Ratings for Dr. Richard Rival

I had my nose done three weeks ago with Dr Rival and I am EXTREMELY happy with the result. My nose look 100 times better than what I could even imagine. The surgery itself is not very easy but easier than what I was thinking. However, Dr. Rival explained what I should expect after the surgery. He very friendly and knowledgeable. My consultations with him couldn't be any better. He took his time to find the best solution possible for my face. I was so scared and nervous before the surgery at the hospital, but he managed to come over to my bed to talk to me and made me calm down. He is not only a good doctor but he is an amazing person as well. If you want to get your nose done, He is by far the best plastic surgeon in Toronto. Nadia, his assistance, is also wonderful. She is so helpful and friendly.

flag | Submitted March 11, 2016

Overall he was okay but I don't think he gave me natural nose. Not sure.

flag | Submitted September 21, 2016

It's been 2 years post op. Overall I am happy with the result. The swelling still fluctuates, when the temperature is cold, I have the most definition in my nose. Worst thing for the first week post op was sleeping at night with a dry mouth. Other than that, pain was zero to minimal. Do not expect lots of time with Dr. Rival pre-op or post-op, very quick in and out, so bring in photos of what you're looking for and a list of changes and things you'd like to remain the same. He did exactly what I asked for, so he did take my 'list' into consideration during the rhinoplasty. I lived in Ottawa at the time, so it made it hard to go just for a super quick pre-op and post op appointments, but it is worth going to someone that has positive reviews and specializes in rhinoplastys. Also, despite the distance when I did have a post op complication, he was able to fix it within 5 mins during the same appointment. I had developed an adhesion, which is two pieces of tissue fusing together during the healing process i.e my lateral nare fused to my septum, which makes it harder to breathe through your nose. He put some local anesthetic and scalpeled them free. To PREVENT this from happening make sure you're using your saline nasal mist twice a day for 3 months or more. It also helps prevent infection while keeping the tissues moist so they don't start to fuse. No one out of my friends or family noticed a difference except for my grandpa, who has early dementia and forgets a lot of details of my life, so that was surprising. But no one else noticed anything, unless they just haven't told me, not sure, but doubtful. Hope this helps :)

flag | Submitted September 20, 2016

I had rhinoplasty procedure by Dr Rival. The end result was he removed too much cartilage on one side of the bridge of my nose. ADVICE : If your looking for the best rhinoplasty cosmetic surgeon - look elsewhere because its definitely NOT Dr Rival.

flag | Submitted September 16, 2016

This comment will open with a positive review of Dr. Rival’s surgical skill: I am pleased with the result, ten weeks past my septorhinoplasty. Where the office and quite possibly Dr. Rival are showing poor form, is during my post operative follow up. Three days following cast removal, I began showing the clear signs of infection. Emailing the office with photos, I grew impatient waiting for a response, so off I went to the emergency room. Where, it was discovered, the source of my troubles was a stitch left in. And, no, it wasn’t a dissolvable stitch, but one that was missed by the RN working at the Newmarket office that did a hasty job coaching and stitch cutting. At the eight week point I opted to send photos as opposed to travelling back to Toronto. Surprisingly, I never heard back from the office. Upon calling the office, Alicia seemed annoyed with my query and simply stated that Dr. Rival had the photos, and he’d be in touch. That was two weeks ago. This surgery was my first foray into private healthcare delivery. When I speak with friends and colleagues regarding their plastic surgery experiences, all say that their surgeons availed themselves promptly to their patients post operative care. Not so in my case. Having said all this, I will assert that: medical professionals are people too, with lives that have challenges. However, I hope that the office has the professionalism and etiquette to express that their employer cannot respond in a timely fashion. I am happy with my nose, but at the end of the day, I’m not basking in the glow of post operative care and follow up.

flag | Submitted September 12, 2016

Honestly, going ahead with the surgery with him was one of the best decisions I've ever made. He did such a good job, I can't believe how happy I am with everything. Really kind, answers all your calls, and the anesthesiologist was great, especially because I was so nervous. Surgery was unpleasant especially with all the swelling, but the result was so completely worth it. If you're considering rhinoplasty because your nose is making you unhappy, I really recommend going ahead with it. I'm so happy and I'm so lucky to have found this doctor.

flag | Submitted August 12, 2016

I had a septorhinoplasty done by Dr. Rival to fix my deviated septum and get rid of the bump I had on my nose. I was so nervous going into the surgery but after consultations with Dr. Rival he made me feel SO comfortable. Him and his staff are so friendly and helpful. Recovery went so smoothly and I had no bruising! I wasn't in any pain, didn't even need to take pain meds (only used them sometimes to sleep) - the procedure is not painful, just uncomfortable. Its been almost 4 months since my surgery and I'm so happy with the result! I look exactly the same in the best way possible. I was always okay with the front view of my nose (which almost looks exactly the same) and now the side view is flat. It was the perfect amount of change and I still feel like myself. I'm still holding onto swelling in the tip, but that's expected after only 4 months. He is a great surgeon and I would definitely recommend him! Advice: don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions! Write any/every question you have and bring it to your consultation (I went to a few consultations because I didn't feel that he was very clear)

flag | Submitted August 9, 2016

2 years ago I had surgery with Dr R.Rival and was pleased with results at first then later noticed that the bump I had before seemed to return but much smaller! So I waited over a year to see if my nose would change and it didn't, so I went back to Dr. R.Rival. I did a lot of my own research on the issue and im sure it was scare tissue, these types of compications sometimes happen because each individual heals difderently. I was also well informed of the possible compilations of nose surgery prior to surgery by Dr. R.Rival. He again preformed nose surgery on me to fix the issue, and he did this for Free! He is an amazing Doctor I would recommend him to anyone, he makes you feel calm before and after surgery and you can tell that he is a great genuine person.

flag | Submitted July 2, 2016

I went for my first consultation with Dr. Rival in February. I am unsure if I will go back for my second. He is very nice but seemed very rushed and looked at his watch a lot throughout our consultation. I am so afraid to get the surgery because I'm scared I will end up hating the results and he didn't really give me a straight answer or explain what he could do for me. Having said this, he told me that he did not think I needed rhinoplasty surgery and that I had a good nose (I still want one), so I do appreciate his honesty and I truly do not think that he is in it for the money; I think he really cares about doing a proper surgery on suitable candidates. I am considering going back and discussing my options to help me feel better about my nose and see if we can agree on something to fix it :)

flag | Submitted April 18, 2016

I waited to write this review because Dr. Rival kept telling me my nose will be swollen for one year so I waited because I wanted to be fair but it is now one year since I had my nose job and I am extremely disappointed with the results! I look EXACTLY the same!!! My own mother and best friend couldn't tell I had a nose job. I should've known because the surgery lasted all of 45 minutes from start to end and afterwards I had zero bruising. I paid over $8000 (which is a lot of money to me). Everyone who knows about my nose job have old me to ask for a redo.

Submitted April 15, 2016

Dr. Richard Rival's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Richard Rival graduated with honours from the University of Toronto Medical School in 1989. He went on to complete a 6-year surgical training program in Otolaryngology (Head and Neck Surgery) at the University of California in Los Angeles and the University of Toronto. Today, Dr. Richard Rival is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and a double board-certified facial plastic surgeon serving patients from two conveniently located offices in Toronto and one in Newmarket, ON. Specializing in cosmetic surgery for the face and neck, Dr. Rival is an expert in popular surgical procedures including rhinoplasty, face lift, eyelid surgery, ear surgery, and brow lift. He also offers non-surgical treatments like Botox Cosmetic and dermal fillers. Please visit Dr. Rival’s website for more information and to schedule a consultation!

• University of Toronto (Grad. 1989)

• Rhinoplasty