Ratings for Dr. William F. Bell

Going to Dr. Bell for my foot problem was the worst mistake in my life. I had severe ankle pain in my right foot. I was suggested to him by Sanford. I'm not going to go into details, but he did more surgery than what was needed, and did more than what he explained to me he would do. After the surgery I had multiple complications. He told me I was fine, and would never talk to me for more than 5 mins. A year later I got a 2nd opinion at Mayo. They told me most all the surgery was unnecessary, and He wasn't sure why I had them! It is very frustrating. Wish there was something I could do. Well at least anyone that reads this hopefully won't trust this man. I have worse pain now than before, and am much more limited in what I can do. I'm only 28, so I'm very worried about what the pain will be like when I'm older. Very depressing, that's why I'm up a 2AM writing this years later.

flag | Submitted January 19, 2012

PA's working with Dr.Bell were very pleasant, knowledgeable and helpful. I had left and right ankle surgeries within 6 months. Everyone, including Dr. Bell, was very empathic and helpful - even when I was demoralized and crabby secondary to my pain and immobility. I found Dr. Bell to be patient and understanding with all of my questions. The procedures were well explained. Dr. Bell was not bubbly and gregarious - after all, he IS an orthopedic surgeon and I did not expect him to be. The lower rating that I gave for punctuality is a result of standards that more clinical offices need to practice: take care of the patient, explain everything in detail and answer all questions in a thorough manner. Overall, I would rate my surgeries and my experience with Dr. Bell and his staff VERY GOOD.

flag | Submitted May 26, 2010

He was my surgeon so the questions above are sort of inappropiate. I can only log my overall opinion and level of satisfaction and if I would have him do my own personal surgery again. As a positive the Therapy after the surgery was fine.

flag | Submitted November 15, 2009

Dr. Bell was on call when I was in the hospital and ended up doing surgery on me. I did not see him or his partners for 3 days after surgery. He came in the third post op day for 10 minutes, took off the dressing and said it looked fine. I have not seen him since, was never told when to return for post op visit or given any instruction from him or his office. I had to call to make the post op appointment myself. They were scheduled with him but I saw his PA both times. I guess he was way to busy for me. He did the surgery, got his money and does not have any time for following up on his patients. I prefer a Doctor who has genuine concern for his patients, not the almighty dollar!

flag | Submitted March 25, 2009

I would not recommend him or his PA. Totally messed up my procedure and extremity.

flag | Submitted February 19, 2009

Had Total knee revision surgery. Previous Dr. had really messed up. Found Dr. Bell explained everything in detail, time to answer questions, excellent bedside manner and when I had coronary complications had appropriate Drs take over.

flag | Submitted January 30, 2009

Not very knowledgable. Sanford can do better than this!!

flag | Submitted April 2, 2008

I had a leg injury but Bell was only interested in doing knee surgery. He wouldn't listen when I spoke about the pain in my ankle, calf, and thigh. The knee surgery went well but I had complications from anesthesia that added to my costs. No one involved, including the hospital, would assist in finding out what happened. Six weeks later my knee and lower leg began to swell unexpectedly even though I was exercising and walking daily. Dr. Bell's PA was an absolute jerk and left me sitting in an exam room for 40 minutes while he chatted up the nurses. I could hear the conversation outside my room but didn't know it was the PA. When I called him on it, he was extremely rude so I told the front desk to never schedule me with him again. The problems with my leg were never addressed. When I brought it up to Bell, he said, "There's no reason to think there's anything wrong there." I gave up, I think the pain and swelling were pretty good indicators that something was still wrong.

flag | Submitted January 25, 2008

Husband was in a motorcycle accident and Dr. Bell reconstructed his lower left arm. Kept family informed of every possible outcome. Very pleased and wished he was Illinois where we reside. Husbands accident happened during Sturgis 2006.

flag | Submitted April 12, 2007

I had major problems due to his misdiagnosis of a common condition. Not very educated in his own field

flag | Submitted April 6, 2007

Dr. William F. Bell's Credentials

• Northwestern University Medical School (Grad. 1977)

Top Urgent Care Centers in Sioux Falls, SD