Ratings for Dr. Richard Rival

I found, and chose, Dr. Rival because of the reviews on various sites and I just wanted to add to the list of great reviews. My general philosophy is that I care more about extraordinary skill than bedside manner, but with Dr. Rival you get both. He listens to your concerns and gracefully and compassionately explains his thoughts - pros, cons, and of course things you couldn't possibly have thought of because you don't have the expertise of someone who does this everyday. He is wickedly smart and his excellent surgical skills mean better outcomes, including a faster and smoother recovery -- and this was definitely true for me. I am so amazed at the difference - very subtle and balanced and --- beautiful. I never would have said that about myself before because of my unfortunate and oversized Jewish nose. I hate to admit it but it boosts my confidence remarkably and that goes a very long way in interactions with other people. Elective surgery can be scary and unreal and you need to know you are in good hands. I was 100% confident that he would do the best he could possibly do. And he did. And I'm so happy.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2016

I had rhinoplasty done with Dr Rival in late 2015 and I'm pleased with my results! Since I was an adolescent, I recall being unhappy with my nose and I used to research the best Toronto surgeons for rhinoplasty. I had the support from my parents to undergo the procedure but I was worried about the results and more importantly, I felt embarrassed and ashamed to face people after at school and/or work. I was worried about what people would think or say if I looked drastically different. About 6 years ago, I went for a consultation with Dr Rival. Still unsure, I put it off and saw another surgeon 1.5 years later for another consultation. My heart and mind weren't set on the surgery until Spring 2015 when I decided to just go forward with it! I booked an appointment with Dr Rival in late spring of 2015 and had my surgery done 4.5 months later. Ultimately, I decided to go with Rival because when I would research different DRs, I kept going back to him based on reviews and his before and after photos. My nose was wide with a bulbous tip. My nose is now notably more narrow and the tip is more defined. My advice to anyone having this procedure is that patience is key!! Results are not immediate and it can take up to a year to see final results (sometimes even longer)! That's why it's said to be an emotional process. I did not mentally prepare myself for this even though I read tons of reviews where people reiterated the same thing. In my case especially and for anyone who is having cartilage removed and the tip of their nose refined, note that this will take longer for final results as the procedure induces a lot of swelling. The tip of the nose will look swollen and feel very hard for weeks to months after. Whereas if you're having a dorsal hump shaved down, the results are immediate from when the cast comes off. In terms of pain, I experienced very little post op. It was just very uncomfortable for the first week or two. It's difficult to sleep and breathe for the first couple of weeks but the discomfort goes away soon enough. I had the 'open' procedure done and my scars aren't even visible which I'm happy about. My parents even compliment the work done and tell me how 'cute' my nose looks now. I gained more confidence after having the procedure. I find I photograph better and I'm not so focused how predominant my nose looks. I'm now 1+ year post op and I'm pleased with the results! Although I would have liked the tip of my nose to be slightly more narrow and a bit smaller, I can't complain! I had thick skin to begin with which is more difficult to work with. And when I compare photos of my 'old' nose, you can see a notable difference. I've seen others who've had nose jobs done by other Toronto surgeons, and I find their nose to be overdone and it's obvious they had work done. My nose looks natural & if I don't point out to people that I had the procedure, they can't tell.

flag | Submitted January 20, 2017

test .................................................

flag | Submitted January 10, 2017

Hello from Ottawa. I've met with Dr. Rival several times over the past few years, I'd get confident in my choice to have septorhinoplasty done, go through the consultation processes, then back out due to fear. With saying that, I've clearly met with him in person, as well as speaking over the phone and email, many many times, and each and every time I've had a positive experience. I met with him again a few days ago, and finally committed to surgery. I've had a deviated septum since birth, as well as a bulbous tip that hooks, dorsal hump and a collapsed nostril, it's slightly over projected as well . I've never deviated from my choice of having Dr. Rival as my surgeon, I've actually researched other surgeons throughout the years just for comparison reasons, and I never liked anyone's aesthetic as much as I appreciated Dr. Rivals. I think you can see many great results, while appreciating them for being great, it still may not be the aesthetic that's right for you. I found using terminology that HE may use was a good approach also, I'd say, "what do you call this, or what does this appear like." I feel by doing this, you're reviewing the same things, and requesting something that he understands. I like a more pointed nose, but what that means to me, may mean something else to him, so I essentially just showed him what I considered "pointy" and explained that's my preference. Anyway, my surgery is booked for February 15th, I'm nervous, but I've had zero reservations with my choice of surgeon, if that helps any of you. I'm a 30 year old woman who's researched for many, many years, so this wasn't a decision I took lightly. I shall update again within a few months time.

flag | Submitted December 30, 2016

I am extremely satisfied with the results of my blepharoplasty (upper and lower) performed by Dr. Rival. He is very professional, courteous, caring and conscientious. I would not hesitate to see him again for further procedures if needed!

flag | Submitted December 27, 2016

I had my revision rhinoplasty on December 15th. I have never actually gone through the effort to write a review on anything, but I had to after this experience. Dr Rival is an amazing surgeon!!!!! He is a true artist. This was my third surgery on my nose, and I wish I had gone to him the first time. I had my first surgery with Dr. Madronich, who I DO NOT recommend for rhinoplasty. I did years of research for my revision rhinoplasty. I would spend hours and hours reading reviews on all kinds of doctors, and even contemplated travelling to Iran. Thank God I found Dr Rival! Price was reasonable and the outcome was well worth it. I have been waiting 10 years to do this, and I'm so glad I did. I know how important reviews are, and I think Dr Rival deserves this one! Don't hesitate! Book the consultation if this is something that has been on your mind!!

flag | Submitted December 22, 2016

Had my nose done about a year ago and love it! He is incredibly nice and patient...and he's cute. I'm glad I decided on Dr.Rival. From the consultation to the follow up visits everything was great.

flag | Submitted November 16, 2016

Overall he was okay but I don't think he gave me natural nose. Not sure.

flag | Submitted September 21, 2016

It's been 2 years post op. Overall I am happy with the result. The swelling still fluctuates, when the temperature is cold, I have the most definition in my nose. Worst thing for the first week post op was sleeping at night with a dry mouth. Other than that, pain was zero to minimal. Do not expect lots of time with Dr. Rival pre-op or post-op, very quick in and out, so bring in photos of what you're looking for and a list of changes and things you'd like to remain the same. He did exactly what I asked for, so he did take my 'list' into consideration during the rhinoplasty. I lived in Ottawa at the time, so it made it hard to go just for a super quick pre-op and post op appointments, but it is worth going to someone that has positive reviews and specializes in rhinoplastys. Also, despite the distance when I did have a post op complication, he was able to fix it within 5 mins during the same appointment. I had developed an adhesion, which is two pieces of tissue fusing together during the healing process i.e my lateral nare fused to my septum, which makes it harder to breathe through your nose. He put some local anesthetic and scalpeled them free. To PREVENT this from happening make sure you're using your saline nasal mist twice a day for 3 months or more. It also helps prevent infection while keeping the tissues moist so they don't start to fuse. No one out of my friends or family noticed a difference except for my grandpa, who has early dementia and forgets a lot of details of my life, so that was surprising. But no one else noticed anything, unless they just haven't told me, not sure, but doubtful. Hope this helps :)

flag | Submitted September 20, 2016

This comment will open with a positive review of Dr. Rival’s surgical skill: I am pleased with the result, ten weeks past my septorhinoplasty. Where the office and quite possibly Dr. Rival are showing poor form, is during my post operative follow up. Three days following cast removal, I began showing the clear signs of infection. Emailing the office with photos, I grew impatient waiting for a response, so off I went to the emergency room. Where, it was discovered, the source of my troubles was a stitch left in. And, no, it wasn’t a dissolvable stitch, but one that was missed by the RN working at the Newmarket office that did a hasty job coaching and stitch cutting. At the eight week point I opted to send photos as opposed to travelling back to Toronto. Surprisingly, I never heard back from the office. Upon calling the office, Alicia seemed annoyed with my query and simply stated that Dr. Rival had the photos, and he’d be in touch. That was two weeks ago. This surgery was my first foray into private healthcare delivery. When I speak with friends and colleagues regarding their plastic surgery experiences, all say that their surgeons availed themselves promptly to their patients post operative care. Not so in my case. Having said all this, I will assert that: medical professionals are people too, with lives that have challenges. However, I hope that the office has the professionalism and etiquette to express that their employer cannot respond in a timely fashion. I am happy with my nose, but at the end of the day, I’m not basking in the glow of post operative care and follow up.

flag | Submitted September 12, 2016

Dr. Richard Rival's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Richard Rival graduated with honors from the University of Toronto Medical School in 1989. He went on to complete a 6-year surgical training program in Otolaryngology (Head and Neck Surgery) at the University of California in Los Angeles and the University of Toronto. Today, Dr. Richard Rival is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and a double board-certified facial plastic surgeon serving patients from two conveniently located offices in Toronto and one in Newmarket, ON. Specializing in cosmetic surgery for the face and neck, Dr. Rival is an expert in popular surgical procedures including rhinoplasty, face lift, eyelid surgery, ear surgery, and brow lift. He also offers non-surgical treatments like Botox Cosmetic and dermal fillers. Please visit Dr. Rival’s website for more information and to schedule a consultation!

• English

• University of Toronto (Grad. 1989)

• Rhinoplasty