Ratings for Dr. Caspar Friesen

Dr. Friesen has been my GP for almost a year now. I was told he's accepting transgender patients into his practice so went to him because I'm trans, though was hesitant because I am non-binary/genderqueer and that can be a bit tricky to navigate with healthcare providers. Thankfully, he's been really fantastic - knowledgeable, safe, and open to hearing a different perspective / trans narrative. He very much follows the informed consent model. Also, I really love that he provides holistic care, from discussions about herbal medicine to yoga. I would recommend him to any transgender folks who want a well rounded, holistic physician.

flag | Submitted August 19, 2016

I have been a patient of Dr. Friesen for over 15 years now, so have been my partner and our children. I write this comment because I am so surprised anyone could not feel as respectfully and compassionately supported by him as we all did : this must be a misunderstanding. I am not a doctor to comment on his knowledge (although he has helped me quite efficiently over the years), I am a person and, thus, can speak of the exceptional support, listening, healing we have benefited from, for long years. We have all, at home, felt consistently welcome at his office (staff people, although overwhelmed with the bookings and follow-ups, are absolutely lovely and helpful) and, even more importantly, in his own office. A gentle, poised and competent man, Dr. Friesen has helped us not only with his medical knowledge/support but also with his serenity and kindness when we needed it most. I now reflect that he was with us with children's panicking illnesses, with puberty attacks, with my own weird pains, with our aging ailments... Always with a smile and with the right advice, he has, in a modest and respectful way, nudged us towards treatment, specialists' appointments, or ... better health through better life styles. I feel extremely grateful to him for this continuous support through an eventful family life. Now, he is an artist too and I cannot stop admiring his art work. What a great mind! We are lucky he is an even greater person!

flag | Submitted August 5, 2016

After seeing him weekly for increasing level of pain and being only given for answer a cocktail of pills that didn’t seem to help he accused me of being an addict trying to score painkillers. He became dismissive and abruptly diagnosed me with a very serious illness without any additional information. I had to find out what I had and how to manage it myself and when I told him I didn’t know how to cope with this illness he started browsing the Internet on his computer to find a “support group”, wasting much of the 15 minutes we had. Finding nothing he then told me he had “no time for this”. Eventually, after months of agony, I was rushed to the ER. Turns out I had an enormous ulcer and that was the cause of all my pain. When I saw him next to talk about what happened, he denied any responsibilities, saying that sometimes, those things happens with strong medication. He is also out of date with the BC procedures for transgender patient and when corrected, he dismissed them, repeating the old ones again. I could not recommend this doctor in good conscience.

flag | Submitted January 5, 2016

I inherited Dr Friesen when he took over my precious doctors practice. By the time I realized that we were not a good fit it was too late to switch to a new doctor. I have been extremely frustrated that whenever I see him I am referred to look things up on the Internet and am given little to no guidance or info for my concerns. In addition, I have felt that my ailments and concerns were not heard and dismissed quickly. I now have a newborn and am concerned with the quality of care that Dr Friesen can provide and am working hard to seek a new doctor for at least my baby, hopefully me as well!

flag | Submitted August 27, 2015

In a sentence - Dr. Friesen is a real gem and his office staff are lovely! Dr. Friesen has a wonderful bedside manner, is genuinely interested in the well being of his patients, and works very hard to help his patients manage even the most complex health problems. As mentioned below, Dr. Friesen looks at the "whole picture of your life" and will recommend both medical and natural solutions. He is skilled at writing referrals, managing medications, giving practical, easy to follow advice, and delivering difficult news in a gentle and caring fashion. To reiterate what others have said, he is also punctual, has a wealth of knowledge, provides excellent follow up, and is a good listener making patients feel that their opinion is valued. He will never rush you out the door. For those of you who are LGBTQ folks, Dr. Friesen provides a safe, accepting environment. As a transman with complex and chronic health issues, I have been immensely satisfied with the top-notch care that Dr. Friesen has provided. I feel extremely lucky to have him as my doctor!

flag | Submitted February 11, 2015

I have been a patient of Dr Friesen's for over 10 years now. I have bipolar disorder and anxiety disorder, and was diagnosed as a teenager. Dr Friesen has been with me every step of the way, getting me the referrals I need, helping manage my medication and advocating for me when I was having issues with MSP. He cares about his patients and looks at the whole picture of your life, not just what medications he can pump into you (and I say this as someone who takes medication every day - he had no problems prescribing me what I require). I can't recommend this doctor enough, and I've never once found him rude, curt, abrupt or unprofessional. Also in over 10 years I have never felt "rushed" out of an appointment or like I was being brushed off in any way. A+ for this amazing doctor!

flag | Submitted November 21, 2014

I have been a patient of Dr. Friesen's for over a decade and generally agree with the positive comments, some of the negative ones, but overall he has been acceptable -- until recently. Lately he has become unfocused and occasionally deprecating bordering on hostility. Something is not right; he's always had a high staff turnover, but lately this has accelerated, along with his watching the clock and becoming unnecessarily argumentative. This formerly acceptable doctor has clearly become recently preoccupied with stressors and is obviously burning out, sadly to the detriment of his ability to do his job.

flag | Submitted November 5, 2014

Dr. Friesen is absolutely excellent ! He listens to patient concerns, acts immediately on problems, consistently demonstrates superb follow-up and does not hesitate to refer you to a specialist if he feels this is the best route to go. His holistic approach to my health care needs has been very valuable as well as his solid educational information on each health concern. His skills and knowledge are top notch and his caring supportive manner has been of great value for my overall sense of well being .Dr. Friesen has done a lot for me and I feel so fortunate to have him as my GP.

flag | Submitted October 14, 2014

There is not a better physician that I have found that takes the time with ones concerns. He is extremely busy but yet still takes the time and effort to work with the individual. Let's face it Dr. Friesen is providing a service in a very understaffed field here in Victoria. His ability to look beyond perscription drugs and find alternative solutions to ailments is wonderful and he does think outside the box. Those that mention about Dr. Friesen's yoga breathing or organic eating suggestions should look at themselves and realize that most conditions/ailments are not, nor need, to be fixed with a drug. Take a look at your lifestyle and I think you may find help from within. I also have to mention the front staff who I think are the best and most proficient I have come across. Thank you Dr. Friesen.

flag | Submitted September 30, 2013

Dr Friesen has been my doctor for a few years now. I have chronic low back pain. He is awesome. I think he is the best doctor I have ever seen in my lifetime. He is punctual, kind, very smart and is always willing to explore options. He is encouraging and is a very good listener. I cannot speak highly enough of this man. I think that some of the negative reviews here are from some people who expect to be "fixed" in a single visit and who are expecting a Dr. Patch Adams. Dr Friesen is professional and encourages new ideas. He is ALWAYS on time too, and never rushes a patient out. In a word, he is brilliant.

flag | Submitted October 6, 2011