You may also like

Ratings for Dr. Patrick Pierse

Brushes off all parent concerns. His one liners get old fast. Never lets you talk. Too busy reassuring that everything is normal to actually check the child. Took our son to another paediatrician who referred him immediately to a Pediatric Neurologist due to repeated daily seizures. But when we asked Dr. Pierse to look into it we were told we just needed to be more entertaining and properly lit and our son would look at us. Now to see just how much damage has been done in our delay of getting competent care. We have both said we could walk in with one of our children's legs hanging off and he would tell us it's all normal! However, the front ladies have always been kind and willing to get us in on days that fit our schedule so the office did score well for that. However, clearly we do not trust this doctor and have a new paediatrician.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2016

Dr. Pierse is a very pleasant man, and is wonderful with kids - however a lot of the appointment is spent by him talking about completely unrelated topics, than your child's health. He was helpful with the initial diagnosis- but when she didn't fit into the normal way this disorder presents- he is dismissive. And do not mention or ask about any natural path treatments, he is very against anything but Western medicine- even if you have found some success with it. We have now found a doctor that will listen to our concerns, instead of telling us how/what we are feeling.

flag | Submitted December 23, 2015

Dr. Pierse was the pediatrician assigned by the hospital when my daughter and son were born. He is very pro breast feeding as mentioned in other posts and very good at connecting with kids. He is very personable and tells it like it is which I appreciated. The reason we stopped seeing him is because he seemed to brush off my concerns, my son has ptosis in his left eye and Dr. Pierse told me he did not need a referral to a pediatric opthamologist because he said it was purely cosmetic and not a big deal. My son is now 3, his new pediatrician referred him to an opthamologist and it turns out his eye lid covers his pupil which is affecting his eye site; he is booked for surgery in September. As another review says, he seldom lets you get a word in and although he is quite thorough in his instructions I found that he always seemed very rushed and couldn't get out of the room fast enough. This is most likely because for the most part my kids are healthy and only the standard instructions applied. I also found the office very hard to contact and wait times quite long.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2015

Needs to catch up on more info regarding nutrition. A bit uninformed. Very VERY pleasant man. I honestly really do like him but he has this horrible habit of not ever letting me speak. He does 90% of the talking. When he asks a question i barely get to say 2 words & interupts me. I don't even get to ask questions because every single time I try to say anything he talks over me. He makes a lot of assumptions about what I think or don't know. My appointment is filled with him talking telling me useless information and then assuming he knows what I was about to ask. Then follows it up with contradicting EVERYTHING that is standard care for an infant saying "do you know how many of those I have?.... Don't believe anything you read or hear out there. It is all garbage. Don't listen to anything anybody says..." It's even health Canada stuff... Not going into specifics... But I'm going to a different pediatrician now as it is too much of a frustrating experience every time I see this man. It's unfortunate as despite the aggrivation I really do like him.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2015

We saw Dr. Pierse when our eldest was first born in the mid-nineties and I found him to be first rate and very knowledgeable. My wife liked him at first too but she had great difficulty with breastfeeding (some women just have difficulty lactating), and he, at that point in time anyway, was very pro-breastfeeding and unsympathetic to her situation. We eventually sought out another paediatrician who was a better fit for our family. I'm not sure about now, but at the time we were seeing him, Dr. Pierse was, in my opinion, one of the best paediatricians in the greater Edmonton area, and one you would be glad to have at your child's bedside in the event of a medical emergency. However, from reading other comments on this site, it seems he, like many other paediatricians, has more patients than time available. If you need to wait an hour or two to see him, or if you need to book a month or two in advance for a routine appointment, I would venture to say that is par for the course with most paediatricians. However, if it is even much worse than that now, it might be time to see if you can find a younger paediatrician that is not so overbooked. Also, if you aren't planning to breastfeed, or anticipate possible difficulty in this area, unless his attitude has changed in recent years, you might want to seek out someone else less judgemental.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2015

Dr Pierce has an INCREDIBLE way to connect with his young patients!!! He is extremely knowledgable and I love his sense of humour! I put 4 stars for punctuality b/c he takes the time to thoroughly examine the patients and their problems, therefore I don't mind waiting to see him. I do a callback to his office to say my child has benefited from his visit and they are more than gracious to recieve those calls!

flag | Submitted September 29, 2014

Can NEVER get a hold of office! Tried 3 different days to book an appointment. Last appointment was 2 hours later than booked time! He is very knowledgeable, but booking and waiting times are very frustrating

flag | Submitted September 5, 2014

Great Doctor. Dr. Pierse has been treating my family since my brother was a Infant. My brother was sick, hospitalized. It was a rough time for my mom. She was then referred to Dr. Pierse. Heaven sent, was able to diagnose what was wrong and put her mind at peace. I now take my own son. While Dr. Pierse can appear rushed he has always treated my son well. He is also the one Doctor I can trust to not just issue out a prescription, unless it is needed. Living out of town sometimes makes it difficult to come in for appointments. I have taken my son to the drop-in clinics. After being wrongly diagnosed and prescribed the wrong medication. Will now only take my son to Dr. Pierse. There is no other doctor I will ever trust with my son.

flag | Submitted February 4, 2014

My daughter has been waking in the night with abdominal pain since she was about four months and very gassy during the day. I have been to Dr. Pierse three times to try and figure out what's wrong (once I was seen by someone sitting in for him though). Although he is very friendly and clearly has a lot of knowledge, he would not hear me at all about my daughter's tummy. He tried to convince me she was waking up to nurse. The kid writhes in pain, I can tell the difference between that and wanting to nurse. I have since stopped nursing and she still has this problem on occasion although it's not as bad. I just feel like my concerns weren't taken seriously and I dl feel like any future concerns will be similarly dismissed.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2014

I've wasted hours on the phone trying to get through just to make an appointment. He's on holidays every other week, nobody covers he's practice when he's away and you can't leave a message on his answering machine. If you have an emergency you are told to go to your family doctor or nearest emergency room. I have three young children, my middle child has serious health problems. Dr. Pierse had told me to call on a specific date if certain symptoms are still present. I've spent hours on the phone just to get a busy signal then when someone finally answers I'll get put on hold for 45 minutes. When the receptionist does take my call she's very friendly but dismissive and messages are not passed on to the doctor in a timely manner. Dr. Pierse does not have hospital rights at the Stollery Children's Hospital, which is problematic if your child has been admitted there. He does not have enough office hours to properly cover his large patient load.

flag | Submitted November 19, 2013

Dr. Patrick Pierse's Credentials

Updates

• A new 2.2-star rating has been posted. "Brushes off all parent concerns. His one liners get old fast. Never lets you talk. Too busy reassuring that everything is normal to actually check the child. To..."

January 29, 2016
  • A new 3-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Pierse is a very pleasant man, and is wonderful with kids - however a lot of the appointment is spent by him talking about completely unrelated topics, tha..."

December 23, 2015
  • A new 2.5-star rating has been posted. "This man is an ignorant British wanker. He will not let you get more than 3 words in before talking over you and talking down to you. My kids will not be seeing..."

November 10, 2015
  • A new 3.8-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Pierse was the pediatrician assigned by the hospital when my daughter and son were born. He is very pro breast feeding as mentioned in other posts and very..."

August 17, 2015
  • A new 4-star rating has been posted. "Needs to catch up on more info regarding nutrition. A bit uninformed. Very VERY pleasant man. I honestly really do like him but he has this horrible habit of no..."

February 26, 2015
  • A new 3.5-star rating has been posted. "We saw Dr. Pierse when our eldest was first born in the mid-nineties and I found him to be first rate and very knowledgeable. My wife liked him at first too but..."

February 10, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "Dr Pierce has an INCREDIBLE way to connect with his young patients!!! He is extremely knowledgable and I love his sense of humour! I put 4 stars for punctualit..."

September 29, 2014
  • A new 2.5-star rating has been posted. "Can NEVER get a hold of office! Tried 3 different days to book an appointment. Last appointment was 2 hours later than booked time! He is very knowledgeable, ..."

September 5, 2014