Ratings for Dr. Patrick Pierse

I had been taking my child to Dr. Pierse from birth to toddler. Generally seeing him was good. He would joke around and was fairly pleasant. Until one day when I took my toddler for a routine check up. He was even farther behind schedule than usual, even though we had a morning appointment. Nothing in the examining room was baby proofed (low hanging chords, easily accessible cupboards, etc). It was all I could do to keep my energetic toddler from completely taking the room apart. Finally, he came in and began scolding me for anything that was even slightly out of place. Then he proceeded to thoroughly and angrily criticize and insult me, my parenting, and my child. I was extremely caught of guard. It seemed out of character, like he was having a bad day and decided to unload on me. Once the appointment was over, I literally ran out of the office fighting back tears. I haven't been back since. I personally don't feel comfortable around someone whose behaviour is so unpredictable. If he really was having that bad of a day, he should have rescheduled his appointments!

flag | Submitted September 27, 2016

Dr. Pierse happened to be the Pediatrician at the hospital when I had my son 4 years ago and I feel so lucky to have him as my children's doctor. He is always putting us at ease and answers any and all questions we may have. He is amazing with kids and I love his old school mentality about kids health and parenting. I wouldn't want anyone else.

flag | Submitted August 7, 2016

I was referred to Dr Pierse by my OB Dr Corbett (whom I can't say enough good things about!) during my pregnancy. Upon first meeting him when my daughter was born I found him nice and funny. He made alot of humorous one liners and seemed like a good guy - even if he didn't really let you get a word in. But with every appointment since I've steadily become more frustrated and upset by him. He doesn't really listen to any of your concerns, he becomes easily frustrated with you if you ask more than one question and makes condescending remarks that leave you feeling like you're a five year old who's been told off, not a concerned parent just trying to do their best. I've lost any faith I had in him now as I'm sure he's written our family off as complainers and probably would tell me she was fine no matter what at this point. I think maybe he's a little too old school and the years are wearing on him, probably time to retire.

flag | Submitted August 4, 2016

We were assigned dr Pierse at the hospital, he was very pleasant and fun with the baby. However we quickly learned that we placed way too much trust in him than we should. After countless issues being identified as "normal" to his interns checking the baby and him not doing it himself to waiting over an hour for our appts to find out he doesn't look at his patients files before he meets them (his words). He missed 2 MAJOR health issues that we brought up several times and then dismissed them as being minor. I left his office twice in tears as we got blindsided by a significant diagnosis months later with NO information/resources. I had to look it up on my own and had to wait another 6 months for a specialist. Hard to explain all the hurt and anger we have felt over the lack of care we received there but more so the concern for my son. I hope no one has to go through what we did there, no parent should have to do that 😞

flag | Submitted May 31, 2016

Brushes off all parent concerns. His one liners get old fast. Never lets you talk. Too busy reassuring that everything is normal to actually check the child. Took our son to another paediatrician who referred him immediately to a Pediatric Neurologist due to repeated daily seizures. But when we asked Dr. Pierse to look into it we were told we just needed to be more entertaining and properly lit and our son would look at us. Now to see just how much damage has been done in our delay of getting competent care. We have both said we could walk in with one of our children's legs hanging off and he would tell us it's all normal! However, the front ladies have always been kind and willing to get us in on days that fit our schedule so the office did score well for that. However, clearly we do not trust this doctor and have a new paediatrician.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2016

Dr. Pierse is a very pleasant man, and is wonderful with kids - however a lot of the appointment is spent by him talking about completely unrelated topics, than your child's health. He was helpful with the initial diagnosis- but when she didn't fit into the normal way this disorder presents- he is dismissive. And do not mention or ask about any natural path treatments, he is very against anything but Western medicine- even if you have found some success with it. We have now found a doctor that will listen to our concerns, instead of telling us how/what we are feeling.

flag | Submitted December 23, 2015

Dr. Pierse was the pediatrician assigned by the hospital when my daughter and son were born. He is very pro breast feeding as mentioned in other posts and very good at connecting with kids. He is very personable and tells it like it is which I appreciated. The reason we stopped seeing him is because he seemed to brush off my concerns, my son has ptosis in his left eye and Dr. Pierse told me he did not need a referral to a pediatric opthamologist because he said it was purely cosmetic and not a big deal. My son is now 3, his new pediatrician referred him to an opthamologist and it turns out his eye lid covers his pupil which is affecting his eye site; he is booked for surgery in September. As another review says, he seldom lets you get a word in and although he is quite thorough in his instructions I found that he always seemed very rushed and couldn't get out of the room fast enough. This is most likely because for the most part my kids are healthy and only the standard instructions applied. I also found the office very hard to contact and wait times quite long.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2015

Needs to catch up on more info regarding nutrition. A bit uninformed. Very VERY pleasant man. I honestly really do like him but he has this horrible habit of not ever letting me speak. He does 90% of the talking. When he asks a question i barely get to say 2 words & interupts me. I don't even get to ask questions because every single time I try to say anything he talks over me. He makes a lot of assumptions about what I think or don't know. My appointment is filled with him talking telling me useless information and then assuming he knows what I was about to ask. Then follows it up with contradicting EVERYTHING that is standard care for an infant saying "do you know how many of those I have?.... Don't believe anything you read or hear out there. It is all garbage. Don't listen to anything anybody says..." It's even health Canada stuff... Not going into specifics... But I'm going to a different pediatrician now as it is too much of a frustrating experience every time I see this man. It's unfortunate as despite the aggrivation I really do like him.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2015

We saw Dr. Pierse when our eldest was first born in the mid-nineties and I found him to be first rate and very knowledgeable. My wife liked him at first too but she had great difficulty with breastfeeding (some women just have difficulty lactating), and he, at that point in time anyway, was very pro-breastfeeding and unsympathetic to her situation. We eventually sought out another paediatrician who was a better fit for our family. I'm not sure about now, but at the time we were seeing him, Dr. Pierse was, in my opinion, one of the best paediatricians in the greater Edmonton area, and one you would be glad to have at your child's bedside in the event of a medical emergency. However, from reading other comments on this site, it seems he, like many other paediatricians, has more patients than time available. If you need to wait an hour or two to see him, or if you need to book a month or two in advance for a routine appointment, I would venture to say that is par for the course with most paediatricians. However, if it is even much worse than that now, it might be time to see if you can find a younger paediatrician that is not so overbooked. Also, if you aren't planning to breastfeed, or anticipate possible difficulty in this area, unless his attitude has changed in recent years, you might want to seek out someone else less judgemental.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2015

Dr Pierce has an INCREDIBLE way to connect with his young patients!!! He is extremely knowledgable and I love his sense of humour! I put 4 stars for punctuality b/c he takes the time to thoroughly examine the patients and their problems, therefore I don't mind waiting to see him. I do a callback to his office to say my child has benefited from his visit and they are more than gracious to recieve those calls!

flag | Submitted September 29, 2014