Ratings for Dr. Andrew Budning

Simply Canada’s best ophthalmologist. We are lucky to have someone like him in the GTA.

flag | Submitted June 8, 2018

Dr. Budning and the other doctors at Sick Kids Hospital treated my daughter from the age of 2 when they diagnosed her with Coats' Disease, a rare eye disease that results in blindness and in some cases, removal of the eye. She had been previously seen by two other ophthalmologists who honestly told me they did not have a clue what they were looking at when they examined her eyes, but kindly referred me on to Sick Kids. I cannot tell you how eternally grateful we are, that we had access to the knowledge, incredible surgical skills and support from Dr. Budning and Dr. Heon at Sick Kids. Dr. Budning became my daughter's full time eye doctor, performed countless surgeries, including strabismus surgery when she was around 12 or 13. He did an absolutely outstanding job and managed to save my daughter's eye. I have read some of these reviews and honestly wonder if these parents recognize how incredibly fortunate we are to have access to doctors of the caliber of Dr. Budning? I read today about an American mother without health insurance in the US trying to find care for her son with Coats' Disease, without access to an expert doctor or the money to treat him, and want to give the negative reviewers a reality check. Dr. Budning is a shy, reserved man, but very kind, incredibly efficient and an absolute expert in his field. The reason his practice is so incredibly busy is that his expertise is in extremely high demand. I personally can see the stress that his schedule puts on him - and did my best not to add to it by keeping conversation focused on what was important - my daughter's visual health. Yes I had to sit in waiting rooms for appointments, from the early days of clinics at Sick Kids - to appointments at Dr. Budning's clinic - and yes it was difficult with babies, toddlers, young child etc., but accept that fact as part of the benefit of my daughter having access to an in demand world class doctor and expert in her disease - and - without one cent paid in fees as a result of our universal health care. I have such high regard for Dr. Budning and the exceptional care and support he provided my daughter for close to 20 years and am grateful that this doctor continues to share his knowledge with new med students as a professor at University of Toronto and adds to the worldwide scientific research on eye disease and advancement in treatment. Canadians are incredibly fortunate to be able to call Dr. Andrew Budning one of our own.

flag | Submitted March 4, 2018

Time to change the receptionist ..they are . very rude.

flag | Submitted January 15, 2018

If I could change one thing in the past, it would be allowing Dr. Budning to treat my daughter for almost fourteen years. The staff in this institute are both unprofessional and rude to the patients and their families. I did not know that my daughter had an appointment and was not reminded of it as it was scheduled a year in advance. It is easier to get in contact with the prime minister than this institute. I have left many messages, none of which the receptionists responded to and when I finally did get in contact with them, the appointment had already passed and we had to pay a fee. I had no problem at all paying the fee but I explained to them the fact that it is important to send a notice that there is an upcoming appointment. Then I asked the receptionist to schedule a second appointment which she did not do because of the fee. She was being highly unprofessional, speaking with no manners in a loud and unpleasant voice which is not expected from a highly respected institute; then hung up the phone in my face. She quickly called back and said that Dr. Budning can no longer take my daughter as a patient. This is extremely disappointing as my daughter has had three surgeries with Dr. Budning. We are now happy to have been referred to a better institute than anything Dr. Budning would have to offer. Also, Dr. Budning should really update his clinic because I can see the bugs crawling out of his nasty, ugly and thirty-year-old carpet.

flag | Submitted January 2, 2018

Dr. Biding is extremely arrogant and has horrible bedside manner. I wouldn't recommend him.

flag | Submitted September 19, 2017

My daughter was diagnosed out of Canada. I took her to this institute. From the moment we enterd the clinic it was really horrible. The staff at the reception was very rude. Speaking in a way as if we are begging her, she tried her best to let us pay in cash. The waiting area is miserable. The clinic is more miserable. He examined my daughter in a very primitive way, as if we are in the 1950's, even the stick he is using as a pointer is broken. I can hardly understand him. He recommended a very out-dated methode that is not working with kids. We took an appointment after 6 months... the funny thing they didn't remind us for the appoint, but once it is missed, they reminded us that we are to pay $45 in cash I've never seen such neglecting medical institute as them. I recommed people not to go their unless the staff become polite and professional. I wish there is a tool to assess the medical institutes through the OHIP so these people deal in a professional way

flag | Submitted August 14, 2017

Dr. Budning is extremely knowledgeable takes his time to explain the clients situation. Excellent Dr.

flag | Submitted August 10, 2017

I am so grateful that Dr. Budning performed successful surgeries on me that reversed a debilitating, progressive condition. His staff has always been extremely helpful, answering questions, and responding quickly.

flag | Submitted July 14, 2017

I've had a history of botched strabismus correction surgeries (my eye turned in when I was born and was turned out by two "corrective" surgeries as a toddler, then temporarily improved by a third surgery in my teens). My fourth (and hopefully final) surgery was with Dr. Budning this week (June 20th). As an adult patient, I appreciate Dr. Budning's frank attitude. He gave me realistic expectations for the outcome of the surgery, described his plans of attack depending on what he encountered in the operating room/how I responded to the surgery, and is going to follow up with determining my proper prescription for corrective lenses since apparently my last eye exam didn't quite get the right numbers (which can have an effect on eye alignment due to strain during focusing). The surgical experience at Credit Valley hospital was so far the most pleasant and efficient of my life. For those who have provided low ratings due to this inexplicable need for the office to book surgeries before they are deemed necessary, they are trying to do you a favour. If the surgery date is selected in advance, it will ultimately lead to a more rapid treatment than if you wait the time it takes to actually be assessed by Dr. Budning himself and THEN book the surgery. This was explained to me at my first appointment, but maybe not everyone gets the message. They won't proceed with the surgery if it isn't necessary, but it's better to have the slot booked in advance in case it is necessary, since there is such a busy surgical schedule. After 30 years, I can finally look people straight in the eyes, and I have Dr. Budning and his staff to thank for that.

flag | Submitted June 22, 2017

Dr. Budning and staff are professional & efficient! Dr. Budning successfully operated on both of my eyes, once when I was age 32 and again age 34. Both surgeries were smooth and exactly as described. I am so grateful for Dr. Budning's brilliant surgical skills, Cathie's kind approach as a knowledgeable orthoptist and the warm office staff.

flag | Submitted June 11, 2017