Ratings for Dr. Steven C. Mathus

Dr. Mathus is very short with his patients, sometimes only providing one word responses to questions. I have had appointments with him that lasted 3 minutes because he was needed elsewhere and other appointments where he actually gave me some attention. At 30 weeks pregnant I asked him about fetal movement and he demanded I go to the hospital for a NST without telling me what this test entailed or what to expect. I was released from the hospital without any explanation of what was wrong, if anything, and no follow up phone call from Mathus. He comes across as if he doesn't have time to answer "silly questions" and as if there are more important things than comforting his patients.

flag | Submitted December 6, 2013

Very rude receptionist! Can care less about patients and their concerns

flag | Submitted January 25, 2013

I was on bed rest for IUGR. Induction scheduled. Went with a foley catheter dilation, no drugs. Morning of the nurse rang to let him know we were there, he immediately ordered pitocin. I refused and he later gave me the excuse that I had a small pelvis and the baby wouldn't fit and that this process w/o drugs would lead to a c section. Uh, we were there b/c the baby was small and he had never even performed a physical exam on me (only doc in when my husband could drive me). Scare tactics to get me to take the drugs. I held firm and went though 12 hours of the dilation process overnight while he went home. Pitocin soon after. Baby in distress after 90 min.. I demanded the drug turned down and eventually off. Labored fine through the night drug free. At time to delivery he lectured nurse IN FRONT OF US for turning off pit. Was later told that, had he been there, I would have had a c section with the baby being in distress. Has his own agenda and doesn't listen to his patients.

flag | Submitted May 31, 2012

I had a great experience at Grace Womens Healthcare, especially with Dr Mathus. Throughout my entire pregnancy all of my questions and concerns were addressed entirely. During my delivery Dr Mathus made me feel so calm and at peace. I never once felt rushed or dismissed. I plan on continuing my care with Dr Mathus and recommending him to all my family and friends. It will be a sad day when he does decide to retire.

flag | Submitted October 6, 2011

I absolutely love Dr Mathus! He is very patient and thorough-spends as much time as you need and answers all your questions. I have known him for over 10 years and think he is great! Above all, he is a very kind person.

flag | Submitted September 25, 2011

I am very happy with him and his care Have been for a long time!!!

flag | Submitted July 25, 2011

I had to see Dr. Mathus a few times during my pregnancy, and he discharged me from the hospital after my delivery. I tried to avoid seeing him as much as possible. He would rush through appointments, he told me I gained too much weight during my pg (I got up to 170 lbs. but am 5'9"- I found that unnecessary), but the worst...When discharging me from the hospital, I complained of a bad sore throat. I felt I had strep and was worried about my newborn catching it as well. He looked at my throat and said it "wasn't even red" and prescribed Chloraseptic for pain. I ended up going to the dr. the next day and had strep. I know that's not his area of expertise but he could have given me a strep test. He is extremely impersonable and in my opinion, should consider retirement. Although I loved the other drs. here, I would not go back to this practice simply because of Dr. Mathus and the receptionists, who are curt and rude.

flag | Submitted December 15, 2010

Dr. Steven C. Mathus's Credentials

• Univ Auto De Guadalajara, Fac De Med, Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico (Grad. 1977)