Dr. Richard Rival

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Richard Rival

I found, and chose, Dr. Rival because of the reviews on various sites and I just wanted to add to the list of great reviews. My general philosophy is that I care more about extraordinary skill than bedside manner, but with Dr. Rival you get both. He listens to your concerns and gracefully and compassionately explains his thoughts - pros, cons, and of course things you couldn't possibly have thought of because you don't have the expertise of someone who does this everyday. He is wickedly smart and his excellent surgical skills mean better outcomes, including a faster and smoother recovery -- and this was definitely true for me. I am so amazed at the difference - very subtle and balanced and --- beautiful. I never would have said that about myself before because of my unfortunate and oversized Jewish nose. I hate to admit it but it boosts my confidence remarkably and that goes a very long way in interactions with other people. Elective surgery can be scary and unreal and you need to know you are in good hands. I was 100% confident that he would do the best he could possibly do. And he did. And I'm so happy.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2016

Dr. Rival did my nose job 7 years ago and I can honestly say i have not once regretted my choice. I didn’t have a terrible nose to begin with but he made it perfect! I am frequently randomly complimented on how cute my nose is. He made it just right for my face. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him. In fact, I really ought to send a gift basket to his office because it was really a great experience for me. Of course i was nervous, elective surgery is scary but the procedure was fine. The healing - I barely remember. I know i was out and about sooner than expected. And now, 7 years later, seeing my cute little nose in the mirror continues to make me happy. Thank you so much Dr. Rival .

flag | Submitted January 8, 2018

I made a consultation appointment after speaking with staff, booked an appointment only because I asked if the doctor had performed face lifts - after consulting his website and his staff, booking the consult, travelling from another city only to have this doctor tell my husband that he has only performed a handful of face lifts and he mostly does nose jobs. Website misinforms people and the office staff are not helpful at all. Sad.

flag | Submitted December 21, 2017

I had my septorhinoplastu in 2015 with Dr Rival. Now I look way better...breath Normally..and am very thankful and glad I made the decision to see Dr Rival. The staff was good ...but some communication skills could be improved. Great Doctor overall...probably one of the Bests!

flag | Submitted December 5, 2017

I saw Dr. Rival for a consultation many years ago for rhinoplasty and a deviated septum. We didn't do the surgery at the time, so i decided to consult with him again to see if surgery was warranted. I called his office to make an appointment and spoke with "Deanna or Deena" who is one of the most unprofessional, rude, and unhelpful people I have ever encountered on the phone. She basically accused me of lying when I told her that I had consulted with Dr. Rival as an ENT in a hospital setting flatly saying "Dr. Rival does not work at St. Mikes hospital" after I told her I had seen him there, then told me that because my issue was "medical" and not cosmetic I had to wait "with the other 800 people" that had medical referrals when I asked for his availability. Only when i insisted that I had seen him in a hospital did she offer to get my chart, and when she obviously saw that I had been telling the truth, changed her tune and said "well it was not him who did the rest, it was a technician" when he was the attending doctor, and was there the whole time. She then hung up the phone on me when I asked to speak to someone else. Completely and utterly unprofessional person, and terrible attitude! Dr. Rival is great himself; Patient, polite, and professional but I have no idea how this Deanna person works for him. As rude as they get!

flag | Submitted November 17, 2017

I recently had a jowl and neck lift. Elective surgery is nerve racking. Once I decided to go ahead with this surgery, I had to turn over control to a Doctor that I trust, is experienced, double board certified and Chief in his specialty at his attending hospital. Some doctors will sell beauty in trying to sell their services, thats not Dr Rival. He is humble, wicked smart, and compassionate. When your confident at what you do, you don't need to convince people. ALWAYS got back to my emails, and I sent him a lot, with many questions.. I never had to wait long for his response. Very happy patient.

flag | Submitted November 14, 2017

I had a revision septorhinoplasty with Dr Richard Rival in may. I can't explain how happy I am that I chose Dr Rival. He's genuine and kind, he won't overpromise unrealistic results. For anyone considering rhino or revision rhino I urge you to trust him. I can totally relate to how scary choosing the right doctor can be, I wanted to write this review only to alleviate some anxiety for anyone who has selected Rival as there doctor or who is thinking about going to him. First off my results were natural and subtle but wonderful. THE SWELLING epidemic is real people!! I know how frustrating it can be to not see instant results but I tried not to fixate and after about three four months (just like dr rival has said) the swelling went down and my nose took shape to a beautiful refined nose. I had a collapse on one side and he fixed it, my breathing is tenfold better and he straightened my nose which is perfectly symmetrical to my face now. I know how scary surgery can be and even afterwards the results are not instant. Every follow up appointment Rival was on time, attentive and caring. I would wish for anyone who needs nose surgery to go see rival. If I could rate him higher I would. Casey B

flag | Submitted September 16, 2017

Dr. Rival is an excellent choice for rhinoplasty - you will not be disappointed. He is a very skilled and knowledgeable doctor, and also has a kind and genuine demeanour. I felt very safe and in the right hands with him - he seemed to fully understand my concerns and what I wanted to achieve. He did everything I asked - gave me a smaller version of my nose, narrowed the bridge, smoothed down bumps on either side of the bridge, and reduced a bulbous tip while still maintaining a round tip as I still wanted to look like myself. His secretary Alicia was always friendly, accommodating and easy to reach; and even Dr. Rival himself replied to my emails very promptly. At 7 weeks post op I am still a bit swollen in the tip and adjusting to my new look but I am very appreciative of what Dr. Rival has done for me. At 38 years old I only wish I'd done it sooner! Thank you, Dr. Rival!

flag | Submitted August 24, 2017

Unfortunately I will not know. I tried booking an apt today with Dr, Rival and his secretary was very standoffish. I am flying in from overseas and was hoping to be accomodated in terms of booking a consult during my trip to Toronto. I even asked if she could put me on a waiting list and she insisted that they don't have a cancellation list... I wont bother trying to book a consultation again.

flag | Submitted August 21, 2017

I trust him, hes a great doctor. Very professional and kind. I would refer him to all my friends and family.

flag | Submitted July 19, 2017

Dr. Richard Rival's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Richard Rival graduated with honors from the University of Toronto Medical School in 1989. He went on to complete a 6-year surgical training program in Otolaryngology (Head and Neck Surgery) at the University of California in Los Angeles and the University of Toronto. Today, Dr. Richard Rival is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and a double board-certified facial plastic surgeon serving patients from two conveniently located offices in Toronto and one in Newmarket, ON. Specializing in cosmetic surgery for the face and neck, Dr. Rival is an expert in popular surgical procedures including rhinoplasty, face lift, eyelid surgery, ear surgery, and brow lift. He also offers non-surgical treatments like Botox Cosmetic and dermal fillers. Please visit Dr. Rival’s website for more information and to schedule a consultation!

• English

• University of Toronto (Grad. 1989)

• Rhinoplasty