Ratings for Dr. Richard Rival

I found, and chose, Dr. Rival because of the reviews on various sites and I just wanted to add to the list of great reviews. My general philosophy is that I care more about extraordinary skill than bedside manner, but with Dr. Rival you get both. He listens to your concerns and gracefully and compassionately explains his thoughts - pros, cons, and of course things you couldn't possibly have thought of because you don't have the expertise of someone who does this everyday. He is wickedly smart and his excellent surgical skills mean better outcomes, including a faster and smoother recovery -- and this was definitely true for me. I am so amazed at the difference - very subtle and balanced and --- beautiful. I never would have said that about myself before because of my unfortunate and oversized Jewish nose. I hate to admit it but it boosts my confidence remarkably and that goes a very long way in interactions with other people. Elective surgery can be scary and unreal and you need to know you are in good hands. I was 100% confident that he would do the best he could possibly do. And he did. And I'm so happy.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2016

Dr. Rival ruined my nose and made it worse than it was pre-surgery. I went in with minimal work needing to be done. I had a small bump and wanted the tip to be less bulbous. As my nose healed, it became crooked and the bump was not removed. I know this because after surgery, it was still palpable. As it healed it began to look distorted and beak like ( I did not have this problem prior to surgery) I had a revision scheduled with him and decided to not go through with it right before. I decided to go to another doctor and pay the money just to not have him ruin it further. Once the damage was done, he took very little responsibility for it. He basically just made it seem as though he has no idea what I was talking about. I'm not the only one who had this issue, I know two other people who have crooked noses and needed multiple revisions from this doctor. I wouldn't ever negatively review anyone but in this case I will as I have been having surgery after surgery, to correct what he had originally done. I also tried to go to the office and speak to them via e-mail or to his face and he showed he couldn't care less. I hope everyone seeking a rhinoplasty really thinks about their decision. This doctor is definitely cheaper in price when comparing to other surgeons but it's definitely not worth it. You will pay the price later anyway. I hope this information helps someone. Thank You

flag | Submitted April 26, 2017

After undergoing 2 botched rhinoplasty you can imagine my trepidation to undergo another procedure. So much so I waited 3 decades to consider going under the knife again. My nose was asymmetric, droopy and had a bump. Dr. Richard Rival put me at ease every step of the way and answered my endless questions. Never rushed me or treated me like a number! My recovery was quick and to my amazement didn’t need pain killers. It is now 8 months later and I’ve seen Dr. Rival several times post-surgery for regular follow up appointments. Such a difference from my past experience; only saw the doctor once after my surgery. I had given up hope my nose would ever look “normal”. This long journey has ended happily! I would recommend Dr. Rival to anyone needing a excellent, skilled plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty redos. Thank you Dr. Rival! You exceeded my expectations!

flag | Submitted March 29, 2017

His staff member Alicia is extremely unpleasant to deal with. Rude tone of voice when you are able to actually have your phone call answered and not helpful at all when dealing with bookings.

flag | Submitted February 2, 2017

Good visit. Doctor understood situation and we had a good discussion. Good bedside manner. Appears superior in ability to others in the facility.

flag | Submitted February 2, 2017

I am not the type of person to go online and write a review about anything but i am too happy about my rhinoplasty surgery with Dr.Rival!! About 3 years ago I had a previous rhinoplasty surgery that wasn't my expectations especially when you spend the money. I recently had my procedure with Dr. Rival and I couldn't be happier with the results. He has a lot of passion for what he does and is awesome along with his staff I felt very safe! I definitely recommend him to anyone 100%!

flag | Submitted January 28, 2017

DR. Rival is an amazing doctor and I will recommend him to anyone! He takes time with you, he's so talented in what he does and he made me feel extremely comfortable throughout my whole rhinoplasty surgery. My nose is not healed of course because I just had my surgery yesterday BUT I saw the after picture and he did even better than what I was expecting! I will definitely be writing another review once my cast and bruising is gone but I just felt I had to express right away for anyone reading this the great work he did! If I ever decide to get anything else done in the future, he will be my first choice! Thank you for an amazing experience and giving me my dream nose doc! :D

flag | Submitted January 25, 2017

I had rhinoplasty done with Dr Rival in late 2015 and I'm pleased with my results! Since I was an adolescent, I recall being unhappy with my nose and I used to research the best Toronto surgeons for rhinoplasty. I had the support from my parents to undergo the procedure but I was worried about the results and more importantly, I felt embarrassed and ashamed to face people after at school and/or work. I was worried about what people would think or say if I looked drastically different. About 6 years ago, I went for a consultation with Dr Rival. Still unsure, I put it off and saw another surgeon 1.5 years later for another consultation. My heart and mind weren't set on the surgery until Spring 2015 when I decided to just go forward with it! I booked an appointment with Dr Rival in late spring of 2015 and had my surgery done 4.5 months later. Ultimately, I decided to go with Rival because when I would research different DRs, I kept going back to him based on reviews and his before and after photos. My nose was wide with a bulbous tip. My nose is now notably more narrow and the tip is more defined. My advice to anyone having this procedure is that patience is key!! Results are not immediate and it can take up to a year to see final results (sometimes even longer)! That's why it's said to be an emotional process. I did not mentally prepare myself for this even though I read tons of reviews where people reiterated the same thing. In my case especially and for anyone who is having cartilage removed and the tip of their nose refined, note that this will take longer for final results as the procedure induces a lot of swelling. The tip of the nose will look swollen and feel very hard for weeks to months after. Whereas if you're having a dorsal hump shaved down, the results are immediate from when the cast comes off. In terms of pain, I experienced very little post op. It was just very uncomfortable for the first week or two. It's difficult to sleep and breathe for the first couple of weeks but the discomfort goes away soon enough. I had the 'open' procedure done and my scars aren't even visible which I'm happy about. My parents even compliment the work done and tell me how 'cute' my nose looks now. I gained more confidence after having the procedure. I find I photograph better and I'm not so focused how predominant my nose looks. I'm now 1+ year post op and I'm pleased with the results! Although I would have liked the tip of my nose to be slightly more narrow and a bit smaller, I can't complain! I had thick skin to begin with which is more difficult to work with. And when I compare photos of my 'old' nose, you can see a notable difference. I've seen others who've had nose jobs done by other Toronto surgeons, and I find their nose to be overdone and it's obvious they had work done. My nose looks natural & if I don't point out to people that I had the procedure, they can't tell.

flag | Submitted January 20, 2017

Hello from Ottawa. I've met with Dr. Rival several times over the past few years, I'd get confident in my choice to have septorhinoplasty done, go through the consultation processes, then back out due to fear. With saying that, I've clearly met with him in person, as well as speaking over the phone and email, many many times, and each and every time I've had a positive experience. I met with him again a few days ago, and finally committed to surgery. I've had a deviated septum since birth, as well as a bulbous tip that hooks, dorsal hump and a collapsed nostril, it's slightly over projected as well . I've never deviated from my choice of having Dr. Rival as my surgeon, I've actually researched other surgeons throughout the years just for comparison reasons, and I never liked anyone's aesthetic as much as I appreciated Dr. Rivals. I think you can see many great results, while appreciating them for being great, it still may not be the aesthetic that's right for you. I found using terminology that HE may use was a good approach also, I'd say, "what do you call this, or what does this appear like." I feel by doing this, you're reviewing the same things, and requesting something that he understands. I like a more pointed nose, but what that means to me, may mean something else to him, so I essentially just showed him what I considered "pointy" and explained that's my preference. Anyway, my surgery is booked for February 15th, I'm nervous, but I've had zero reservations with my choice of surgeon, if that helps any of you. I'm a 30 year old woman who's researched for many, many years, so this wasn't a decision I took lightly. I shall update again within a few months time.

flag | Submitted December 30, 2016

I am extremely satisfied with the results of my blepharoplasty (upper and lower) performed by Dr. Rival. He is very professional, courteous, caring and conscientious. I would not hesitate to see him again for further procedures if needed!

flag | Submitted December 27, 2016

Dr. Richard Rival's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Richard Rival graduated with honors from the University of Toronto Medical School in 1989. He went on to complete a 6-year surgical training program in Otolaryngology (Head and Neck Surgery) at the University of California in Los Angeles and the University of Toronto. Today, Dr. Richard Rival is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and a double board-certified facial plastic surgeon serving patients from two conveniently located offices in Toronto and one in Newmarket, ON. Specializing in cosmetic surgery for the face and neck, Dr. Rival is an expert in popular surgical procedures including rhinoplasty, face lift, eyelid surgery, ear surgery, and brow lift. He also offers non-surgical treatments like Botox Cosmetic and dermal fillers. Please visit Dr. Rival’s website for more information and to schedule a consultation!

• English

• University of Toronto (Grad. 1989)

• Rhinoplasty