Ratings for Dr. Johan Viljoen

The best doctor in the world . It all started on the morning of the 4 th of July when I almost died from a cyst the twisted my cervix around and cause internal bleeding . I was rushed to st.catherines and and shortly I was introductions to doctor viljoenvand his amazing staff . He was very informative and he made me feel like I was in safe hands . I mean I was only 28 years old and all alone at tge time I was just happy that I was being told what was going on , I new there was something wrong but I never had a doctor that really took the time to figure out what was really going in inside of me . When he told me what my condition was it explained all of my passed symptoms inward having . So that very same night I was taken into surgery and he was so funny lol ive was laughing on the surgical table before I passed out . I woke up and the nurses were there for support my mother was not there but I will always remember how he helps me and how he saved my life that day and now I am patient I drug all the way from toronto just to see doctor viljoen . And he will be the only doctor that will deliver my children when that day comes. Love always Mandisa Leonard ypur the best Doc tor V .

flag | Submitted June 7, 2016

Waited a long time for an appointment. He seemed nice. Needed to have a cyst removed. Nice receptionist said she would call with the date ( would be about a month to the procedure). I told her to call my cell, as I'm rarely home during the day. After a couple weeks I called the office to ask if they had the date yet. Got a recording that the office would be closed for a month. After a month, I called again. Was told by receptionist, that they will call me when they know the date. Waited, waited..still nothing. Over the next couple months I called every couple weeks. Receptionist kept saying " we'll call you when we know". Four months after the initial visit, I called yet again. Told the receptionist I would be out of the country for 4 days. Asked her to write it down so they don't book the procedure during those 4 days. Reminded her to call my cell and not my house phone. She said okay. A week after I returned home ( cyst really bothering me), I placed my usual call to the office to see if they had the date yet. This time, spoke with a different receptionist. She was extremely rude!!!! She snapped at me and told me I had missed my appointment. She told me there was a note there saying they had left a phone message for me on my home phone! The appointment that I had been waiting for four months for, had been booked during the 4 days that I was out of the country !! I told her they could not have left a phone message as my answering machine has been switched off for months. So unless they left a message with my dog, they did not call my number. She got louder, ruder and more arrogant as she insisted they left a message and I had missed my appointment. She said they would rebook it and let me know. She said they wait until they have a few patients who need a minor procedure and then they book a procedure room. It could be a few more months before they get another appointment for me!! Then she basically hung up on me. I called her back and asked why they had scheduled the procedure during the short time that was out of the country. She said " "well that may have been our mistake, but you still missed your appointment!" This woman should not be working with the public. She is the rudest person I have ever spoken with! And as she represents Dr Viljoen I would recommend you look elsewhere when choosing an ONGYN. I had my family doctor make an appointment with a different one. That appointment is scheduled for mid June 2016. I have been waiting since December 2015 to have this cyst removed.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2016

Recently I was referred to Dr. Viljoen by another gynecologist for a hysterectomy. I waited approximately 5 or 6 months for this appointment. A few days before my appointment, it was rescheduled by his office for 7 weeks later. There was no explanation or apology given and when I expressed some frustration over this with the receptionist, it was met with rudeness and indifference. After I saw Dr. Viljoen, he advised me to go on hormones to stop the terrible hemorrhaging which I was experiencing associated with my peri-menopause. I was not comfortable taking synthetic hormones due to their link with cancer, so I declined his advice. Instead I decided to use a natural progesterone cream to which Dr. Viljoen was vehemently opposed. I was booked for a followup appointment, and this, too, was rescheduled shortly before by 3 weeks. When I finally came back for my results, Dr. Viljoen told me that he would not perform a hysterectomy for me as this was "overkill". (I am a 55 year old woman that has a mother with uterine cancer and I have been suffering with terrible peri-menopausal symptoms for at least 3 1/2 yrs.) I accepted his decision and then asked Dr. Viljoen what his recommendation for me would be. To this he very rudely responded, "Why would I give you my recommendation when you didn't follow my first one?!" I am just relaying the facts. You can make up your own mind whether you would wait a year for this kind of medical attention!

flag | Submitted February 27, 2016

The best in the practice. From pregnancy to delivery, you can always count on Dr. Viljjoen to take care of you and your baby to the best of his knowledge and capability.

flag | Submitted January 30, 2016

Excellent Dr. Friendly staff. Always punctual. Able to ask questions easily.

flag | Submitted January 26, 2016

Excellent doctor. Very friendly and caring. Staff is great.

flag | Submitted January 4, 2016

I had this doctor for my first pregnancy. He was ok but I feel that we lacked a personal connection, which is completely understandable because he is very busy. I ended up with an emergency csection, he was on call and performed it. My care after the csection was horrible. He used staples (which I now understand many doctors do not use staples). And they were too tight. I asked the nurses to look the staples and the said I was fine and of course it was going to hurt. He said the same thing before I was discharged. My left side was in so much pain, the skin was pulling, a family member who is an experienced RN said the staples were too tight. Sure enough my family doctor checked them out a couple of days after discharge and the we're too tight! He removed a few and I felt MUCH better. Dr. Vilijoen was very professional during the procudure, but when I asked him about a VBAC for my next birth, he suggested I go to Hamilton in case of an emergency. I found this confusing. Yes, VBACs have a very small risk of rupture, but shouldn't this hospital be ready for said emergencies? Women can rupture with no prior csections too. So for my second baby I switched to Niagara Midwives and had a beautiful VBAC at the same hospital. The nurses were great and most of the staff supportive. Dr. V is a good surgeon but I preferred Midwives 100%. And Heidi is the sweetest.

flag | Submitted January 3, 2016

I have had 6 appointments cancelled with no apologies and no reasons why. Believe most of them because of last minute vacation plans. Absolutely disgusted that so many appointments get cancelled and rebook is 3 months out. I have severe condition and yet have gone untreated for months, because apparently his other commitments are more important than his patients. Does anyone know a gynacologist in St. Cat?

flag | Submitted November 25, 2015

I went to him because of a sharp pain and he didn't even examine me. Just gave me birth control and made a follow up appointment. I have basically been bleeding since and my appointments are either moved over and over again or when I do get to see him he tells me it's just my body adjusting to the pill. For 2 years. Don't go to him I'm getting a new gyn as soon as possible

flag | Submitted November 24, 2015

I saw Dr. Viljoen for an IUD insertion. His receptionist Heidi was very kind and I was taken in 15 min before my appointment, as I had arrived a bit early. As soon as I was undressed and ready Dr. Viljoen knocked on the door, I didn't even have to wait a minute. He answered the few questions I had, explained the procedure and then inserted the IUD. Quickly and completely pain free! I was out of the room in 5 minutes. He even gave me a pad in case I had any bleeding. I would definitely recommend this doctor!

flag | Submitted November 5, 2015