World Class Punctuality Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Robert D. Oates

Well, we just had our first meeting with Dr Oates, and what can I say...Professional. Honest. Kind. Over the moon smart... all of this with great shoes & a sense of humor! My partner and I are 'in the medical field', and we felt that Dr. Oates was perfect! The staff was professional and courteous. His assistant Erica was more than accommodating when helping us schedule an appointment. He explained everything to us, ensuring we understood the plan of care, and gave us the chance to ask questions, etc. Whether or not we are able to conceive on our own remains to be seen, but we can feel absolutely confident that we chose the right doctor to give it our best shot. You are doing yourself and your partner a dis-service should you choose to visit another urologist...

flag | Submitted August 22, 2015

I only have positive things to say about Dr Oates. My husband and I consulted with him and found him to be approachable, professional and knowledgeable. He provided clear explanations for our situation, and was upmost professional. If you dismiss Dr Oates according to other negative reviews posted here then that is your loss. Thank you Dr Oates for all that you do!!!

flag | Submitted March 29, 2018

Dr. Robert D. Oates's response
Thank you so much for the kind review. Infertility is such an emotionally trying experience for the couples I and my Reproductive Endocrine colleagues treat that we try as best we possibly can to provide compassionate, empathetic and excellent care. I greatly appreciate the kind words and will share them with my staff who work as hard as they can as well.

Submitted May 17, 2018

MassHealth pays for out state transgender surgery!

flag | Submitted February 27, 2018

I saw Dr. Oates a number of years ago suffering from a genetic condition that left me sterile. He performed two surgeries as part of an ICSI procedure to retrieve sperm from my testicles. Unfortunately the procedures did not result in a viable pregnancy, but Dr. Oates was one of the most caring compassionate physicians I have ever come across. He did everything possible to help my wife and me at the time to get pregnant. I am astonished to read the negative reviews about him and just felt I had to add my two cents worth.

flag | Submitted February 12, 2018

Dr. Robert D. Oates's response
Thank so much and I hope the two of you are doing well. I am humbled by the nice words and, as you know, you can always reach out to me with questions. Again, hope all is good. Thanks, Dr Oates

Submitted May 17, 2018

I'm transgender, male to female. I had an orchiectomy with Dr Oates in September 2017. The results are outstanding. I had an issue during healing that required two follow up visits, both on a moment's notice, and Dr Oates was able to see me immediately both times. My partner and I were both impressed with his manner and wit. Especially the wit, he's a funny guy and a true professional. I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted December 5, 2017

He just did a genetics testing and made his decision. He didn't even provide me my test results. His staff is so rude. They never pick up the phones in the office and hardly ever return the e-mails you send. I went to him for infertility medicine and decided to go elsewhere afterwards. Do your research. Do not use the services rendered by this doctor.

flag | Submitted July 31, 2017

My husband had a reversal in May of 2015, 13 years from the original vasectomy. Dr. Oates performed the vas-to-epididymis repair on both on both sides (the much more difficult and delicate surgery). Six month later we had 13milion/mL, eight months after the reversal 46 million/mL, and one year and a half later we have 56 million/mL with motility of 32% :). We are doing IVF now, mostly due to the fact that I'm 36 years old already, and I have a health plan that covers IVF after a successful reversal so I don't want to wait, but the reversal was a great success. Dr. Oates's personality is ok, the staff is ok, but at the end of the day it's the results that count and he did an outstanding job. The cost, by the way, was about $8,000. Not the cheapest but worth it.

flag | Submitted January 28, 2017

Dr Oates did what others couldn't. He is a very personable individual and very much skilled. If you want to get a vasectomy reversed, he is the best. I had my vasectomy more than 20 years ago and today found out that the reversal done at the end of July was a success.

flag | Submitted November 1, 2016

I encourage you to think twice before making negative comments about Dr. Oates. Unsuccessful surgeries are not a reflection of him nor his innovative surgical techniques. This process is painful for all adults. Some successful and others not. Nevertheless, the process regardless of outcome is painful.

flag | Submitted April 28, 2015

I am shocked to read so many derogatory reviews in regard to the personality and bedside manner of Dr. Oates. My husband and I have only experienced a very professional, friendly and knowledgeable side of Dr. Oates. He has always taken his time to explain complicated medical information with us and we always share a few laughs in the process. I can only imagine that with such a sensitive subject at hand that many people may be sensitive and misunderstand his personality. He is leaps and bounds ahead of the original urologist that my husband went to.

flag | Submitted February 15, 2015

Dr. Robert D. Oates's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Oates is a Professor of Urology at Boston University School of Medicine. Having completed one of the early clinical fellowships in Male Reproductive Medicine and Surgery in 1988, he returned to Boston and has trained many fellows and residents in his subspecialty. He has presented at local, national and international meetings on innumerable occasions (symposia, podium, poster, roundtable). In his male reproductive surgical research career, he authored the first papers on the intentional cryopreservation of epididymal and testis sperm and has been actively involved in clinical and laboratory research on the genetic basis of male reproductive failure, having directed the research leading to the first peer-reviewed manuscript linking Congenital Bilateral Absence of the Vas Deferens and mutations in the Cystic Fibrosis genes. He authored the definitive publication on the clinical aspects of a Y chromosomal AZFc microdeletion with David Page. He has served as President of the Society for the Study of Male Reproduction (SSMR), the President of the Society of Male Reproduction and Urology (SMRU), an affiliate society within ASRM, and President of the New England Fertility Society. He directs the Fellowship and Residency programs for the Boston University Department of Urology, and has a busy clinical practice involving all aspects of Male Reproductive Medicine and Surgery. He has served as Program Chair for many national societal meetings and was the Scientific Program Chair for the 2012 ASRM Annual Meeting.

• English
  • Spanish

• Boston University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1982)

• Vasectomy reversal