Ratings for Dr. Jacques Sylvain

I saw Dr Sylvain for my first pregnancy in 2012 & I really liked him ! Hoping to go back this time around too, he was nice, knowledgeable, & was the one who finally got me to stop smoking (I had cut down a lot but found it hard to cut out my last 3-4 cigarettes a day & I hated that I was smoking while pregnant) He was scarily accurate with his predictions of when I would have my son & how much he would weigh (he was right on the money!) He also reminded me of sort of a sweet old grandpa-type--I found he looked exactly like santa claus but with a shorter beard! :) I had a very good experience with him & his receptionist Bunny as well, looking forward to hopefully seeing them again soon!

flag | Submitted June 5, 2015

Was my OB with my 1st born, very quiet and not approachable. Had a healthy pregnancy so thank god I did not need him so much, but was shocked to find that my chart was mixed with another high risk patient of his . He did not perform my c -sec as he was not on call at the time.

flag | Submitted March 16, 2015

I saw this guy 4 years ago, he was horribly rude and made me feel horrible. I was overweight and pregnant, he told me to go on a diet, that my risk of still birth was high because i was overweight. I saw him a month or so later and he was nice, bi-polar?

flag | Submitted January 22, 2014

As a Mom, please ensure not to simply trust any doctor. Please educate yourself thoroughly to avoid the sad results that can happen from preventable birth trauma. An injury from overuse of Suction Delivery can result in a lifetime of pain for your child. This man used aggressive suction delivery on my baby. She suffered a miserable childhood as a direct result of unremitting pain. The proof still exists on the crown of her head - a terrible scar. Her MD and neurologists believe the nerve damage to her neck was caused by the careless delivery. One doctor compared the force of her suction delivery to putting a toilet plunger on a baby's head and pulling - can you imagine the damage. My child will live her life in pain and partial disability. This didn't have to happen.

flag | Submitted September 14, 2012

I went to Dr Sylvain for my 2nd pregnancy (I have a son, born in Toronto, and following complications during that pregnancy & delivery was told to seek a high risk OBGYN). I found Dr Sylvain skipped a lot of the steps most OBs take; he never tested my Beta HCG levels, or did any bloodwork whatsoever. When I experienced bleeding (more than spotting) he dismissed my concerns, seemed irritated that I asked questions, said "this is a good pregnancy" and walked out of the room. Well, I ended up having a missed miscarriage. The hospital that performed the D&C said to go back to him for a post-op follow-up. But Dr Sylvain refused since "he only sees pregnant patients". When I asked his assistant Bunny if he could recommend a Gynecologist, she said no. I finally found a specialist in Montreal on my own who uncovered my body doesn't produce certain hormones during pregnancy. I need progesterone & other supps to avoid another loss. Too bad Dr Sylvain didn't find this out earlier!

flag | Submitted May 1, 2012

He was on time, and he started out very nice and kind. But when we had some questions and concerns he got rude and completely insensitive. I'm having twins, after a reduction from triplets. The nurse, when reading the results of the ultrasound, accidentally started reading to us about the reduced baby (she stopped right away). When we saw the doctor and we asked if the report could have a warning about 'baby b' having been reduced he didn't take it seriously, in fact he proceeded to refer 3 times to "the dead baby inside me." I couldn't believe how insensitive he was. Also we had been offered screening via blood test but he said it wouldn't work for us due to twins and reduction. He didn't offer any alternative, didn't even order a detailed ultrasound for our next scan which will be at the right time for the usual detailed scan. Finally he didn't seem to take seriously our concern about length of cervix (nurse said it's just barely acceptable).

flag | Submitted January 8, 2012

Dr. Sylvain was my OB doctor for my high-risk pregnancy with my twins in 2010. He was EXCELLENT. Very knowledgeable and he knew what to keep an eye on for the best possible outcome for me and my twins. He caught a life-threatening condition that had developed in utero and he delivered my twins at 36 weeks - healthy and crying strongly (which is what we wanted). He is a kind and caring doctor, everything you want during a high-risk pregnancy.

flag | Submitted November 18, 2011

AMAZING Doctor, especially for High Risk pregnancie's, he's kind, gentle and extremely knowledgable, he know's his profession and he ensures that ALL TESTs that are needed are done. His staff (wife/Bunny) is always so pleasant and very helpful. I recommend Doctor Sylvain for ALL pregnant women who wants a doctor that will care!!

flag | Submitted October 17, 2011

My daughter was delivered 20 years ago after a 12 hour induced labor. Her score was 8-9. He was going on vacation. He induced me early. Never came to see me during labor. My daughter was delivered by suction (vacuum extraction). She has suffered since the day she was born. At the age of 6 she was diagnosed with daily migraine with aura and a-typical shoulder muscles/pain. Her doctor has told me that her condition was most likely caused by birth trauma (suction delivery). She will be in pain for the rest of her life and most likely disabled. I didn't understand about suction delivery before and he didn't inform us. PLEASE ensure that your baby is NOT delivered by suction (vacuum extraction). This was in 1990 before I had access to the internet - but Dr. Sylvain knew and could have let me push a bit longer. Cannot prove negligence, but after 3 MRI's, 3 neurologists and her constant suffering, I finally know. Even worse disabilities can occur. Don't trust him.

flag | Submitted September 11, 2010

wonderful man. calm in times of crisis; just the kind of doctor you would want at your delivery! experienced and empathetic.very caring and thorough. his office usually runs on time and the wait is never more than 30 min!

flag | Submitted March 25, 2009