Ratings for Dr. Louis Abenante

flag | Submitted August 11, 2014

The doctor is a very caring and respectful man. He treated me for my depression and did a very good job. He understands the need to listen to my problems the way no other psychiatrist had done before.

flag | Submitted March 14, 2009

Dr. Abenante has helped me with medication management in the way most other psychiatrists have. I was impressed with Dr. Abenante's history, which included study in other specialities and even teaching, research. It's hard to figure out how this is because of my perception of his competency. My guess is that he is very old and losing his mental capabilities. I had to remind him that one of the medications I was taking was not a benzodiazepene, but a beta blocker, because he was trying to locate the medication (atenolol) in a reference book - standard knowledge for any doctor. He gave me several samples and the outcome of the appointment is the same as with all other psychiatrists I've been to (about 10). He also started commenting on how silly it is for people to be depressed - that people are in worst situations. Isn't a psychiatrist supposed to realize that depression is caused by a variety of factors?

Submitted July 20, 2007

In the late 1990's, I began a search for a psychiatrist who could treat me for a suspected mental illness. I was frustrated to discover that very few physicians were accepting patients at the time. I was able to find Dr. Abenante & I would soon realize why he had AMPLE vacancies on his schedule. My initial appointment, & every appointment thereafter, I felt like I was the physician & he was the patient. He would dismiss my symptoms, and would tell me about his life experiences. In one instance, I told him that I had manic type behaviors, & he chastised me for my behaviors. What the hell kind of psychiatrist would do that??? He is an old man, so perhaps he is stuck in his ways. Nevertheless, he sent me on my way with no diagnosis, and told me to take Prozac. I later found out that antidepressants and Bipolar Disorder do not mix. My mania increased, and Abenante's compassion decreased.

Submitted December 25, 2006

Dr. Louis Abenante's Credentials

• Univ Di Napoli, Fac Di Med E Chirurgia 1, Napoli, Italy (Grad. 1957)

Delta Dental