Ratings for Dr. Charles Bernstein

My brother was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis about a year ago. Seems like it took forever and him loosing almost all his blood to a point where he is severely anemic, has to stay home and cannot even go to the gym anymore. He is now only 19yrs old and no young person should have to endure this and be stuck indoors due to constant bowel movements severe diarrhoea and bleeding. Doctor just put him on steroid meds which gave him severe side effects and increasing this steroid would only do more damage to his body/liver. So he stopped taking it and did Alot of research on his own with my mom's help. The other gastroenteritis told him that steroids will not help with this and they had better methods to heal ppl with colitis. He ditched HSC doctors and went to St. Boniface where they did things immediately. No more waiting months which can seem Alot longer to someone suffering. They infused him with iron and started Renegade and some more advanced anti-inflammatory meds which don't damage the liver. After only few days bleeding stopped and remegade infusion for 4 hrs stopped further damage to his colon. It's so important to seek other Dr opinion early on because seeing the wrong doctor could literally send someone to their grave. Having someone on higher doses on meds and not regulating it and keeping close eye on patients reaction to certain old ways znd methods of healing colitis can agrivate the disease very quickly and sometimes irreparable effects.there are newer methods used now in healing this disease and sometimes sending a patient into remission for good without flare ups. We had to fight to get this remegade infusion covered, but the doc at St. Boniface and the nurse helped to get it complatelet covered. It's a miracle drug for ppl with severe ulcerative colitis and crohns disease. Why don't these docs at hsc use it. It helped to save my brothers life. Others have gone into remission for years or as long as they received this infusion a couple times a year for maintenance after first 2-3 infusions. I wish more doctors would give better care and not prescribe these nonsense meds that don't help and forget to lower the dosage further damaging a patients healt and quality of life with severe side effects. These days it seems if you cannot fight for receiving better health care or educate yourself and tell doctors what you need your almost out of luck in getting good better. Or listen to barbaric ways of certain doctors telling you only way is to remove your colon ect..without looking into better options.....I would say this doctor is really bad with following up with his patients and im not sure if he even cares. Please seek second opinions ALWAYS..

flag | Submitted July 19, 2016

My brother was a patient of Dr. B and had been for years. He had heard that he was one of the best in his field, so he stayed with him and endured the excruciating(to the point of passing out), medicati on less scopes yearly. In 2008 or early 2009 he was told about a surgery he could have and how well it was working for those people who had it done. He went to see that surgeon and received the news that he would do the surgery but needed the okay from Dr. B to perform the surgery. No follow up was given to the surgeon as far as we knew. My brother went to Dr. B about it and was convinced to try this new medication first that it may slow the frequency of bowel movements per day. Trusting in Dr. B. He took the medication. Then in November 2011 after being admitted to the hospital for tests because he could now longer bend over to tie his shoes, Dr. B walk into his room while he was alone and coldly told him that he had stage 4 cancer and that an oncologist will be in to see him and walked out. Being one of the best in his field of practice...... 1. Why did my brother not receive all options of treatment available to him? Stats,potential out comes? 2. When given new meds, no signs of cancer appeared prior to his stage 4 diagnosis? 3. Why would ANY Doctor inform a patient such horrible news when they are alone? My brother passed away 3 months later . My brother never wanted his family to fight this, he accepted his responsibility in getting to this point physically and kept his perspective through his faith. He wanted us not to take any diagnosis we are given as truth but to research, get a 2,3,4th opinions , to shout,jump and make a fuss until a doctor is willing to listen and help. Would I ever refer anyone to Dr. B., probably not. I just believe that there are some serious questions and concerns about his practices that makes me wonder about his top Doctor status.

flag | Submitted July 5, 2016

A very great doctor. Although you may have a log wait in the waiting room, it is worth it to see Dr. Bernstein. He has lots of paitents which can be more severe than your case. He told me word for word 'It may feel like i am rushing to get through you but i see alot of paitents in the day. If you are healthy and your disease is under control for the time being, i wont spend much time with you. If you are having a bad flare and symptoms, know that you will get my time and we will get you back on your feet." I just moved from Childrens Hospital to Health Sciences and I was scared to see him for the first time because of the terrible reviews i read on here, but i have not yet had a bad experience with him, infact i've only experienced his caring, soft side. He has scoped me once and he made it an easy process, he explained everything to me before he started. His nursing staff is also really great, they have returned my calls quickly.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2016

Although Dr Bernstein appeared to be knowledgeable, I spent three hours in the office. I spoke with his ignorant Fellow first, and through snap judgments they both quickly dismissed my concerns. Also, the Fellow seemed to enjoy trying to disprove my symptoms. I left in tears...totally discouraged and upset. I wish that there was an ounce of understanding from the two of them...if only they suffered with the pain, fevers, chills, bleeding, diarrhea, fistulas, joint pain, fatigue...maybe then they, as specialists would attempt to actually help instead of being dismissive and ignorant. Perhaps his Fellow should quickly adjust his shitty attitude before he goes into practice for himself...I personally wouldn't go to him again! Maybe they both could use some Cognitive Behavioral Therapy!

flag | Submitted February 11, 2016

Yes that bit about drugs sounds about right especially the teens that took Accutane for acne and ended up with crohns

flag | Submitted January 31, 2016

I have been a patient of Dr Bernstein's for years and I trust his medical opinion. Not sure where all the "arrogant" and "distant" reviews come from. He has always been smiling, joking and yet professional when I've seen him, especially when doing scopes. The wait in the waiting room is always long but if you have questions he will take the time to answer them and reassure you.

flag | Submitted July 8, 2015

Worst doctor I have EVER dealt with. I will NEVER see him again.

Submitted January 1, 2015

I would have died if I had listened to Bernstein and not gotten a second opinion. He did not take my concerns seriously and did not listen to me. He also was incredibly arrogant and rude. He would not even look at me when I spoke to him. I could have bled to death and nearly needed a blood transfusion by the time I saw a different dr. Thank god I listened to my body and not to him. He diagnosed me as having internal hemorrhoids. I actually had severe ulcerative colitis and nearly died!

flag | Submitted October 25, 2013

Dr. B can come off as a tad distant but he is quite nice overall and is incredibly knowledgeable. I would rather have an arrogant or distant doctor than an incompetent one. He takes the time to listen to how I'm feeling and gives me an idea on what could possibly be going on without worrying me. If a medication doesn't work effectively for then he is perfectly willing to search for other alternatives. (I went through 2 varieties of anti-diarrheal medicine before finding one that worked). I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted November 3, 2011

Although I appreciate that he was the GI to finally diagnose my crohn's, I definitely feel more like a research subject to him than a patient. After trying me on numerous meds that just made me sicker, and being sent to see his useless and ****y resident instead of him 3 times when I kept having problems, I ended up in the ER needing an emergency resection. My surgeon was convinced that had he and his staff been more attentive, my problem would have been dealt with months earlier. I will keep seeing him, but from now on will pester him and his staff to no end to make sure they don't lose any more paper work and test forms. He loses interest in you as soon as you're not on one of his drug trials. Watch out for yourself!

Submitted November 28, 2008