Ratings for Dr. Gary Bonn

The worst eye doctor ever! Pretends to examine eyes a total fraud and very biased glad I switched.

flag | Submitted July 12, 2016

What a wonderful visit this morning. My daugther has yearly visits to check her retina due to retinoblastoma in our family. Unfortunately this passed year she was diagnosed with Leukemia and can't be in contact with other kids becuase of the risk of infection. Staff at the clinic and Dr.Bonn himself made every effort to support our needs during our visit. Thank you. Before we left Dr. Bonn assured us that he is available to help us whenever we would need to consult him. That meant a lot to us. Thank you!

flag | Submitted May 31, 2016

Dr Bonn is incompetent. Switching my daughter away from his care (after 6 years) in November 2015 was the BEST decision I ever made. He *may* know some things - but when it comes to nystagmus -- he's blatantly ignorant and misinforms/misguides parents --- therefore he doesn't provide or offer appropriate treatments. His impatience around kids - not performing appropriate exams - is inexcusable!! And yes it's true -- don't buy your glasses somewhere else because then the poor care you receive -- gets even worst!!

Submitted May 31, 2016

Ophthalmologists are not "optometrists". They are SURGEONS and there are very few Pedi ones. My daughter has seen many since she was young starting in Australia and now here. Ophthalmologist do not have the extensive amount of time that your friendly "Optometrist" has since they are dealing with severe cases and numerous ones. So yes, they are more abrupt -- most opthalmologists are, and pedi ones even more so at times. Yes you might have to wait, emergencies happen. There are NO emergencies at your "optometrist" office. The focus of the Ophthalmologist is to see your child's eyes and to heal as many as they can. I don't know what will happen in Ottawa when he does retire we will miss out. I've seen a cousin's child who had a lazy eye and was not referred onto a Ophthalmologist early enough --- early intervention is key for the eyes. As a mom and a nurse don't wait.

flag | Submitted April 7, 2016

I wish this board was here 15 years ago. My son has had 3 surgeries to correct his lazy eye , all of them unsuccessful, each time I was reassured would be his last and here we are 15 years later with the same problem. He's extremely, rude, very greedy and I feel he should retire

flag | Submitted January 14, 2016

I am 15 and I have seen Dr. Bonn since I was two. The only reason I have yet to switch is because we haven't found an available optometrist yet. He is rude, hostile, and his wife is another piece of work. When I was a child, I was getting an eye exam and since I was about 3 years old, I was frustrated with what was going on and was fussy. His wife proceeded to take me by my forehead and hold me down to the chair with her hands. If you have young children, take the time to find someone else. All he cares about is clearly money. Not the customer.

flag | Submitted January 12, 2016

He fix my daughter eye 100 percent perfect.best doctor.

flag | Submitted December 9, 2015

I had this doctor in my high school years. He (and his wife) who worked together were very business oriented. They would push the purchase of contact lenses through their business. They also charged for every single question. I asked a 10 second question and they billed for it. When I asked them about it, they said "don't worry about it, your insurance covers it". Fairly impersonal service. Competence at issuing prescriptions is ok.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2015

Dr Gary Bonn receives top marks from our family. Bonn specializes in pediatric ophthalmology and his waiting room reflects his expertise and operating-room finesse. Good luck to you if you go searching for a regular ophthalmologist who does not have the same pediatric tenure. As the signs in the office clearly indicate, he does see urgent cases throughout the day. Sometimes you end up waiting, most times you don't. As someone who has waited, I always appreciate the fact that someone else's ill child is receiving the last minute care that they need. Who knows, maybe we'll be the ones coming in last-minute one day with an issue. On our last visit, we were over an hour early and the staff managed to have us in and out just as early. In response to a previous post, there is an indoor café 10 feet from his office door where you can buy food and drinks. All you need to do is advise the staff that you're stepping over there and you are all set. The waiting room is not a prison ! Dr Bonn has broad experience in child pediatric care. Therefore, if you are a parent interested in prognosis, possible outcomes, as well as options available, then Dr Bonn should be considered. Because he has seen so many cases that fall within the same diagnoses, he invariably has insight into what you, as a parent, can expect to happen over the course of many years. Some ratings on this site seem to be preoccupied with the subjective emotional responses of children to arduous circumstances, rather than the quality and long term impact of the care they received. Another advantage with Dr Bonn is that he runs a pediatric eye glass dispensary where the staff are just as knowledgeable, helpful, and well equipped with frame options at costs less than one would find elsewhere. He reports using a "cost plus dispensing fee" formula which would suggest that the goal is for childrens' eyewear to be affordable as opposed to Dr Bonn lining his pockets with cash. From what I've shelled out for glasses elsewhere, I'll stay with the service, products, and convenience of buying eyewear from his dispensary. Personally, I would be cautious before placing any weight on some of the adverse reviews that leverage on one-off subjective experiences. My experience with my 6 year old son who is amblyopic is that Dr Bonn knows his work and is connected to all of the aftercare services you will need to see your child through several years of specialized eye care. He may run on time, he may not, but he'll see your child too when they need it most. And yes, no child is pain free after eye surgery, so plan to take a day or two off work !

Submitted March 30, 2015

Care: Dr. Bonn addressed himself almost exclusively to me, and not to my 7 year old son despite my son asking questions. He did not wash his hands before examining my son, even when my son was post-op. He gave us false expectations of post-op recover ("he'll be running around the same day") leaving us unsure how to help my son who was crying from pain on the couch and having to cope with unplanned absences from work. Dr. Bonn was at a loss with how to respond to continuing pain and did not offer to refer us. It is not clear yet whether the surgery was even successful. I will not return to Dr. Bonn and will seek a new doctor. Dr. Bonn is old school and over-subscribed. You will wait hours to see him for a regular consultation, in a waiting room where you are banned from eating or drinking. If you have a post-surgery follow-up, you will get in quicker.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2015