Ratings for Dr. Douglas C. Despain

I had to switch to new primary due to insurance. I have never been to a M. D. That was more of a narcostics then Dr. Despain. I suffer from psoriatic arthritis and also have disgestive and bowel issues. He did not and would not refer me, which was needed since I have an HMO insurance plan, to any of my specialists. He said they were not needed and he would "take care" of any medical needs. He refused to write a prescription for my previous diagnosed by a rheumatoid arthritis doctor of psoriatic arthritis. This is a disease which not only my damages my joints, but my tendons and ligaments. If I do not take these needed medications, I will end up so crippled, I will be forced to live in a nursing home. Also, would be in much more severe pain then I already am experiencing. He further chastised me for taking prescribed pain medication which had been approved by my previous primary, rheumatoid, and prescribed by my pain management doctor. Again, he refused to give me a referral to my pain management doctor, but did write a script for the same medication I have been taking and said from now on you will come every month to me and I will write your scripts. My pain management doctor had me come in every other month and wrote my scripts according. Next, he drilled me in my depression medication and ask me why I was taking this med. I started to explain that I had been a victim of domestic violence, he cut me off right away and huffed. Then, in a much louder and stern voice told me that this dose was way to low and sent in a script for the highest dose of this med. I had been on the second to lowest dose, and was doing just fine. As a chronic pain patient, and a female, sometimes this comes up. It's depression why you are in pain, not medical. Further, he ask me what I am doing to improve myself. I had no clue at these point what I was suppose to say. He started to tell me all the things I should be doing which contradicts what my rheumatoid doctor advised what I should be doing. Finally, he did no exam other than listening to my lungs. I would not trust the care of my dog to this man!

flag | Submitted March 14, 2017

Don't see this doctor or any doctors in his practice. You will be sadly let down on all accounts.

flag | Submitted April 9, 2013

Every time I saw this Doctor for any reason he suggested test after test and surprise they are all done in his office. I have been on medications for many years, yet he wants me to come in every other month for refills. I think all doctors are taking advantage of patients that have good insurance. And that's just how this doctor made me feel. He has a horrible bedside manner and he had little patience with me. I would not recommend this physician.

flag | Submitted December 9, 2010

Dr. Douglas C. Despain's Credentials

• University Of Illinois At Chicago Health Science Center (Grad. 1989)