Outstanding Staff Badge
World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Mark R. Shaya

Dr Shaya performed a three level ACDF on my husband two weeks ago. The whole experience was good. We were only in town for a couple of weeks and he made time to see us at the beginning and was able accommodate us, including surgery and recovery, we didn't even have to change our plans. His bedside manor is excellent! He is confident, without being arrogant, he took time with us, to go over records, MRI's, answered all our questions and was able to put us at ease in a stressful situation. I had been to Mayo Clinic, twice, but in my experience, would recommend Dr Shaya for a fusion above them. He is caring and compassionate and so was the hospital staff at Aventura Hospital.

flag | Submitted February 9, 2016

I'm 30 years old and have suffered with progressive nerve pain that started in right groin during 6th month of pregnancy 5 years ago. During that time, I saw dozens of orthopedic, pain management, and neurological physicians. They all had different diagnosis' and all advised me that the pain going down my leg is something I would have to live with and I shouldn't have anymore children. After discovering the tarlov cysts on an MRI, we researched and found Dr. Shaya. He personally responded to my emails almost immediately and we spoke several times on the phone. He made it to where we would only have to travel to see him one time for the surgery (if we felt comfortable after the appointment). After 5 years of unrelenting nerve pain, I woke up from surgery with the leg pain completely gone. Dr. Shaya also said he sees no reason we can't have another child. He changed our lives and we are forever grateful for his kind but exquisite expertise. As well as eagerness to help. Thank you, Dr. Shaya!

flag | Submitted February 11, 2019

I’m 48, I have arthritis on lumbar area, multiple bulged disks and sciatic nerve pain, I was on excruciating pain from chronic lower back pain, walking slowly, surviving of injections, you know what I’m talking about. My vertebras looked like coral reefs on the MRI, no wonder the pain. I was pretty sure surgery was my way out probably just to ease the pain. So I went on search for a doctor, and a friend recommended Dr Shaya. First impression I noticed he is very knowledgeable, he speaks frankly with no sugar coating, and EXPLAINED MY ISSUE in detail, I haven’t notice that before on any previous doctors’ meetings. I came with surgery in mind, thirteen years with back issues make you deeply incredulous, but he told me different. Instead I did traction therapies, I began swimming, and finally I changed the way I eat losing weight all things recommended by him, he said to do these before even considering surgery, and to my gigantic incredulity something worked! The therapies began by January, and by September I got out of pain and so far still out of pain, no medicine no injections! You can imagine the remarkable change. I was a candidate for pedicle screws surgery but he gave me options, he told me to be patient, he insisted. Now I’m back to play outdoor with my daughter and do things I stopped doing, I got my life back. I seldom write reviews, but this was a life changing and it could be for others too. Every person has its unique situation, but mine worked. Thank you, Dr. Shaya, I’m very grateful of your advice and care, and thanks to your dedicated team for the good treatment and great work they do. Axel Serrano, Miami FL

flag | Submitted January 10, 2019

I went to Dr . Mark for Constant s headache I have a Arachnoid cyst regrowing and This man took the time to explain the first MRI to me . Then set up c t and MRI to double check and make sure something Wasn’t missed . Other Dr told my it was arthritis and Wanted to put needles in my neck . But Dr . Mark Was right on the money . I would recommend Dr Mark and his gracious Staff . And I’m looking forward to be rid of this cyst . S. Tomer, Fort Lauderdale

flag | Submitted November 7, 2018

I was told I needed ALIF of lumbar drove over to Miami from Fort Myers to see Dr Shaya. This doctor may have saved me from a very big operation. Honest and straight forward well worth the drive Thanks Dr Shaya Mike

flag | Submitted July 19, 2018

Dr. Mark R. Shaya's response
There is a lot of unnecessary surgery being recommended especially in South Florida. I am glad that you came and if and when you are indeed ready, I suggest you do your spine procedure with a neurosurgeon and not an orthopedic surgeon.

Submitted July 22, 2018

Thank you Dr. Shaya for confirming my misdiagnosis from a local hospital ER, after being rushed in due to a cycling accident. After being told I had a "meningioma", I knew I had to find the best, even if you didn't take my insurance. Much appreciate your expertise. RM

flag | Submitted March 28, 2018

This doctor is honestly brilliant. My many renowned doctors told me that his treatment wouldn’t work and that it could even be harmful to me. Dr Shaya argued and fought for me to have the treatment that many other doctors said would not work. I listened to Dr Shaya and had the treatment, the treatment WORKED ! This tells me that Dr Shaya is in a league far above the other doctors.

flag | Submitted February 15, 2018

Had back surgery. Long recovery because it was 3 lumbars. Dr. Shaya is an excellent Dr. I highly recommend him. Very knowledgeable and very caring. Don't go to Aventura hospital though. I had a bad experience with the hospital, not Dr. Shaya, he is great. You can't get any better.

flag | Submitted January 31, 2018

Dr. Mark R. Shaya's response
Thank you for your review. Hospital experiences are somewhat out of my control; however, Aventura is one of the better hospitals for surgery in Dade County and consistently ranks high in patient safety.

Submitted January 31, 2018

Excellent surgeon! The best at what he does. He explains things very clearly and is caring and has a true concern for his patients. Takes the time to answer all questions and is always available when you call with concerns etc. I would highly recommend him. Thank you Dr. Shaya, you are the best!

flag | Submitted November 9, 2017

I only trust Dr. Shaya with my care. He was highly recommended both by my general doctor and cardiologist so I knew he was the doc to see for my spinal stenosis problem.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2017

Dr. Mark R. Shaya's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

www.DrShaya.com

• Spanish
  • French

• Wayne State University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1999)

• Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery