Ratings for Dr. Richard M. Allen

This guy is horrible! I only saw him once, and he was the biggest jerk. He was rude, did not want to listen to my symptoms, and basically was hinting abortion for me. He was saying that my baby would have too many health problems since I am Diabetic, yet I am 32 weeks along with a very healthy baby boy. He didn't take time to check me out when I went (I was in first trimester when I visited). He didn't want to do an ultrasound, he only checked the heart beat for 2 seconds at most then accused me of not being pregnant since he didn't hear anything. When he was feeling on my stomach, he was pressing down way too hard to the point of it hurting. He kept making snarky and rude comments, and was very condescending. I don't understand why this man is allowed to deliver babies. He has no sympathy or compassion for his patients.

flag | Submitted January 2, 2015

I would never ever recommend Dr. Allen to anyone in my entire life. I was pregnant with my first baby and thanks to him not ordering my ultrasound on time I lost my baby at 21 weeks. He refused to give me the ultrasound telling me that there was no medical reason why to have one (at 20 weeks) and if he did my insurance would not pay for it. He told me I would have to pay over $2000 for an ultrasound and not to come back complaining about it. I scheduled my next appointment with another doctor within the same group and she order me the ultrasound right away telling me why I haven't had an ultrasound. Well it was too late, I delivered my baby before the ultrasound due to cervical insufficiency. I was dilated 4 cm open and if he would have order me the ultrasound before I would have save my baby. During the time I visited him he never measured my belly and only heard my baby's heart like for two seconds. He needs to be more emotional and show that he care about his patients. He needs to stop telling patients that ultrasound are not necesary because they are!!!

flag | Submitted December 30, 2014

Dr. Allen is the most unprofessional and unkind doctor I have ever visited. This is my first pregnancy and each time I saw him, he spoke to me condecendently and answered my questions like they were the dumbest questions he had ever heard. I discussed concerns about pains I was having and his response was "you are having a baby, it's going to hurt, this is why men don't have babies". Each time I see him he comes in, measures me, listens to the heart beat for MAYBE two beats, then says okay I want to see you in 4 weeks and leaves. He spends about 5 minutes in the office with me, doesn't ask me if I have any questions, and he rarely gives eye contact or even acts as though my health even matters... I am simply just another number- I have to rush in my questions and hope to not be judged by his conception of the questions importance. This is my first pregnancy, I am going to have a lot of questions and I would appreciate some time being taken out for you to explain the things you are measuring or if my baby's heartbeat is normal etc... At 20 weeks he did not order me an ultrasound, explaining that I am healthy so I don't need another ultrasound and to save my money for a college fund. Wow, very professional. When explaining that I thought ultrasounds were routine at 20-22 weeks he blew up at me saying that he is not ordering me one and if I want one that bad I can pay privately but it will be a waste of money....I was just concerned because everyone I knew had an anatomical ultrasound to make sure their baby was healthy and also that's when the gender was revealed. He refused to order me one though, so at my 24 week visit, the next doctor I saw was floored that I hadn't already had my anatomical ultrasound and ordered me one immediately. And one last thing too, I asked about having headaches during pregnancy and despite all research online, he says that pregnancy is never the cause of headaches and he insisted that I see a neurologist- are you kidding me? That is quite dramatic. I even explained that I don't feel comfortable about that, as my headaches were occasional. He refused to listen to me and referred me to another doctor- stating I must see them and then he will be checking in on me in 2 weeks. Needless to say, I won't be taking that advice, as I do not need medication for my occasional headaches that can be treated with over the counter acetaminophen. I am seeing another doctor next time and I pray that this man will not be delivering my baby because I will do my best to avoid him at all cost while scheduling appointments at that office. DO NOT SEE HIM- he is a horrible doctor and especially if you are pregnant for the first time, he takes away all the excitement and explains NOTHING to you. Just awful- he needs to be replaced!

flag | Submitted September 17, 2014

Dr. Allen is the best! He came in on his day off to deliver my son! He is very knowledgeable and takes his time to explain everything so that I understand. His sense of humor is an added bonus. First OBGYN I have ever liked!

flag | Submitted September 15, 2011

This doctor is very nice and very concerned. He takes time to answer all of my questions. He is very cautious which is good.

flag | Submitted August 6, 2009

Amazing doctor! He has delivered two of my children with another one coming soon. He is kind and really cares about his patients and their children. I would highly recommend him to anyone.

flag | Submitted July 23, 2009

I have been going to him for years and have been nothing but satisfied. He is always on time, and always takes time to answer any questions I have without making me feel rushed. Delivered one of my children (with complications) and I do not think I could have been in better hands. I do not know what I will do when he retires.

flag | Submitted April 21, 2009

He delivered my son and was terrible. Very unhelpful, unpleasant and just generally a terrible Dr. I would not recommend him to anyone. Screaming at a woman in labor with no epidural is a big no-no.

flag | Submitted March 11, 2009

Dr. Richard M. Allen's Credentials

• University Of Illinois At Chicago Health Science Center (Grad. 1982)

Multiplan