Ratings for Dr. Mark W. Hanna

Dr. Hanna is undoubtedly the best orthopedic doctor in Atlanta!

flag | Submitted March 28, 2017

Best doctor I have seen in years. I highly recommend Dr Hanna.

flag | Submitted January 10, 2017

Dr Hanna and his staff were amazing and made my knee replacement to surgery experience a positive one.

flag | Submitted December 5, 2016

Dr, Hanna did my total hip replacement 3 months ago. Prior to scheduling an Appointment with Dr. Hanna I had been to a different Orthopedic Surgeon, who I liked, but he only did the posterior approach hip replacement. I am so glad I went to see Dr. Hanna and had the Anterior Approach hip replacement. He answered all my questions, called me the night before the surgery to say hello and check on me. He came to see me in the room before they put me under for the surgery. The staff at St. Josephs was GREAT. I would highly recommend traveling to have Dr. Hanna do your hip replacement, even if you have to wait for an appointment. Here a summary of my recovery (your results may vary). Day 1 I had the surgery at 7:30am, by 11:30am I was awake and in my room. Nurses were very attentive, around noon I could feel my legs a bit, and around 12:30 I was up for my first walk around the floor. Yes, about 3 hours post-op I was walking with a walker. After a nice lunch, and a couple more visits from the nurse I went on my second walk. By 2pm I was up and going to the bathroom without any assistance, and then went on a walk and up and down the stairs. Around 2:30 +- Dr. Hanna came in to see me and check on how I was doing. Looked at my chart and the progress I had made and said I could go home since I was able to walk, do stairs. By 6pm I was all checked out and leaving the hospital. Yes, I was at the hospital a total of about 12 hours. How on to recovery at home - Day 1 when I got home I went on a short walk up and back the driveway. Leg not hurting at all, skin very numb, went up the stairs by myself and slept all night. Took a little while to get comfortable. Day 2 - Coffee, and took a walk up and back the driveway (about 800 ft). Enjoyed sitting in the recliner, tried to keep ice on the incision area 4 to 5 hours of the day. Ice helped alot with the swelling, Skin still very numb and feels rubbery. Physical Therapy came to the house, checked incision, range of motion, etc. Doing good. Another 2 walks on Day 2 in the afternoon. I took some if the pain medicine out of caution, was not in pain. Day 3 seemed to be a bit tougher, feeling the incision pain not to bad about a 3 on the 1-10 scale. did the Exercises, iced the leg, went on 2 walks. Up and down the stairs a couple times on day 3. By the end of the day was tired and not feeling as good as day 1. Day 4 things alot better. pain way down, just on tylenol now. Went for 2 walks, feel very good. Went out and mowed part of the lawn (walk behind self propelled mower). More ice on the leg. May have overdone it a bit on day 4! Day 5 leg is sore today, still only Tylenol, Ice, elevation. PT came and checked on me. Was lounging in the hammock outside. Checked range of motion, incision. No need for him to come back any more. Already ahead of the curve on recovery and range of motion, strength. Day 6 thru 14 - could have started back to the office, but worked from home because it was more comfortable to sit with leg elevated. After 2 weeks was back at work, leg feels good no pain at all. Sitting in my desk chair was not very comfortable. I swapped chairs and found one that did not put as much pressure on the back on my leg which made it uncomfortable to sit for long. Week 3 - 6 - better than ever! no problem working all day, sitting for a hour or two. Sitting for 2 hours seems to be limit right now. Follow up Dr. Visit was at 6 weeks. X-rays, check incision, range of motion, etc. Dr. Hanna commented that my recovery was more rapid than others. Most likely because I pushed myself to walk, be active right away. My scheduled trip to Alaska was good motivation for me to be fully recovered quickly. Next visit is in 1 year! Week 8 went to Alaska for 2 1/2 weeks. Hiking, camping, rafting... Lots of physical activity. Leg did not bother me. If you need a hip replacement, I would highly recommend Dr. Hanna and St. Josephs Hospital!

flag | Submitted August 27, 2014

Dr. Hanna provided me hip replacement in 2011 and knee replacement Dec 2012 - both very successful - highly recommend based on his surgical skill and patient attention of both Dr. Hanna and his staff. Could barely walk before seeing Dr. Hanna and in extreme pain with every step - am now pain free, walking and no limitation to anything I want to do, have full flexibility. Dr. Hanna effectively diagnoses the problem, provides alternatives to surgery when condition warrants. Has a great network for post surgery physical therapy at home to help ensure successful outcome. Highly skilled surgeon; gives you the knowledge to invest in your own recovery - best I've felt in 10 years.

flag | Submitted April 21, 2013

I was given a recommendation to Dr. Hanna by a friend. I was delighted that he did Anterior Hip Replacements. If you don't know what it is, don't do a Hip Replacement until you look it up. I had two hips done in a period of 4 months and I couldn't be happier. The staff is friendly and caring and totally professional.

flag | Submitted March 22, 2013

Had 2 total knee replacements by Dr Hanna, one Dec 2, 2009, and the other April 20, 2010. Had no issues with the surgery. Little swelling, rapid range of motion recovery on both knees. Dr Hanna did a magnificant job, especially with the 2nd one, where I was let out of the hospital (St Joseph's) a day early, and did not have to use a walker, and used a cane only for 3 days. No infections, no issues. Would highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted August 2, 2010

Dr. Mark Hanna is uniquely competent AND personable. I appreciated the Dr's straightforwardness and apparent concern for the patient. Rufus Disney

flag | Submitted April 22, 2009

I had a very complicated hip replacement and Dr. Hanna did it with complete skill and kept me alive. I am now walking again.

flag | Submitted March 15, 2009

Dr. Hanna is straightforward, gives good explanations, professional but manages to exhibit an extremely caring attitude. Competent and good credentials.

flag | Submitted July 30, 2008

Dr. Mark W. Hanna's Credentials

• Columbia University College Of Physicians And Surgeons (Grad. 1999)

MSP/BC Med