Dr. Mark R. Shaya

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Mark R. Shaya

Dr Shaya performed a three level ACDF on my husband two weeks ago. The whole experience was good. We were only in town for a couple of weeks and he made time to see us at the beginning and was able accommodate us, including surgery and recovery, we didn't even have to change our plans. His bedside manor is excellent! He is confident, without being arrogant, he took time with us, to go over records, MRI's, answered all our questions and was able to put us at ease in a stressful situation. I had been to Mayo Clinic, twice, but in my experience, would recommend Dr Shaya for a fusion above them. He is caring and compassionate and so was the hospital staff at Aventura Hospital.

flag | Submitted February 9, 2016

I only trust Dr. Shaya with my care. He was highly recommended both by my general doctor and cardiologist so I knew he was the doc to see for my spinal stenosis problem.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2017

Dr. Shaya is without a doubt one of the best doctors I've ever been to. His bedside manner is second to none. I had surgery on my L4 and L5 years ago. 4 years later - I re-ruptured it. He did not immediately jump on surgery this time and advised me to do physical therapy and traction and helped me work though it all and so far. No surgery yet. I've recommended several friends to him and not one person has come back with anything negative to say about him. Wish more surgeons were like him.

flag | Submitted September 10, 2017

My mom lives in Fort Myers and we traveled 2 hours over to Miami to be treated by Dr. Mark Shaya because this was the doctor we wanted to cure my mom of her pain from spinal stenosis! Let me just tell you he gave her, her life back. She woke up the very next day after a 2nd laminectomy performed 8 months later by Dr. Shaya and he fixed the problem immediately!!! So much for the first one performed by a different Dr. in N.Y. EPIC failure!!! Dr. Shaya and his amazing magical fingers worked his magic and he cured her of a bulging disc and nerve pain shooting down both legs. The very next day my mom was pain free in the legs and just normal soreness as a result of surgery. Before surgery I researched 4 doctors for her to see and Dr. Shaya was the second doctor and after visiting with him there was no reason to see anyone else!!!! He is so down to earth, calm and just knows his stuff. Amazing bedside manner just makes the patient feel safe and comfortable!! He explained exactly what needed to be done, recommended an amazing hospital-(North Shore Hospital of Miami) The Passionate Quality Care given by this hospital was amazing!!! From the time you walked through the door the staff was there to take care of all of your needs!! It was just a wonderful experience!!!!!! Not too many doctors can do that in Florida!! As a result of researching doctors in Fl. we learned you have to go with the doctor with the best patient reviews!!! I am happy to report that if you are a candidate with spinal stenosis or spine problems you can’t go wrong with this dual certified surgeon his office staff is amazing gets you in right away to take care of the problem. Dr Shaya and his staff are very prompt in their responses to their patients. I called the office at 6:20 am expecting to get the doctors service and to leave a message and the actual Dr. picked up to say “hello, how can I help you” at 6:20 a.m. it was amazing!!!!! I expressed my concern and he said he would see me later that morning because he had another surgery to perform!!! Two hours later he was in my mom’s hospital room to answer any questions that we had. This doctor was accessible by email and phone anytime during the day. This doctor is a master craftsmanship in his expertise what a GEM!!!! He is all about the care for the patient from the start to the finish!!! He’s not about the $$$$ his main concern is always the PATIENT and their well-being!!!!! My mom could not find a dr with these fine qualities in Fort Myers!!!! Clearly he is the “DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH”. You need to look no more-he is the answer to your problems!!!!!

flag | Submitted September 1, 2017

In 2013 after 5 years of severe back pain I found an amazing Doctor who within moments knew the problem and it wasn't my back it was in my neck. He performed surgery in October of 2013 three days after he saw the problem on the MRI I was in surgery. Now in 2017 I was experiencing severe back pain and jumped through Tricare hoops to see the same doctor. Again within days of the MRI which was the week before I was in a operating room to get Botox injections into my back. Within a day after the injections the pain that was making me crazy was gone. His office staff is amazing, his bedside manor is amazing, his skill set is amazing, his new high tech office is also amazing. If you, a family member or your service member are having issues this is the Doctor to see. HE CARES.... He even gave me some helpful information on another health issue I am having.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2017

Very direct, impartial and conservative. Glad I saw him.

flag | Submitted July 26, 2017

I had been going to many doctors/physical therapists trying for a year to alleviate my severe spinal stenosis and, after having only a 2-week relief from an epidural injection on January 19, the physiatrist recommended surgery as the next step. After researching neurosurgeons in Miami, I decided to make an appointment with Dr Shaya; as we were out of the country and returning on March 1, on February 10 I requested (online thru his web site) an early March appointment and it was scheduled for March 2; he discussed the surgery, implications, pros and cons with us at length and took the time to answer our many questions and concerns & I was able to have surgery and recovery within the 30 days that we were in Miami The surgery was scheduled and performed and the next day I was walking the hospital corridors; after 3 weeks of well-coordinated physical therapy at Baptist Health, I was without pain and able to assist my wife in driving to North Carolina Dr Shaya's office and staff are amiable, professional, efficient and appointments and office visits are always handled on time and without having to wait for hours on the phone, as had been the case with many other doctors in another state; God bless doctors like Dr Shaya and staff who are not afraid to coordinate/communicate with their patients thru email when necessary! We would heartily recommend Dr Shaya to anyone considering surgery in S Florida

flag | Submitted April 10, 2017

Dr.Mark Shaya is the BEST neurosurgeon in Florida and in my opinion the BEST in the world. He is the most knowledgeable and kind surgeon I ever met. When I retired to Southwest Florida in Oct 2015 from the Northeast I developed extreme low back pain. It took 2 months to get an appointment with a local neurosurgeon in Southwest Fl and he had an MRI done and said I had an L2 fracture and needed a kyphoplasty. The MD in Southwest Florida did the kyphoplasty in his office with no anesthesia and I could tell from the pain and banging that he was having trouble getting it done. After that kyphoplasty I had extreme left glut and groin pain and the surgeon denied it was from the kyphoplasty. After complaining to him for 3 months he got rid of me by sending me to pain management for epidurals, other injections, morphine and physical therapy which didn't help at all! After consulting other local neurosurgeons and neurologists for many months, with no honest answer from any of them, I decided to do more research on the internet and fortunately I found Dr. Mark Shaya. After speaking with his office staff I was able to mail my MRI and CT scan to him and he would call me after he looked at them. He called me right away and said he could help me, as I had cement in my spinal canal from the kyphoplasty and needed a decompression and fusion at L1, L2 and L3. He arranged for me to get clearance from my family doctor locally before I made the 2-3 hour trip to Miami to consult in person with Dr. Shaya. Dr. Shaya was also very helpful in arranging surgery for the next day to save me travelling back and forth from the east coast to the west coast and back again as I was in severe pain. Dr. Shaya was the ONLY neurosurgeon skilled enough to fix my problems that were caused by another neurosurgeon and I felt confident as soon as I spoke with him that he was the one to save me from a lifetime of pain. Although the surgery was painful it was successful, Dr. Shaya did everything possible to make me comfortable and arranged everything for me at the hospital and rehab center afterwards. He was always available to answer my questions and concerns by phone or email. He is a wonderful man, a skilled surgeon and great communicator. I recommend that anyone in pain see him FIRST. I wish I knew about him sooner but I will always be grateful to Dr. Shaya for taking my case that was too difficult for other neurosurgeons closer to where I lived to take. It takes a very special person to fix someone else's mistakes and to admit another MD did something wrong. God bless Dr. Mark Shaya and his wonderful assistants and staff! The wrong surgery I had from the other neurosurgeon left me weak, as I didn't walk or stand for a year because of severe pain, so my recovery time is long, but that is not due to the surgery doctor Shaya performed. Dr. Shaya encourages me to walk as much as possible to gain my strength back again.

flag | Submitted January 19, 2017

Three years ago I had L5-S1 fusion, the surgery went well, I was able to return to an overactive lifestyle, Spartan Finisher race, 5K Battlefrog and various 5K, and daily runs of 6 miles. things you would do when your in your twenties, I'm in my 50's.I started to feel a bit of discomfort especially at the end of my runs. One look at MRi and Dr. Shaya said stop running, since he stabilized L5-S1 L4-L5 weakened and the vertebrate shifted, Dr. Shaya tried everything he could to avoid surgery, at the end it was surgery and so far so good. I had no worries going into surgery with Dr. Shaya, he has performed Surgery on 3 of my friends and the outcome has always been awesome. I strongly recommend Dr. Shaya to any of my friends and family.

flag | Submitted December 11, 2016

This was my second time around with Dr. Shaya. Last year I posted about two surgeries that saved me from paralysis. This time it was to remove a plate and screws used to stabilize my fusion last year that had migrated through bone due to my osteoporosis and was now pressing against the spinal cord once again putting me at risk. Rather than go into all of the technical details I will just say that this removal required an extraordinary level of skill. To insure the screws could be removed Dr. Shaya had a representative of the appliance manufacturer present to insure the proper screwdriver was used. Then there was damage that had to be repaired afterward. My neck still needed to be stabilized in a second surgery.. As he planned this surgery Dr. Shaya sought the input of several of his peers, always striving to provide the best possible outcome for his patients. The second surgery left no stone unturned with more fusion, bone grafts, foraminotomy, facetectomy, screws on the side of each vertebrae from C2 through T1 which were locked onto rods on each side. The end result was a well aligned, solidly constructed neck, with absolutely no complications. Today I had X-rays done for my follow up appointment. As the pictures appeared on the computer screen I saw the most beautifully straight neck in the world. Dr. Shaya's skill and creativity are responsible for it. I have been twice blessed to have him as my surgeon.

flag | Submitted October 15, 2016

Dr. Mark R. Shaya's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

www.DrShaya.com

• Spanish
  • French

• Wayne State University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1999)

Medicaid / Medi-Cal