Ratings for Dr. Richard Rival

I found, and chose, Dr. Rival because of the reviews on various sites and I just wanted to add to the list of great reviews. My general philosophy is that I care more about extraordinary skill than bedside manner, but with Dr. Rival you get both. He listens to your concerns and gracefully and compassionately explains his thoughts - pros, cons, and of course things you couldn't possibly have thought of because you don't have the expertise of someone who does this everyday. He is wickedly smart and his excellent surgical skills mean better outcomes, including a faster and smoother recovery -- and this was definitely true for me. I am so amazed at the difference - very subtle and balanced and --- beautiful. I never would have said that about myself before because of my unfortunate and oversized Jewish nose. I hate to admit it but it boosts my confidence remarkably and that goes a very long way in interactions with other people. Elective surgery can be scary and unreal and you need to know you are in good hands. I was 100% confident that he would do the best he could possibly do. And he did. And I'm so happy.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2016

Unfortunately, I could not get to Dr. Rival at all. His secretary Alicia did not understand the meaning of "I wish to communicate via email because of nature of my work and my position". She did everything opposite of trying to retain me as a customer. At first, she did not even respond to my online request, and when I finally called (I had to get out of work, long story) - she appeared very cold and uninterested. I have had 3 procedures done so far, and each secretary was rather chipper and eager to book me an appointment, call me, notify me and email me. Not with Alicia. Who knows how many new patients the office could have had if she was at least mediocre at what she does.

flag | Submitted June 18, 2017

Dr. Rival is the best. He does fantastic work and makes it look natural.

flag | Submitted June 15, 2017

I had a septorhinoplasty a few weeks ago. He did a great job. Fixed my breathing passages. And cosmetically, made my nose look remarkably better. The most impressive thing perhaps was that my "new" nose looks natural. People didn't even think I had a surgery about two to three weeks afterwords. I didn't get bruising or black eyes either and my surgery was fairly invasive. So I'm happy about it overall. I'm glad I went to him. And if I needed another surgery that he can perform. It would be stupid of me not to go to him.

flag | Submitted June 12, 2017

I had cosmetic rhinoseptoplasty (closed procedure) with Dr Rival. He was pleasant & patient during both consultations I had with him and I felt I confident I selected the right surgeon. Unfortunately the outcome of the procedure was not what I had hoped for. He removed too much cartilage on the left side of my nose and a slightly slanted or asymmetrical bridge with the right side of my bridge being slightly higher than the left side . If I could go back in time I would have done more research and most likely would not have chosen Dr Rival.

flag | Submitted May 31, 2017

I received rhinoplasty 4 years ago to remove a bump off the bridge of my nose, and loved the shape of my new nose. However, since the surgery, I have been getting chronic sinus infections and have now been referred in to a local ENT here in my own city. I just had a CT scan done and they stated that I now have a deviated septum. I am not sure how this all came about but these symptoms started post- surgery.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2017

Whoever is reading this, please do your research before selecting Dr. Richard Rival! I went in for a Rhinoseptoplasty procedure. The goal was to straighten my nose and correct my deviated septum. I expressed my difficulty breathing on one side and was hoping this would be alleviated after surgery. 6 months- 1 year later. back to normal with blocked breathing and an uneven nose with one nostril bigger than the other! I went in and he suggested this was just natural healing and to use nasal sprays. 1 year later, I took him up on the offer to do a 2nd surgery in hopes this would be the right fix. After much healing and patience, I am back to the same result of blocked nasal breathing, uneven nose shape and really a waste of my time and money!!! I went to 2 other ENT's who advised both surgeries did not properly correct the deviated septum and the nostrils and collapsed shape could've been fixed. AVOID and always do your research. Location and marketing is all it is here!

Submitted May 1, 2017

After undergoing 2 botched rhinoplasty you can imagine my trepidation to undergo another procedure. So much so I waited 3 decades to consider going under the knife again. My nose was asymmetric, droopy and had a bump. Dr. Richard Rival put me at ease every step of the way and answered my endless questions. Never rushed me or treated me like a number! My recovery was quick and to my amazement didn’t need pain killers. It is now 8 months later and I’ve seen Dr. Rival several times post-surgery for regular follow up appointments. Such a difference from my past experience; only saw the doctor once after my surgery. I had given up hope my nose would ever look “normal”. This long journey has ended happily! I would recommend Dr. Rival to anyone needing a excellent, skilled plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty redos. Thank you Dr. Rival! You exceeded my expectations!

flag | Submitted March 29, 2017

His staff member Alicia is extremely unpleasant to deal with. Rude tone of voice when you are able to actually have your phone call answered and not helpful at all when dealing with bookings.

flag | Submitted February 2, 2017

Good visit. Doctor understood situation and we had a good discussion. Good bedside manner. Appears superior in ability to others in the facility.

flag | Submitted February 2, 2017

Dr. Richard Rival's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Richard Rival graduated with honors from the University of Toronto Medical School in 1989. He went on to complete a 6-year surgical training program in Otolaryngology (Head and Neck Surgery) at the University of California in Los Angeles and the University of Toronto. Today, Dr. Richard Rival is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and a double board-certified facial plastic surgeon serving patients from two conveniently located offices in Toronto and one in Newmarket, ON. Specializing in cosmetic surgery for the face and neck, Dr. Rival is an expert in popular surgical procedures including rhinoplasty, face lift, eyelid surgery, ear surgery, and brow lift. He also offers non-surgical treatments like Botox Cosmetic and dermal fillers. Please visit Dr. Rival’s website for more information and to schedule a consultation!

• English

• University of Toronto (Grad. 1989)

• Rhinoplasty