Ratings for Dr. W. Hamlin Emory

Dr Emory is a miracle worker. I've been suffering from chronic migraines for over 10 years and nothing seemed to work. Dr Emory changed all of that. His skillful approach mixes the holistic with the cutting edge and, most importantly, it works! I only get 1/3 or 1/4 of the migraines I had before, and they're far less intense. I'm so grateful to have had the opportunity to work with Dr Emory. Few doctors have such a warm and genuine approach. He is inspiring.

flag | Submitted September 12, 2017

I wanted to provide an update to anyone wondering if the efforts of Dr. Emory have ‘real’ or ‘lasting’ effects. After nearly 6-months of treatment with our daughter who expressed depressive, unemotional, and tumultuous behavior toward anyone within her proximity, I can unequivocally say that the Dr’s efforts have lasted and continue to astound her mother and I. As I’ve noted in detail in past reviews, the Dr’s methodology should be taught in every psychiatrist 101 class. His ability to translate quantitative EGG data into a systematic and thorough approach for therapy is second to none. It saved us the months of ‘trial-n-error’, minimized our daughter’s exposure to potential side effects, and has allowed a quicker timeframe for healing. As parents who were still ‘shell-shocked’ for several months after our ordeal, we finally had to come to the conclusion that this ‘fix’ was real. And it has been such a massive relief for our family, improving our relationship with both our kids. I can’t speak highly enough of Dr. Emory. I only wish his method, his expertise, could be experienced by everyone having issues with themselves or ones they loved. For us, he saved our lives. Thank you.

flag | Submitted August 25, 2017

Flowers for the Living: testimony by Maggie Ibrahim After more than 38 years of battling with severe clinical depression I finally met Dr. Emory. Picture Earnest Hemingway with medical ingenuity and that's him. I can say that his innovative yet empirical approach of using EEG and pattern recognition to guide treatment has restored my health and changed my life. Not only is Dr. Emory empathetic and generous with his time and care, he is well versed in medication and different use of both naturopathic and prescription medication. I appreciated his approach of using naturopathic first and seeing if different meds were needed. Also his logic gate approach of trying medication, waiting for the correct time for it to be assimilated and then assessing change to decide the next move was very appropriate. He recognizes that each individual body and brain chemistry demands such a flexible yet rigorous approach. This coupled with blood pressure and pulse to note homeostasis and the comprehensive yet manageable forms to monitor progress or regression was a great way to help inform decision making. I now have a good understanding of how my body reacts to dopamine, neuropenephrine and serotonin and the different balance needed. I honestly wish that Dr.Emory's approach was mainstreamed into general practice. I fear that the traditional approach would have led to the end of me if my sister hadn't been living with me for the past months. The hope that Dr.Emory brings with his determination to see progress is uplifting. You feel that you are in it together and it's the brain that needs correction not only just your behavior. It helps to ease self blame and despair. My sister would say that we just "need to find the right cocktail of meds and you will be fine" as I was doing all the right things with diet, exercise, therapy and prayer. Trust in Dr. Emory's approach to find the right cocktail if meds through while you go through the journey and it will see you through. I keep Dr. Emory and his work in my prayers and will do my best to support his work. Thank you Dr. Emory for being a medical rebel with a big heart. These words are my 'flowers for the living' for you Dr. Emory. Maggie Ibrahim, United Kingdom

flag | Submitted August 7, 2017

I am a late forties female who was frustrated by increasing weight that dieting and regular exercise didn't control. It felt like my metabolism was stalled in low gear! So I tried Dr. Emory's approach. He uses a person's physical findings and measures brain wave activity to decide how to improve their health. To my surprise he said my brainwave measures indicated my metabolism could improve with a certain amino acid! Dr. Emory's method started to increase my metabolism within the first two weeks of taking the amino acid. Also, there is a noticeable decrease in my weight and it hasn't even been a month! Really! Forever Grateful.

flag | Submitted August 3, 2017

Dr. Emory is a rare bird in the medical profession: a great diagnostician with technical and intuitive skills. I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone.

flag | Submitted June 29, 2017

We selected Dr. Emory because a couple reviews on Yelp sounded like a page taken right from our teen daughter's life.... extreme behavioral issues, irritability, insomnia, manic episodes, and a declining ability to function as a rational, normal being. Often, we didn't know when she woke up which 'daughter' we'd get- and if she woke up in a pleasant mood, we didn't know how long it would last or what would set her into a rage. We'd always felt, even as a small child, that our daughter had some sort of 'issue'. But we never believed in drugging a kid because of 'behavior'; as it seemed that Adderall was too widely prescribed without really understanding what was going on with a child. I figured I was a challenging child, and my parents dealt with it...and thus, so would I. Fast forward to puberty and things (behavior, mood, eating habits, etc.) had gotten progressively worse. We even took her out of public school (which for a period of time, seemed to be the root of some issues) and enrolled her in an independent study program hoping the 'environmental' factors would improve situations. Fact is, it didn't. And things continued to decline. At one point (among seeing therapists, etc.), we did take her to see a psychiatrist (who was very highly rated on webMD and Yelp) but became very concerned when after only meeting our daughter for 20 minutes and administering a multiple-choice questionnaire, prescribed her a very potent prescription. Feeling hopeless, we reluctantly gave it to her for less than two weeks, when we noticed she became completely catatonic. So we stopped. At that point, she resorted back into one of her 'good' swings (the episodes came in waves...where highs were high and lows were low), and we moved on. But a couple months ago, we could see her going into one of her 'low' waves....isolating herself, insomnia, binge eating or starving herself....but more concerning, was her rage....irritability...and lack of concern or care for anyone, including herself. We truly were beginning to become hopeless...looking into boarding and therapeutic schools. And then we found Dr. Emory.... I will admit; I myself am on, and have been on a prescription for nearly 15 years now - something to just help 'reduce the coefficient of friction' in life. And I remember the two years it took - trial and error, to find the right drug that suited my brain's needs. I would go to a Dr. and get a prescription....try it for a while, then report back if it helped or not. I remember experiencing all the horrible side-effects with 6+ drugs....dizziness, extreme weight gain (like 55 pounds on my small 5'-7" frame), irritability...until I found the one that worked. That was an exercise I desperately wanted to avoid with my child. But that's not how Dr. Emory approaches the field of mental health. It's not a guessing game. He's developed an incredible skill to 'read' these EEG's and understand what's going on in effort to precisely hone in on a solution. In our initial meetings with him, even he said sometimes a 'heavy' drug isn't needed. It could be something as simple as an over the counter amino acid to help get the 'phases' in sync. Our daughter was doing fantastic for a week or so...and then we started seeing little 'speed bumps' with her - where an occasional 'flare up' in attitude would occur. So I called Dr. Emory and her got her in immediately. He performed another EEG scan to see what progress was made, and where 'fine tuning' could be done. Now, I recall during our initial scan the Dr. mentioning our Daughter showed signs of several 'phases' being 'out'. But rather than prescribing several drugs, he wanted to simply try the one he felt would best help her and see how she did. And he even noted with the prescription, it could on its own help the other phases. Well, the new EEG showed improvements with one phase, but still showed the others being slow. So he prescribed a second drug to compliment the first one. Two weeks later, and it's like she's back to her old self. She's happy, talkative, interacting with the family, being pleasant...just an absolute joy again. And you know...a couple days after she started the second drug, the Dr. called us one evening around 8:30 at night on his cellphone simply to check in on her! He truly cares for his patients...and their families. I can't praise Dr. Emory enough. The technique he's developed is truly revolutionary. And it's a shame that it isn't being taught to psychiatrists as a core fundamental. To me, his quantitative and careful approach to mental health has saved our family - literally!

flag | Submitted February 25, 2017

I saw Dr. Emory in 2006 when I was 14 to 15 years old. He prescribed me Effexor XR an antidepressant that is not approved for patients under 25 because it can increase aggressive behavior and the risk of suicide. I did become aggressive and did try to commit suicide. I learned about the drugs risks for young patients when I was about 16 in 2008. He always seemed in a hurry and didn't call my mom back and we stopped seeing him and went to a new psychiatrist who did medicate me properly. I definitely don't recommend him especially if you are struggling with depression or are too young to get a rental car.

flag | Submitted September 22, 2016

Dr Emory has saved my life for over 10 years. Without him I would be dead. If you have been to countless doctors, countless meetings and tried to stay sober and are self medicating you need to see Doctor Emory. If you have problems with Depression you need to see Dr. Emory. If people have labeled you with all kinds of different Axis Two Diagnois's you need to see Dr, Emory. His method balances both the body and the brain. I never knew that the brain had such an impact on the body. I never realized everyones's brain was different and different they are. I was running around like a maniac so unbalanced and then I met Dr. Emory. The Twelve Steps taught me to keep my commitments but they cannot change brain chemistry. Moving chairs, bringing food, all of which I did for over 30 years could not keep me balanced. I am the best that I can be, And that is all due to Dr. Emory. Please go to Dr, Emory. Ask questions if you do not understand him. He is so bright that he forgets that as patients we know nothing about the brain. I read books about the brain and studied the brain after receiving his treatment I could not understand why other doctors had not done this before. It made no sense. Here was a test that showed my brain before and during. Thank god for that Test. And his treatment has continued to evolve year after year. His is like a good bottle of wine - he has gotten better with age. More knowledge - more conferences - more research. Everytime I see him I learn something new. He is the one doctor I look forward to seeing. Thank god for Dr. Emory he has saved my life. And he will save yours too.

flag | Submitted September 14, 2016

Dr. Emory is the smartest most caring Doctor I've ever known!

flag | Submitted March 5, 2016

Excellent., life-altering specialized treatment resulting in optimal brain function.

flag | Submitted January 19, 2016

Dr. W. Hamlin Emory's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

• Univ Of Va Sch Of Med, Charlottesville Va 22908 (Grad. 1967)

HIP