You may also like

Rate Dr. Mark R. Shaya

Dr. Mark R. Shaya's Ratings

Talented and compassionate surgeon!! I was referred to Dr. Shaya. I was in a tremendous amount of pain prior and walking was even difficult for me. Post operatively, I am doing amazing. I feel great an I have been restored to perfect health. Dr. Shaya has turned my life around. I highly recommend him! His staff is fabulous as well. Very friendly and helpful!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2909525].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 30, 2015

by DingedUp on Aug 24th, 2015
Shaya performed revision spinal fusion on me in 2013. Shaya advised me post- op that surgery had gone well. Sent me for aggressive Physical Therapy far exceeding the intensity consistent with the normal standard of care. This was justified as possible because of the "exceptional stability" Shaya achieves with his internal fixation. Return visit 8 months later with progressively worsening symptoms was greeted with an aloof and dismissive unconcern, but again was reassured that surgery was a success. No repeat imaging studies were ordered. Foolishly I assumed that he was a man of integrity and ethics, and accepted that there was nothing to be done, and my progression to a wheelchair was inevitable. In June of 2014 with my ability to walk failing I sought a consult with a rehab specialist hoping that a low intensity exercise program would slow the progressive loss of strength in my legs. I requested Shaya's office forward my records to the rehab Doc, and encountered stiff resistance to having my records sent. Several repeat calls with an arrogant uncooperative office manager resulted in them sending only a fraction of my records. An MRI revealed that contrary to Shaya's assurances I was not fused, and the fixation at one level had been inappropriately applied,only one screw was present (two is standard), the single screw had been angulated incorrectly and was backing out. This and the failed fusion at all levels was producing my symptoms. My pain and functional loss was the result of questionable surgical technique. Shaya neglected to inform me at any time that he was unable, or forgot to stabilize one level with two screws, this information would have altered my willingness to undergo aggressive rehab. Having led me to believe that my symptoms were present despite a "successful" surgery Shaya consigned me to accepting a remaining life of progressive loss of function. I am now considering another procedure, although my experience with Shaya has me leery of the ethics, integrity, and capabilities of back surgeons in general. They present a facade of competence that exceeds their statistical results. Success as defined by the patient is a crap shoot even if the procedure is done properly.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2908448].votes_count ]]

Submitted Aug. 28, 2015

I had three herniated discs. I couldn't be standing up for more than five minutes. I felt awful. I went to Dr. Shaya, he made me the surgery. It is incredible, I can stand up all the time without pain. Thank you Doctor you are the best!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2889778].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 9, 2015

My husband and I feel God lead us to Dr. Mark Shaya, after having severe pain in lower back and down right leg and 5 surgeries nothing got better. Pain in right leg increased to the point my husband could not walk very well and was living on pain pills. My husband is a builder and our business came to a halt due to such severe pain. Dr. Shaya said he needed fusion of several areas in his back. He preformed the surgery and that day he had no more pain in his right leg. This is a gift and Dr. Shaya was the first doctor to truly help us. We traveled from Orlando to Miami to have Dr. Shaya perform the surgery. He is worth the travel!!! His care was so beyond our expectations, and I thank God everyday for this surgeon and I don't think any other surgeon we saw compared to him. My husband had 3 others and none of the results were positive. I am in healthcare and have been a RN for many years. I am so thrilled we found him and encourage any patient who feels nothing can be done to see Dr. Shaya. He will tell you the truth and you can trust everything he says. Thank you Dr. Shaya for your care, you are a blessing to every patients you see.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2889776].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 9, 2015

Very happy with my visit. Doc explained very well my condition and put me at ease.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2865420].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 14, 2015

Dr. Shaya from the onset of my first visit was very detailed and took the time to explain the procedure. He was there during per-surgery and post-surgery. His staff is knowledgable, courteous, patient and genuinely care which makes your visit that much better.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2860552].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 9, 2015

After a CT scan revealed a bone spur on my cervical vertebrae was pushing into my spinal cord
I was referred to the top neurosurgeon in my area. He ordered an MRI and went over his
recommendation for surgery, then told me he would not treat me because the surgery was too
risky. and I could end up paralyzed. The problem was without surgery there was a high probability I would end up paralyzed. I consulted with several more surgeons and no two could
agree on a procedure and all were afraid of the risks involved. The last surgeon told me no one
in my area had the skill to perform the surgery I needed, and that I should choose a neurosurgeon connected to a University of Miami Hospital. Using sites like this I researched
to select the most skilled neurosurgeon of the group and Dr. Shaya stood out from the rest.
I was able to get an appointment very quickly and we were seen within 10 minutes of our
arrival. Dr. Shaya had already studied my MRI and had a treatment plan that he went over with us in great detail. He then patiently answered all of our questions and encouraged us to call if we
thought of anything else. We also discussed the potential risks that were so intimidating to the
previous surgeons I saw. Dr. Shaya exhibited confidence in his skill and experience to give me
a successful outcome. We knew after this initial meeting that God had answered our prayers
and brought me to the best doctor possible. Dr. Shaya's treatment plan involved two separate
surgeries to protect the spinal cord and were a complete success with no complications. The severe pain was gone and full function restored to my affected arm. During my hospital stay
Dr. Shaya was personally in charge of my care and saw me daily. I feel blessed to have had
Dr. Shaya take an interest in my problem and want to help me. He is truly worthy of the awards
and all of the acclaim he has received.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2858187].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 7, 2015

Had cervical spine surgery last year and just completed lumbar surgery. Both were very successful and I am very grateful to have had the services of this excellent surgeon.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2836366].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 12, 2015

Excellent staff, organized office they were always available. Very happy and grateful.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2822941].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 30, 2015

Came for second opinion on disk in neck. Had the surgery 3 weeks ago, back at work. Arm pain gone, just some muscle tension. Very happy with result

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2819337].votes_count ]]