Ratings for Dr. Valrie M. Honablue

dr. Honablue was downright mean to me during a period when I so desperately needed treatment and help. She was perfunctory, condescending and enjoyed being arrogant and uninvolved with me when I needed emotional support. Incidentally I am a very strong person but went through a series of deaths losing a child and I was in a very vulnerable state. That was 7 years ago and to this day I have not gotten over her horrible treatment to me. Just happened to think about it and went online to read these reviews and was shocked to know there are so many other people out there they have been mistreated. Something has got to be done about this non-professional attitude and environment. Luckily I was able to stand strong in my faith and move on but I can imagine others who are not as strong as I am having a very hard time. This is a dangerous and mean situation. I remember several times leaving the office and tears but I needed to continue to go so that I could maintain time off from work as I was falling apart and not eating. And I didn't have the strength to find another doctor. She was referred by my internist who later apologized to me for recommending her to me.

flag | Submitted July 7, 2017

I went to the ER with my mentality ill father on 12/18/14 due to his severe depression and threatening behavior for the first time in 8 years. I had proof of his mental illness, his doctor referred us and my father admitted he was going to hurt me if they didn't admit him. I was told "he doesn't show signs of a mental illness", "for 1000 a day I won't admit him for what I THINK is a family dispute and you should call the police", "you just want a break from him for the holidays". When Dr. Honablue came into the family waiting room she would not sit down and talk to me professionally, she stood up was giving me her personal opinion on my dads depression based on her being a parent and accusing me (whomever prior to this she never spoke to before) of only wanting to get rid of my father; whom hasn't been in a hospital in almost 8 years and I've been taking care of since then. She was trying to intimidate me from the start, she was rude and unprofessional. She refused to put in writing why she was releasing my father. As his legal guardian I refused to sign the discharge papers and she had him placed in the lobby to go. Avoid her, she is a disgrace to the medical field. Go to Oakwood Heritage with your mentality ill situations they are more professional and people oriented.

flag | Submitted December 19, 2014

I visited Dr. Honablue's office only once, and once was enough. I had run out of medication due to a gap in my insurance coverage, and I was feeling absolutely terrible. The only reason I was there was to get prescriptions for the meds I had been on before my previous insurance coverage ended. I waited TWO hours to see her, which I believe is totally unacceptable. Every other psychiatrist or psychologist I had visited before never made me wait more than five or ten minutes. I felt that I was treated like cattle, and the doctor (who was not very personable) spent fewer than 10 minutes speaking to me before giving me my Rx. On one hand this was all I personally needed, since I had been on these same meds for a long time and know they work great for me. On the other hand, if a client was still seeking the right meds, it is hard to believe that he or she would be given proper attention, as every client there waited hours to only then be seen for a few minutes.

flag | Submitted January 31, 2009

Dr. Valrie M. Honablue's Credentials

• Meharry Medical College School Of Medicine (Grad. 1977)

Amerigroup