Ratings for Dr. Brian J. Bear

Very thorough in evaluating my condition before surgery. I had four knuckles replaced. Before surgery I had to straighten my fingers manually. Surgery restored 95 % my lost mobility in my right hand.

flag | Submitted February 17, 2017

I was in terrible pain when I first saw him at Rockford Memorial Hospital. I was high risk and after running 2 days of test on me he performed surgery, put 3 metal plates in my arm and freed up a trapped new. I felt wonderful coming out of surgery. When I first went to him I had nerve damage in my arm and hand and after surgery and 10 months of physical therapy I am back to playing the piano. I would recommend him and his PA Joe to anyone. They are knowledgable, kind and compassionate. I can not thank them enough.

flag | Submitted February 13, 2017

I received excellent care from Dr. Bear. I suffered from a broken wrist, which was broken opposite of normal fractures. It happened to be my dominate hand, so I wanted to seek out a good orthopedic surgeon. I am very, very pleased with my treatment and my outcome! Dr. Bear is a very skilled surgeon and treated me very professionally as well as including my husband in on all discussions. I would recommend him to anyone needing a very skilled orthopedic surgeon.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2017

Dr Bear is a great surgeon. I had carpal surgery on hand multiple years with great results. Recently had trigger finger and carpal surgery and very happy with usage of hand. Thanks Dr Bear.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2016

Dr. Bear is an excellent surgeon. He has given me back the use of my left hand that I have not had for over 20 years. He and all his staff are caring, friendly, knowledgeable and professional. I have already recommended him to several friends and acquaintances.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2016

Dr. Bear is one of the best Doctors-ever. After 3 knuckle replacements done by a doctor who thankfully is retired, he fused my finger, and it is awesome. And i just went thru an operation for a badly torn Rotator Cuff, and a badly torn biceps, one of the worst hes seen, and with the help with the awesome Therapy i had from there with Megan, it feels awesome. I recomend him to anyone i know who has shoulder and other thoughts os a great doctor...see him. Hes one of the best. Deanne W.

flag | Submitted January 21, 2016

Dr. Bear did a great job on my elbow surgery. I have had very little discomfort and my rehab is on schedule.

flag | Submitted April 21, 2015

Doctor Bear was very thorough in explaining my condition, different treatment options, possible complications and expected recovery time. I had surgery, and was impressed with the friendliness of the staff, as well as the cleanliness of the surgery center. I am now fully recovered and glad to be back doing the things I love to do as well as resuming work with no restrictions. I am very confident in the skill level of Dr. Bear, and would not hesitate to use, and recommend him in the future.

flag | Submitted April 21, 2015

I would highly recommend Dr. Bear to anyone. Not sure what the prior review is all about. Dr. Bear has been very concerned about my pain and has taken whatever time I've needed with him. He has taken the time to make sure he got an accurate diagnosis. He's very professional, he's attended the best schools in the country and was at the top of his class. You can't find a better doctor.

flag | Submitted May 10, 2011

Dr. Brian J. Bear's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

I would like to take this opportunity to tell you more about myself and my experience in health care. Originally from Winnetka, Illinois, I attended Northwestern University graduating in 1987, cum laude, president of Mortar Board Senior Honor Society and a member of Phi Betta Kappa. I continued my studies at Northwestern University School of Medicine, receiving my medical degree in 1991 as a member of Alpha Omega Alpha honor society. Following my graduation, I pursued advanced orthopedic training at Cornell Hospital for Special Surgery, which is ranked as the top orthopedic hospital in the United States. In addition, I completed a specialized training fellowship program in elbow and hand surgery at the Mayo Clinic. My practice is focused on shoulder, elbow, hand, microvascular, traumatic, and reconstructive surgery. It is my mission to provide you compassionate care with expertise comparable to any major university center. I am humbled by my inclusion in two prestigious quality health care listings: as a Castle Connolly Regional Top DoctorR, and the Best DoctorsR list. Earning a place on either list is a result of being nominated by other physicians and a thorough review by the listing organization into my background, professional achievements, patient satisfaction and positive treatment record. Inclusion on the Best DoctorR list is a direct result of other doctors selecting me as the person they would choose to treat themselves or a family member. These are honors I take very seriously and I am committed to maintaining the high standards they represent with all my patients. I am actively involved in continuing education, have given numerous lectures, and published many orthopedic articles. As Clinical Associate Professor of Surgery at the University of Illinois College of Medicine, I have been awarded the Golden Apple teaching award and the Excellence in Teaching award. I am a reviewer for the acclaimed Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery and currently serve as a faculty member at the Orthopedic Learning Center, where I teach other surgeons the latest techniques of hand, elbow and shoulder surgery. I hold Associate and Assistant Clinical Professor of Orthopedic Surgery positions respectively at University of Illinois College of Medicine in Rockford and Rush University Medical Center in Chicago where I help train medical students, family practice residents, and orthopedic surgery residents. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to further improve your experience at Rockford Orthopedic. My goal is to provide the best medical care available to help you return to an active and pain-free lifestyle.

• English

• Northwestern University Medical School (Grad. 1991)

• Castle Connolly Regional Top Doctor, 2014