Ratings for Dr. Mark R. Shaya

Dr Shaya performed a three level ACDF on my husband two weeks ago. The whole experience was good. We were only in town for a couple of weeks and he made time to see us at the beginning and was able accommodate us, including surgery and recovery, we didn't even have to change our plans. His bedside manor is excellent! He is confident, without being arrogant, he took time with us, to go over records, MRI's, answered all our questions and was able to put us at ease in a stressful situation. I had been to Mayo Clinic, twice, but in my experience, would recommend Dr Shaya for a fusion above them. He is caring and compassionate and so was the hospital staff at Aventura Hospital.

flag | Submitted February 9, 2016

I had been going to many doctors/physical therapists trying for a year to alleviate my severe spinal stenosis and, after having only a 2-week relief from an epidural injection on January 19, the physiatrist recommended surgery as the next step. After researching neurosurgeons in Miami, I decided to make an appointment with Dr Shaya; as we were out of the country and returning on March 1, on February 10 I requested (online thru his web site) an early March appointment and it was scheduled for March 2; he discussed the surgery, implications, pros and cons with us at length and took the time to answer our many questions and concerns & I was able to have surgery and recovery within the 30 days that we were in Miami The surgery was scheduled and performed and the next day I was walking the hospital corridors; after 3 weeks of well-coordinated physical therapy at Baptist Health, I was without pain and able to assist my wife in driving to North Carolina Dr Shaya's office and staff are amiable, professional, efficient and appointments and office visits are always handled on time and without having to wait for hours on the phone, as had been the case with many other doctors in another state; God bless doctors like Dr Shaya and staff who are not afraid to coordinate/communicate with their patients thru email when necessary! We would heartily recommend Dr Shaya to anyone considering surgery in S Florida

flag | Submitted April 10, 2017

Dr.Mark Shaya is the BEST neurosurgeon in Florida and in my opinion the BEST in the world. He is the most knowledgeable and kind surgeon I ever met. When I retired to Southwest Florida in Oct 2015 from the Northeast I developed extreme low back pain. It took 2 months to get an appointment with a local neurosurgeon in Southwest Fl and he had an MRI done and said I had an L2 fracture and needed a kyphoplasty. The MD in Southwest Florida did the kyphoplasty in his office with no anesthesia and I could tell from the pain and banging that he was having trouble getting it done. After that kyphoplasty I had extreme left glut and groin pain and the surgeon denied it was from the kyphoplasty. After complaining to him for 3 months he got rid of me by sending me to pain management for epidurals, other injections, morphine and physical therapy which didn't help at all! After consulting other local neurosurgeons and neurologists for many months, with no honest answer from any of them, I decided to do more research on the internet and fortunately I found Dr. Mark Shaya. After speaking with his office staff I was able to mail my MRI and CT scan to him and he would call me after he looked at them. He called me right away and said he could help me, as I had cement in my spinal canal from the kyphoplasty and needed a decompression and fusion at L1, L2 and L3. He arranged for me to get clearance from my family doctor locally before I made the 2-3 hour trip to Miami to consult in person with Dr. Shaya. Dr. Shaya was also very helpful in arranging surgery for the next day to save me travelling back and forth from the east coast to the west coast and back again as I was in severe pain. Dr. Shaya was the ONLY neurosurgeon skilled enough to fix my problems that were caused by another neurosurgeon and I felt confident as soon as I spoke with him that he was the one to save me from a lifetime of pain. Although the surgery was painful it was successful, Dr. Shaya did everything possible to make me comfortable and arranged everything for me at the hospital and rehab center afterwards. He was always available to answer my questions and concerns by phone or email. He is a wonderful man, a skilled surgeon and great communicator. I recommend that anyone in pain see him FIRST. I wish I knew about him sooner but I will always be grateful to Dr. Shaya for taking my case that was too difficult for other neurosurgeons closer to where I lived to take. It takes a very special person to fix someone else's mistakes and to admit another MD did something wrong. God bless Dr. Mark Shaya and his wonderful assistants and staff! The wrong surgery I had from the other neurosurgeon left me weak, as I didn't walk or stand for a year because of severe pain, so my recovery time is long, but that is not due to the surgery doctor Shaya performed. Dr. Shaya encourages me to walk as much as possible to gain my strength back again.

flag | Submitted January 19, 2017

Three years ago I had L5-S1 fusion, the surgery went well, I was able to return to an overactive lifestyle, Spartan Finisher race, 5K Battlefrog and various 5K, and daily runs of 6 miles. things you would do when your in your twenties, I'm in my 50's.I started to feel a bit of discomfort especially at the end of my runs. One look at MRi and Dr. Shaya said stop running, since he stabilized L5-S1 L4-L5 weakened and the vertebrate shifted, Dr. Shaya tried everything he could to avoid surgery, at the end it was surgery and so far so good. I had no worries going into surgery with Dr. Shaya, he has performed Surgery on 3 of my friends and the outcome has always been awesome. I strongly recommend Dr. Shaya to any of my friends and family.

flag | Submitted December 11, 2016

This was my second time around with Dr. Shaya. Last year I posted about two surgeries that saved me from paralysis. This time it was to remove a plate and screws used to stabilize my fusion last year that had migrated through bone due to my osteoporosis and was now pressing against the spinal cord once again putting me at risk. Rather than go into all of the technical details I will just say that this removal required an extraordinary level of skill. To insure the screws could be removed Dr. Shaya had a representative of the appliance manufacturer present to insure the proper screwdriver was used. Then there was damage that had to be repaired afterward. My neck still needed to be stabilized in a second surgery.. As he planned this surgery Dr. Shaya sought the input of several of his peers, always striving to provide the best possible outcome for his patients. The second surgery left no stone unturned with more fusion, bone grafts, foraminotomy, facetectomy, screws on the side of each vertebrae from C2 through T1 which were locked onto rods on each side. The end result was a well aligned, solidly constructed neck, with absolutely no complications. Today I had X-rays done for my follow up appointment. As the pictures appeared on the computer screen I saw the most beautifully straight neck in the world. Dr. Shaya's skill and creativity are responsible for it. I have been twice blessed to have him as my surgeon.

flag | Submitted October 15, 2016

I have had to endure a total of 5 neck surgeries, 3 failed and the 2 corrective. The first surgery Dr. Shaya performed was to remove a plate that was pressing on my esophagus, touching on my thyroid gland and also pressing on my soft tissue, and to also remove the bone spurs. This was all confirmed by MRI, CT and X-ray. The second was to do a bilatteral laminectomy & foraminotomy. These were two very complicated surgeries and Dr. Shaya knowing what I had been through was very compassionate and empathetic towards me. It was a lot to endure but I am fortunate to have had a good Dr. to help me through one of the most difficult times in my life. From experience I can tell you in todays world there are not a lot of Drs like Dr. Shaya. He is honest and sincere and will go out of his way to help you. I am truly grateful for all Dr. Shaya has done to help me. Gregg Marnane

flag | Submitted September 17, 2016

Dr. Shaya is the simply the best! For two years, I suffered severe low back pain with leg/foot burning. I could not walk without a cane, or hugging a wall, or holding on to a grocery cart; posture severely affected. Conservative treatment and physical therapy provided no relief. After a MRI review by a local orthopedist, I was told I urgently needed surgery. I read the excellent testimonials from his patients, some were retired and active duty military members. As a retired military officer, those testimonials sealed my decision---I called Dr. Shaya’s office and was scheduled for a next day appointment. From the time I entered his practice to the time I left the practice, the care and concern for me from him and his staff was efficient, reassuring and comforting. Dr. Shaya listened patiently to my complaint, then explained to me and my husband the issues concerning the severe degenerative disks using the MRI scans to show the problem areas, laid out treatment plan that involved surgery, and discussed the prognosis. He allayed my fears regarding surgery. L4-S1 disk fusion surgery with pedicle screws and rods was performed February 2015. Additional surgery was performed on the L1- L3 disks in February 2016. Throughout the recovery period, Dr. Shaya and his staff were always available to answer questions. I am happy to report that I am finally getting my active life back….walking with minimal discomfort and much improved posture! My quality of life is so much better thanks to Dr. Shaya. Finding Dr. Shaya was a godsend---he is an excellent neurosurgeon that I would and have recommended to anyone requiring services such as his! Thank you, Dr. Shaya! Sharon Abbott, Islamorada, Florida

flag | Submitted August 19, 2016

Dr. Shaya removed my second brain tumor. I couldn't be happier with the outcome. He is very attentive and the office staff is very professional. Highly recommend.

flag | Submitted July 27, 2016

Dr Shaya is an extremely competent and caring neurosurgeon! I was facing a difficult and extensive back surgery and had wonderful results! Dr Shaya would personally return calls and answer concerns! Amazing in this day and age! Great doctor!!!

flag | Submitted July 15, 2016

Laser treatments on my lower back are helping. Great doctor, superb staff, and nice office.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2016

Dr. Mark R. Shaya's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

www.DrShaya.com

• Spanish
  • French

• Wayne State University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1999)

Commercial Insurance Company