Ratings for Dr. Jim Canniff

I am not really a fan of these kinds of sites, as a person with an axe to grind can write anything they want with no recourse. However, after reading a couple of comments, I feel it is important to add my own experience here... I was referred to this dr. by my lawyer, a partner with one of the largest firms in Edmonton. I was told his reputation is solid and respected (divorce). I saw Dr. Canniff for over 4 years. I am quite sure that I was a very difficult client, in that I was extremely emotional and stressed. I resisted seeing things another way forever, and I found Dr. Canniff to be incredibly patient and supportive. He was always kind and thoughtful throughout my many moods. When I read that one reviewer said he is 'biased' and that he did not disclose conflict of interest, I can only say that I do not believe this reviewer is being truthful as I found him to irritatingly ethical - he seems to be black and white on how he deals with this area. I would not hesitate to highly recommend him to anyone who needs a skilled psychologist - if I need to see a counsellor again, I will be happy to return to be his client.

flag | Submitted July 13, 2016

Jim Canniff is an extremely caring, gentle, kind, and compassionate therapist. I've worked with him over the past 3 years while going through a difficult divorce. Jim is thorough, blunt, and the strategies he has given me have worked. I'm grateful for his supportiveness, powerful advice, willingness to always make me reflect and help me grow. More psychologists need to rip a page outta his book.

flag | Submitted March 14, 2016

I agree with another review here. I believe Dr Canniff was biased, and had a conflict of interest which he failed to disclose during the Home Assessment. He has a reputation of bias in divorce cases, which I found to be true. Would not recommend Dr Canniff at all. He should stick to his side business of construction instead.

flag | Submitted August 14, 2015

Dr. Jim has been absolutely fantastic for my family. My young son looks up to him and gets excited whenever we are going to visit him. I highly recommend him. And he also always takes the time to talk to me (the mom) to see how I am doing, even though my son is his client.

flag | Submitted June 15, 2015

Although Dr. Canniff may be skilled with children and teens, he does not in my opinion seem to know anything about women's traumatic issues. I found him self-centered and narcissistic and I was not impressed with the manner in which he interacted with his staff. Avoid at all costs!

flag | Submitted July 1, 2014

As a result of a long, extremely difficult divorce, I was referred to Dr. Canniff. As an adult, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to anyone who requires the services of a psychologist! His dedication, professionalism, sense of humour (let no-one underestimate the value of a good laugh - especially in dealing with a protracted divorce!) were unfailing. I know, without a doubt, that I would not have come 'out the other end' intact without his guidance.

flag | Submitted September 18, 2013

Dr.Canniff saved my life! I was first referred to him by my employee insurance provider following an auto accident and following my coverage ending he allowed me to continue with his support and encouragement until I was strong enough to go-it on my own! I recommend him to anyone that actually wants to feel like they are a person worthy of the company and love of those they associate with!

flag | Submitted June 26, 2011

Seriously? Only two people rated this man? And here I was thinking it was ONLY kids that were using the net. I got recommended to him as an angry, 15 year old foster child. I'm now 32. He has helped me with so many issues I've lost track, but he has never once asked for a dime for his counselling (even after I left Social Services). And that's ignoring the "above and beyond" things no other doctor in the world would do - helped me win a landmark case against the AB gvmt, forcing them to pay for my University and living expenses; would help me with issues driving me into absolute suicidal depression by EMAIL (always within 24 hours!)(or sooner & by phone if emergency); found me a pain clinic that actually helped my migraines after 7+ years of trying everything from acupuncture to hypnosis to any other alternative therapy you could name (not to mention drugs drugs drugs). I haven't seen him in years, but I know I could call/email him today, and he would help me with ANYTHING (for FREE).

flag | Submitted February 3, 2010

Dr. Jim has been amazing over the past couple of years. Really helps children and teens overcome adolesence issues and step family problems. Has been an incredible help to our whole family!

flag | Submitted June 4, 2008

He is an excellent Chartered Psychologist for children and teens.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2006