Ratings for Dr. Loris Cristante

Dr. L Cristante is a fabulous, wonderful Dr. So very helpful with my back issues. I saw him for pretty much 5 yrs now for injections and has helped me so much. I want to thank him for helping me with this on going OA in my back. He is retiring in June and I will miss him horriblely . I wish you all the best Dr. You are the best !!! ❤thank again

flag | Submitted May 13, 2017

I have found this site here by having googled his name to see if he still practices in the field. (For a possible re-evaluation appointment). I had surgery by him around 10 years ago. I never kept exact medical records of my health/dates etc - so I don't remember exactly. I had old lumbar and cervical problems that I could not continue to ignore anymore by dismissing it as "Hexenschuss" = "a German word for sudden back pains one puts up with knowing it will get better eventually ... it means in translation being shot by a witch" . :) . I should have posted on this site my own experience regarding his professionalism and the outcome. But I did not know about this site. Better late than never. :). My background is nursing (LPN). So I understood my own problem. He explained it in detail in his very knowledgable professional way. I have had no regrets after all these years about the surgery. I am 72 years old now and retired. A lot of people my age have terrible back problems it seems. My own are not all that bad in comparison. It is lumbar and cervical spinal stenosis. Bad in both places at the time with my right arm becoming useless a lot. The result was cervical fusion surgery to fuse 3 vertebrae with a titanium plate and screws and all that. I refused to have a donated bone inserted and asked to use bone pieces out of my own body. He agreed and went to all that extra work during surgery to take bone from my hip bone area for it. The surgery was done so well that to this day that area of my spine hardly gives any trouble. I was warned that overuse of the non-fused parts directly below and above in my neck area might give trouble over the years but it is minor actually now and then a little bit numb fingers that changes to "okay" when I adjust position of how I am holding my head. Seldom happens actually. :) it is my lumbar spine - the not operated part - that is the same "bad" as it was way back then. He had advised against doing an operation in that area, as even with the best of surgeries the lumbar area could end up getting worse. I was thankful for such good advice. Years before seeing Dr. Cristante, a highly regarded neuro-surgeon in Vancouver while I lived in BC had said the same thing about lumbar surgery of the kind I needed then already. That professional said he is not knife happy and only recommends spinal surgery when a 'limb gives out". So that one gave me his home phone number in case a leg goes numb, at which time he would operate. Therefore I was not surprised that Dr. Cristante gave the same advice. Years later now I am still happy about it. I would have just liked to have it re-evaluated (comparison of old and new x-rays). But as I read now here, that he is retiring, I will dismiss wanting to see a neurosurgeon by referral from a general practice doctor (I go to walk-in clinics only and that only seldom). I want no other surgeon do any needed spinal surgery. I feel I was lucky to have had the surgery by Dr. Cristante and don't want to push my luck. That might not work out so well again, I would be afraid (?). PS I also write this as I cannot believe the amount of negative comments given here. As a nurse though I understand that patients have individual perception of pain . (it is felt as "something wrong big time" and no tests show anything visually and physically. So, it must be frustrating. I would not judge the pain of others). However, I see that a surgeon gets easily in the line of firing if he refuses to do a surgery as he sees no indication. So here is my positive evaluation as I cannot agree with the negative ones and I feel he does not deserve criticism for what he cannot change or have control over. As for medication that, that some commentators complain of (his lectures about the detrimental affects)... he is so right. I say this years later of myself way back then also having relied on pain pills). Newest knowledge really does show that Tylenol esp. has a bad effect on the liver. (The prescribed one that helps well with the codein and the regular kind in over the counter available meds.) Lucky for my health, I saw the need to wean myself off Tyl III a long time ago by my own advice to myself. I am mostly nowadays pain free. I think the pathways of pain wore themselves out in the lumbar area by my ignoring the pain. That is my unprofessional humble theory. Lol. I do get flash ups (good English word? This is my 2nd language ) maybe 1 x or 2 x a year. And no sitting or laying down will help. But it does go away. For those times I have prescribed Tyl IIIs still that I treat like gold and hardly ever use. Only during worst times I take one only for a good night sleep. I have to avoid carrying heavy. And forget that when feeling okay. As I hate walking around with a bag on wheels. It doesn't look normal. It looks old and decrepit. (Smile) . End of essay

flag | Submitted March 31, 2017

Saw Dr Cristante today for the second time in a 4 years period for Lumbar pain. He did no physical examination whatsoever nor did he look at my CT scan, (which according to my Orthopaedic surgeon shows 3 herniated discs and 2 pinched nerves in the Lumbar region). Dr Cristante told me there is nothing he can do for me which ironically is exactly what he said 4 years earlier. I told him I respect him and his opinion but I would like a referral to get a second opinion. He was displeased with that and i assured him its not personal after some muttering said Ill be referred to Dr Barrington(Berrington?) Extremely disappointed in a 6 months wait to see a guy who at approx 90 years old is clearly just collecting a paycheck.

flag | Submitted March 29, 2017

Dr Cristante was the first Dr to be able to help me with my back. I am so appreciative of what he has been able to do. I've been seeing him since this past November 2016 and no longer have to take pain killers for my back. He is such a sweet man, very compassionate. I was so sad to find out that he is retiring. Hopefully I will be able to find someone who can help me like he has. He is a wonderful dr. Thank you for all your help.

flag | Submitted March 24, 2017

Maybe some people experienced unpleasant interactions with Dr. Cristante, but I found even though he explained to me that surgery really wasn't a good option until I have another specialist look at the full file of my medical history the compressed discs had nothing to do with my leg issue I am having.....he was so kind! So compassionate and made me feel like he was thinking of the best outcome for me rather then passing me off and making me feel unimportant. He also mentioned at the end of my appointment that he will be retiring at the end of June this year! I wish him well and hope he and his family enjoy every minute! The hug I received from him was heartfelt and warm!Thank Doctor even though you felt there was nothing you could do to help me. At least you took the time...God Bless.

flag | Submitted March 23, 2017

I was referred to him by WCB. i had foramil narrowing from C-5 to T-1 with cord compression at C5-C7. I was im major pain and previously i was diagnosed by Dr.Old a fantastic Dr. At tbe Pan-Am clinic with cervical radiculopathy with imaging to support his diagnosis. Dr. Cristante said it was a neck strain. Not only was his diagnosis wrong, he lied on his report to wcb and my family dr saying he did tests on me that he never did. I have a witness to prove this as well..when i called his office and asked how he performs tje Babinski test, he said thats when we run a blunt object down the bottom of your foot to see which way the toes will move. I asked him how he could have done that to me when my socks and shoes were still on. Well he ripped me a new one saying that he cant keep track of all the patients he sees and then he hung up on me. This Dr. Should not be practising. He has been reported to the college of physicians!!! -10 out of 5 avoid this person at all costs.

flag | Submitted December 3, 2016

Waited 4 months to see him, I have severe cervical stenosis with 2 herniated discs, 1 bulging disc, and my spinal cord is compromised in 2 places, it's compressed against the vertebras. After seeing him I find out he doesn't perform surgery, looked into this a little further and found out that you don't want him operating on you.(Good Thing). He referred me to Dr. Berrington , I will wait my turn and suffer in pain till then. If you know you need surgery don't waste your time with a consult from this monkey! Total waste of time.

flag | Submitted October 12, 2016

After reading all these negatives reviews I still had the hope he would be a good doctor. I waited about four months to have a 10 minutes appointment . In other words he told me I had to get use to have a miserable life and had no cure . He did not know I had a copy of my MRI result and all he told me about my condition was very different from what the paper said. People if you get an appointment with this doctor please consider another option . I am wondering how much money he asked the government for this 10 minutes appointment. After this appointment I got so depressed I would have preferred not to see this doctor . I now believe what red about him .

flag | Submitted June 28, 2016

Dr. Cristante was of no help to me. I received an MRI only to discover that between L1 and S1 of my Lumbar all had bulging discs. Some approaching the nerves. After the Cortese shots did nothing for me. Dr. Cristante told me I only had one bulging and it was not approaching any nerves. He then told me he would not do anything to help me get back to normal health. I now believe others that have told me he would not be of any help if the situation was serious.

flag | Submitted June 15, 2016

A kind and knowledgeable doctor, sympathetic to the anxiety I felt today. Although the facet block infiltration injections I had were a little disconcerting and somewhat painful, I appreciated his care and confidence. And with regard to previous comments, a pat on the shoulder in reassurance does not indicate being "touchy feely".

flag | Submitted June 14, 2016