Ratings for Dr. Robert D. Oates

He just did a genetics testing and made his decision. He didn't even provide me my test results. His staff is so rude. They never pick up the phones in the office and hardly ever return the e-mails you send. I went to him for infertility medicine and decided to go elsewhere afterwards. Do your research. Do not use the services rendered by this doctor.

flag | Submitted July 31, 2017

My husband had a reversal in May of 2015, 13 years from the original vasectomy. Dr. Oates performed the vas-to-epididymis repair on both on both sides (the much more difficult and delicate surgery). Six month later we had 13milion/mL, eight months after the reversal 46 million/mL, and one year and a half later we have 56 million/mL with motility of 32% :). We are doing IVF now, mostly due to the fact that I'm 36 years old already, and I have a health plan that covers IVF after a successful reversal so I don't want to wait, but the reversal was a great success. Dr. Oates's personality is ok, the staff is ok, but at the end of the day it's the results that count and he did an outstanding job. The cost, by the way, was about $8,000. Not the cheapest but worth it.

flag | Submitted January 28, 2017

Dr Oates did what others couldn't. He is a very personable individual and very much skilled. If you want to get a vasectomy reversed, he is the best. I had my vasectomy more than 20 years ago and today found out that the reversal done at the end of July was a success.

flag | Submitted November 1, 2016

Well, we just had our first meeting with Dr Oates, and what can I say...Professional. Honest. Kind. Over the moon smart... all of this with great shoes & a sense of humor! My partner and I are 'in the medical field', and we felt that Dr. Oates was perfect! The staff was professional and courteous. His assistant Erica was more than accommodating when helping us schedule an appointment. He explained everything to us, ensuring we understood the plan of care, and gave us the chance to ask questions, etc. Whether or not we are able to conceive on our own remains to be seen, but we can feel absolutely confident that we chose the right doctor to give it our best shot. You are doing yourself and your partner a dis-service should you choose to visit another urologist...

flag | Submitted August 22, 2015

I encourage you to think twice before making negative comments about Dr. Oates. Unsuccessful surgeries are not a reflection of him nor his innovative surgical techniques. This process is painful for all adults. Some successful and others not. Nevertheless, the process regardless of outcome is painful.

flag | Submitted April 28, 2015

I am shocked to read so many derogatory reviews in regard to the personality and bedside manner of Dr. Oates. My husband and I have only experienced a very professional, friendly and knowledgeable side of Dr. Oates. He has always taken his time to explain complicated medical information with us and we always share a few laughs in the process. I can only imagine that with such a sensitive subject at hand that many people may be sensitive and misunderstand his personality. He is leaps and bounds ahead of the original urologist that my husband went to.

flag | Submitted February 15, 2015

My wife and I are Registered Nurses. We found Dr. Oates to be extremely knowledgeable, very honest, very polite, in fact very funny during the initial consultation. He made us feel very comfortable about the procedure. The day of surgery he was very comforting, had me very relaxed and confident with his abilities prior to heading into the OR. Post op he found my wife and went over the surgery completely as well as the recovery process till she was comfortable. His OR staff, both pre and post operatively were very knowledgeable, very confident, and made us feel very secure. I would highly recommend Dr. Oates to a family member or friend.

flag | Submitted December 22, 2013

Today 9/25/13 we had an appointment with Dr Oates. We were very nervous to meet him because of all the bad reviews. Dr oates met us at the door and walked us back right on time. He was very nice and actually very funny. Made us feel very comfortable and explained procedure in detail. Answered all our questions.

flag | Submitted September 25, 2013

We were referred to Dr. Oates by both my gynecologist and husband's urologist. I was very nervous about meeting him after reading all the negative reviews, but to my surprise he was so nice. He actually met us at the door! I have never had that happen. He was great. He examined my husband and diagnosed him in 10 seconds. He was glad to answer our questions and set us up with the necessary tests. We saw him again 4 weeks later (again met us at the door) and confirmed his diagnosis. Gladly answered all our questions. We are set to schedule the surgery and start IVF. I can see how some see him as arrogant, but when you are the best in your field, how can you not be a little?

flag | Submitted May 2, 2013

I have never met a more rude Dr. He was condescending and lectured me (10 minutes) about medical decisions I have made in the past without even asking a medical history...and he was wrong about it... UGH. Do yourself a favor and don't go here!!!

flag | Submitted April 23, 2013

Dr. Robert D. Oates's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Oates is a Professor of Urology at Boston University School of Medicine. Having completed one of the early clinical fellowships in Male Reproductive Medicine and Surgery in 1988, he returned to Boston and has trained many fellows and residents in his subspecialty. He has presented at local, national and international meetings on innumerable occasions (symposia, podium, poster, roundtable). In his male reproductive surgical research career, he authored the first papers on the intentional cryopreservation of epididymal and testis sperm and has been actively involved in clinical and laboratory research on the genetic basis of male reproductive failure, having directed the research leading to the first peer-reviewed manuscript linking Congenital Bilateral Absence of the Vas Deferens and mutations in the Cystic Fibrosis genes. He authored the definitive publication on the clinical aspects of a Y chromosomal AZFc microdeletion with David Page. He has served as President of the Society for the Study of Male Reproduction (SSMR), the President of the Society of Male Reproduction and Urology (SMRU), an affiliate society within ASRM, and President of the New England Fertility Society. He directs the Fellowship and Residency programs for the Boston University Department of Urology, and has a busy clinical practice involving all aspects of Male Reproductive Medicine and Surgery. He has served as Program Chair for many national societal meetings and was the Scientific Program Chair for the 2012 ASRM Annual Meeting.

• English
  • Spanish

• Boston University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1982)

• Vasectomy reversal