Ratings for Dr. Karen D. Spizer

Kaiser Permanente Piyush Srivastava, MD Site Physician Leader 1425 S. Main Street Walnut Creek, CA 94596 Dr. Srivastava: This letter is to be viewed as a formal complaint filed against Dr. Karen Spizer, Palliative Care Department, Walnut Creek, CA. As such, I would appreciate a conformation of receipt. This is a copy of my formal complaint letter to the Walnut Creek Palliative Care Department head, Piyush Srivastava, MD, regarding the ineptitude of Dr. Karen Spizer. Dr. Srivastava: My mother and I were instructed to make an appointment with Dr. Spizer after a hospital stay 2 months ago. We made an appointment and met with her. At that time, she was very concerned about my mother’s condition. She explained to us my mother’s condition, which we had already been fully apprised of by all of the other doctors. This in itself was not helpful or productive. At the end of our meeting, Dr. Spizer reassured us that she would be in very close contact with us, and that she would carefully follow my mother’s condition and check in with us weekly. She told us that she would call us in a week because she would be on a week’s vacation. This was untrue, as we never heard from her again until I contacted her yesterday. Her behavior is outrageous and irresponsible. Keen assessments, professionalism, and honesty are absent from her skill set. She assumes the role of a key component to the health and wellbeing of patients and their families; however, she is full of empty promises and misinformation. This is a serious problem that needs to be addressed, and her conduct amended to help patients. Possibly, she should seek an alternative career, one that would be of merit to her and others. Dr. Spizer’s level of self-aggrandizement is remarkable. I cannot express my disdain for her and what she has done. She has upset both my mother and myself, and is a detriment to us and our wellbeing, along with other cases she is (mis)managing. I cannot imagine how many lives she has scarred because of her ineptitude. Furthermore, Dr. Spizer called us 2 hours after the appointment in a panic about my mother’s immediate health. She advised us to weigh her daily and to limit her liquid intake, which we did. Also, she advised us to seek emergency care immediately if her weight increased. This was a grave overreaction, and made us very uneasy until we were able to talk with her other doctors. These doctors reassured us that this was not correct. Yesterday, when I called Dr. Spizer to advise her of my outrage, she was shocked. She advised me that she had been following my mother’s case from her office every day. This did not address my issues. She is very deceptive and has many excuses, which are not admirable qualities in the medical profession. Also, she claimed to have visited my mother last week, which is a flat out lie. She would not take responsibility for her actions until I pressed her to do so. Only then did she relent. She was very arrogant. I have no confidence in her whatsoever. During our conversation she only managed to increase my anger and disappointment towards her and the Palliative Care Department. To add to this, she tried to placate me by telling me what a wonderful job I was doing for my mother-I do not need her conformation and approval on this topic. What an ignorant, condescending and insulting comment. This was geared to get me to soften my stance; however, I have learned that she is a master manipulator, and would not take her bait. This department needs major work regarding its policies and procedures. It is a negligent service, and has no place in the Kaiser Hospital agenda unless it is drastically revised. This is a truth. This is meant to be an enlightening for the Palliative Care Department. It is severely lacking in expertise and execution. The services are carried out by unqualified and inept individuals who value their inflated positions in the hospital hierarchy more than the patients and families they are overseeing. This is to the detriment of the Kaiser name and its reputation, as well as the patients and families. I have been a member since birth, and have always found my care to be superior, until now. I can only hope that this letter will encourage you to offer real and helpful services that actually help patients and families dealing with severe illnesses.

flag | Submitted May 5, 2017

Dr. Spizer is a kind and knowledgeable clinician. The dali lama says love = attention. If so then Dr. Spizer can be said to truly love her patients because she was 100% present in all her interactions with our family. A precious experience as in today's busy hospital environment.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2017

I love, love, love Dr. Spizer. I didn't come in to see her until I was sick with unexplained weight loss. She ordered all the tests I needed to confirme that I had Type 1 diabetes. She made my diagnosis manageable by supporting me in my care and connecting me with my team of health care providers at Kaiser. I was sorry to see her move to an in-hospital Kaiser MD but I know she will do well. She is sharp.

flag | Submitted July 17, 2011

I was seeing Dr. Spizer for 4 years and she was fantastic. She was very caring and listened to my issues. She responded to my questions during office visits and via e-mail. I was very sad when I got switched to another Dr.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2011

K.Spizer was assigned to me by Kaiser Insurance. For over 2.5 years I complained about bad health with repeated specific symptoms. She repeatedly told my it was my anxieties and nothing else. After throwing a tantrum, she finally agreed to have some tests run. The tests came back positive and the diagnosis matched the symptoms exactly. 12% of the population has what I have or 1 out of 8 people she sees in her normal workday, but she could not figure out the problem the first few visits. She also refused to give me blood pressure medicine after I went to the emergency room with chest pains and high blood pressure. When I complained to Kaiser, they switched doctors and erased my medical records. Karen only writes down information in the medical records that makes her look good. She doe not listen to what she is being told. She only cares about herself. I think she is a ****.

flag | Submitted November 10, 2009

Dr. Karen D. Spizer's Credentials

• Tel Aviv Univ, Sackler Fac Of Med, Tel Aviv, Israel (Grad. 1999)

MSP/BC Med