You may also like

Ratings for Dr. Alfie Pallen

Found him to be to quiet diagnoses you with a bunch of stuff without explaining what it is but does not document everything he says u have I messed up appointment dates and they gave me a new one I walked in winter to be told I was dropped as a patient not impressed now have to see a new one and really explain myself wad hard enough the first time

flag | Submitted April 15, 2016

Pretty good. Maybe a tad detached, but that might have some purpose to it. It's important to understand what you can expect your psychiatrist to do for you. In my case, Dr. Pallen comes to my town to see patients on behalf of the region. So, he diagnoses problems, prescribes meds, etc. Pretty good experience with him.

flag | Submitted August 3, 2015

Perhaps when a patient comes to a psychiatrist citing depression caused by stress and anxiety in the workplace, you shouldn't tell said patient that they have a great job and they should be grateful to have a job at all. That's like a chiropractor telling a patient complaining of chronic back pain that they are lucky to have a back and that they're not paralyzed. It is not helpful. It belittles the patients experience. It makes them wary of expressing their emotions and therefore renders their treatment with said Doctor ineffective. Threatening them with being admitted into a psychiatric ward - also not helpful.

flag | Submitted October 20, 2014

Dr.pallen is a kind, gentle man. He is sensitive and what may come off as uncaring, is probably shyness. He is quiet and respectful. He listens and based on your symptoms, he will prescribe meds, as this is part of his main role as a psychiatrist. He refers to outpatient service for therapy and groups. Great doctor!

flag | Submitted August 25, 2014

flag | Submitted August 22, 2014

His office has no voice mail service and they never seem to pick up the phone. I called over 30 times before someone answered! His office hours are terrible, only open till 4? Some of us still have to work for a living! Once I got there the receptionist was very friendly. That was about the only good thing. I was already talking anti-depressants that my family Dr had prescribed me and he recommended I increase the dose even though I told him I have having unpleasant side effects. I also told him how when I was down I would have bad body image issues. You know what he told me, "you can't think like that, I'm fat and I don't care". Wow great advice! That'll really cure my anorexia! On top of that he only gave a prescription for 6 weeks. WTF? so I pretty much have to go see him if I want a refill. Oh yea and his office is a mess. Literally, so you if have OCD, don't go see him, his office will be make you lose your mind!

flag | Submitted October 15, 2013

ABSOLUTE WORST DOCTOR EVER! I met with him a week ago for the FIRST time. My appointment was at 1:45, I was taken in well after 2pm. Within 10 short minutes of talking about why I was there and doing a VERY BRIEF history, he diagnosed me as borderline something. I don't even know what he was saying to me half the time because he would whisper. He told me he would refer me to a doctor in NF (because I said no to drugs, being his first suggestion). A week went by and when I called his office they said he had given them strict instructions not to refer me to anyone until I come back in July for a review. Why would I wait 2 months for a referral?! What was I supposed to do about my anxiety in the mean time?! Why would I ever go back to this man if he just LIED to me about our treatment plan. I am more than outraged that I wasted my time, money and gas to drive to Welland and see this bozo! I told the secretary to burn my file, I would never go back to him even if I was dying.

flag | Submitted May 17, 2013

first his secretary rocks smiles and friendly. the woman behind the desk is a doctors friend dont u forget that one doctor. the doctor is on time and direct, yes i have problems understanding him since he is heavliy accented. He does listen and explains . yes he will prescribe drugs because it helps us. i do agree that the side effects harm us more then help us . you get mental clarity while you have yellow skin or blood clots. how about tumors or tremors? i dont know about that one i personally find side effects a concern however he will test you and watch your concerns if you bring it up. he is professional to the point and direct. if you want help he will give it to you . i rated him highly because i have seen alot of doctors not do the job this man does.he is friendly and nice. just make sure you clarify any concern and that you understand him . after all its your life. a doctor is only as good as a patient that does what he says and can come to agree with it.

flag | Submitted April 23, 2013

This doctor is wonderful. He is so kind, caring, and really listens. He explains everything in detail and takes the time to hear your opinion. He lets you feel like you are in charge of your life and he gives you options on your care plan. He is always on time and has a calm demeanor. He has an accent but will repeat himself if you just say i don't understand....no biggie.

flag | Submitted May 25, 2012

He is very caring man and i am lucky to have him!! i felt extremely comfortable with him and his staff and would refer him to anyone needing help

flag | Submitted April 5, 2012

Dr. Alfie Pallen's Credentials

Updates

• A new 2-star rating has been posted. "Found him to be to quiet diagnoses you with a bunch of stuff without explaining what it is but does not document everything he says u have I messed up appointme..."

April 15, 2016
  • A new 4.2-star rating has been posted. "Pretty good. Maybe a tad detached, but that might have some purpose to it. It's important to understand what you can expect your psychiatrist to do for you. In..."

August 3, 2015
  • A new 1.5-star rating has been posted. "Perhaps when a patient comes to a psychiatrist citing depression caused by stress and anxiety in the workplace, you shouldn't tell said patient that they have a..."

October 20, 2014