchase of contact lenses through their business. They also charged for every single question. I asked a 10 second question and they billed for it. When I asked them about it, they said "don't worry about it, your insurance covers it". Fairly impersonal service. Competence at issuing prescriptions is ok.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2015

Dr Gary Bonn receives top marks from our family. Bonn specializes in pediatric ophthalmology and his waiting room reflects his expertise and operating-room finesse. Good luck to you if you go searching for a regular ophthalmologist who does not have the same pediatric tenure. As the signs in the office clearly indicate, he does see urgent cases throughout the day. Sometimes you end up waiting, most times you don't. As someone who has waited, I always appreciate the fact that someone else's ill child is receiving the last minute care that they need. Who knows, maybe we'll be the ones coming in last-minute one day with an issue. On our last visit, we were over an hour early and the staff managed to have us in and out just as early. In response to a previous post, there is an indoor café 10 feet from his office door where you can buy food and drinks. All you need to do is advise the staff that you're stepping over there and you are all set. The waiting room is not a prison ! Dr Bonn has broad experience in child pediatric care. Therefore, if you are a parent interested in prognosis, possible outcomes, as well as options available, then Dr Bonn should be considered. Because he has seen so many cases that fall within the same diagnoses, he invariably has insight into what you, as a parent, can expect to happen over the course of many years. Some ratings on this site seem to be preoccupied with the subjective emotional responses of children to arduous circumstances, rather than the quality and long term impact of the care they received. Another advantage with Dr Bonn is that he runs a pediatric eye glass dispensary where the staff are just as knowledgeable, helpful, and well equipped with frame options at costs less than one would find elsewhere. He reports using a "cost plus dispensing fee" formula which would suggest that the goal is for childrens' eyewear to be affordable as opposed to Dr Bonn lining his pockets with cash. From what I've shelled out for glasses elsewhere, I'll stay with the service, products, and convenience of buying eyewear from his dispensary. Personally, I would be cautious before placing any weight on some of the adverse reviews that leverage on one-off subjective experiences. My experience with my 6 year old son who is amblyopic is that Dr Bonn knows his work and is connected to all of the aftercare services you will need to see your child through several years of specialized eye care. He may run on time, he may not, but he'll see your child too when they need it most. And yes, no child is pain free after eye surgery, so plan to take a day or two off work !

Submitted March 30, 2015

Care: Dr. Bonn addressed himself almost exclusively to me, and not to my 7 year old son despite my son asking questions. He did not wash his hands before examining my son, even when my son was post-op. He gave us false expectations of post-op recover ("he'll be running around the same day") leaving us unsure how to help my son who was crying from pain on the couch and having to cope with unplanned absences from work. Dr. Bonn was at a loss with how to respond to continuing pain and did not offer to refer us. It is not clear yet whether the surgery was even successful. I will not return to Dr. Bonn and will seek a new doctor. Dr. Bonn is old school and over-subscribed. You will wait hours to see him for a regular consultation, in a waiting room where you are banned from eating or drinking. If you have a post-surgery follow-up, you will get in quicker.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2015

After waiting 5 months to get an appointment with Dr. Bonn, my husband and son left before they got to see Dr. Bonn. They waited an hour after their scheduled appointment time, with a room full of kids still waiting to be seen before them. People say that you should expect to wait to see specialists because they're so good, so they have lots of patients. This is completely ridiculous. If a 2 to 4 hour wait it expected because he's good, then is a 5 hour wait even better? Does a 7 hour wait mean the doctor is amazing? No, a wait of more than 15 minutes means the doctor is disorganized and his staff are incompetent at scheduling. There is a reason that doctors over schedule and make you wait. It is because that way they are always guaranteed a consistent flow of money - if someone cancels their appointment or is a no show, they don't lose revenue because there are always patients waiting in the waiting room. An ophthalmologist in Canada can make up to $1 000 000 per year. I have no respect for a doctor who does not think that the patient's time is as valuable as his is. To make children wait for hours in a waiting room is cruel. But socialized medicine means that we don't get options, we don't get second opinions, and our pool of specialists is limited.

flag | Submitted February 7, 2015

We are truly blessed to have Dr.Bonn taking care of our daughter's eyes. As a matter of fact, this city is blessed to have him around. He recently proformed a surgery on my then 11 and half months old daughter to fix her crossed eyes. Our expereince could not be better ( trust me, raised by a doctor, I have very high standards when it comes to eveluate a doctor). Extremly knowledgable and experienced, caring , and very gentle with my daughter. He took his time to answer all our questions ( my hubby had lots) and truly care for our daughter. I do not understand these people who complain about his bed side manner or being late because No.1 I am looking for a medical doctor, not a date for my LO; No. 2 I do not care how long I have to wait in order to see a good doctor! Dr. Bonn is GOOD. With his knowledge, skills and expereince, how much money he would be making if he chose to practice in US? But he came back and stayed in Ottawa! And please tell me, how many surgeons would call all his parents on SUNDAY mornings before their surgeries? How many surgeons would give you his personal cell phone number and say " Call me anytime, even in the middle of the night" before and after the surgery? My hat off to Dr.Bonn and his staff. Truly blessed.

flag | Submitted December 3, 2014

Dr. Bonn is an expert in his field. All 4 of my kids have gone to see him at one point or other. He has performed surgery on my son, and I would not put any of my children in the hands of someone I didn't absolutely trust. While there are times that Dr. Bonn's bedside manner could use some polish, the same could be said about any person (myself included). His staff is fantastic, and the wait times seem reasonable for the volume of activity he and his team manage on a day-to-day basis. One thing that truly impresses me is how consistent and predictable their processes are. Notwithstanding the occasional delays, the place runs like clockwork.

flag | Submitted October 27, 2014

I have been going to Dr Bonn's office since my daughter was 3 yrs old she is almost 14 yr old now. He decided not to do surgery but came up with these little bifocals from the age of 3 He had changed her prescription as she has gotten older and her eyes are now almost perfect She only has a few more yrs to wear them to help strengthen her eyes and she will be good for life. YES wait times can be long but hello people its because he cares for everyone as individuals and some children need his time longer than others. Dr Bonn is one of the most dedicated, caring, & wise beyond belief in his field!!!!!!! Pls do not hesitate for even a second to take your child to see him. He is THE BEST Leigh & Jaymie

flag | Submitted October 14, 2014

Dr. Gary Bonn's Credentials

Updates

• A new 1-star rating has been posted. "I wish this board was here 15 years ago. My son has had 3 surgeries to correct his lazy eye , all of them unsuccessful, each time I was reassured would be his l..."

January 14, 2016
  • A new 2-star rating has been posted. "I am 15 and I have seen Dr. Bonn since I was two. The only reason I have yet to switch is because we haven't found an available optometrist yet. He is rude, hos..."

January 12, 2016
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "He fix my daughter eye 100 percent perfect.best doctor. "

December 9, 2015
  • A new 2.2-star rating has been posted. "I had this doctor in my high school years. He (and his wife) who worked together were very business oriented. They would push the purchase of contact lenses t..."

July 9, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr Gary Bonn receives top marks from our family. Bonn specializes in pediatric ophthalmology and his waiting room reflects his expertise and operating-room fine..."

March 30, 2015
  • A new 2.2-star rating has been posted. "Care: Dr. Bonn addressed himself almost exclusively to me, and not to my 7 year old son despite my son asking questions. He did not wash his hands before exam..."

February 27, 2015
  • A new 1.5-star rating has been posted. "After waiting 5 months to get an appointment with Dr. Bonn, my husband and son left before they got to see Dr. Bonn. They waited an hour after their scheduled..."

February 7, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "We are truly blessed to have Dr.Bonn taking care of our daughter's eyes. As a matter of fact, this city is blessed to have him around. He recently proformed a s..."

December 3, 2014
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Bonn is an expert in his field. All 4 of my kids have gone to see him at one point or other. He has performed surgery on my son, and I would not put any o..."

October 27, 2014
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "I have been going to Dr Bonn's office since my daughter was 3 yrs old she is almost 14 yr old now. He decided not to do surgery but came up with these little b..."

October 14, 2014
  • A new 4.2-star rating has been posted. "My daughter has had two eye surgeries with Dr. Bonn for Strabismus and my son now sees him for a lazy eye. My daughter now has perfectly aligned eyes and bette..."

September 24, 2014