Ratings for Dr. Mark E. Dawley

During a check-up relating to my two front teeth Dr. Dawley indicated that there were cavities in the teeth and that he recommended that I have a root canal and caps on both teeth. When I expressed some skepticism regarding a root canal he indicated that while that might not be necessary the teeth definitely needed to be capped. He then gave me an estimate for the dental work in the neighborhood of $2,000, although I don't remember the exact figure. As I was skeptical of both the diagnosis and price, I took the X-rays to my previous (deceased) dentist's brother, also a dentist. He indicated that the teeth only had very shallow cavities and needed some superficial work to repair chips (he gave no indication that there was any need whatsoever for a root canal or caps). He performed the fillings without a shot for pain as they were so shallow, for a nominal fee. In short, it appears clear that there was an attempt to sell me expensive dental work that was in no way necessary.

flag | Submitted February 25, 2010