Ratings for Dr. Stephen Kaye

I am very pleased with the care I received from Dr. Kaye. I had a procedure done at Lions Gate Hospital and he was amazing. First he administered my IV himself and was better at it than any of the OR nurses I've been subject to during my births or other surgeries. Swift and painless, as opposed to the usual digging that happens on my tiny veins. Secondly, I awoke from my procedure to Dr. Kaye wheeling me out to post-op care himself! Just taking care of business. He's awesome.

flag | Submitted July 7, 2016

I was really fortunate to have been referred to Dr. Kaye for Oophorectomy, cervix removal, and uterine suspension. He did that complicated surgery a few day ago by Laparoscopy and vaginally. I had Hysterctomy in 2011 by another doctor, but there was a mistake on his report saying he removed the cervix. Ultrasound showed cervix is intact that was why I was feeling something like golf ball inside my vaginal opening. Dr. Kaye was able to fix that complicated problem and that's due to his great talent as a surgeon. He is respectful, calm, intelligent, and caring. I highly recommend Dr. Kaye. Thank you Dr. Kaye.

flag | Submitted November 23, 2015

Dr. Kaye is the best gynecologist I have ever met, or had the pleasure of dealing with. He helped me with my son's birth and made it seamless, almost painless and made me feel perfectly safe. He is incredible!

flag | Submitted August 5, 2015

5, May, 2013, LGH. Dr. Kaye was called to attend my son's birth after it was clear we required specialist intervention. I was given clear direction by him of what was required of me and within 15 minutes, Jake was born. Patching up was swift and efficient - there was commentary of what he was doing, but frankly, I didn't need to know on this occasion! Approx. 8 weeks later, Dr. Kaye performed a D&C - I was terrified for the procedure but Dr. Kaye assured me it was very routine, we joked a little.. and I don't remember any more until I woke up. Recovery was swift. I am a straight shooter and I appreciated Dr. Kaye's to the point, practical approach. His bedside manner was fine - after a 48-hour labour, I didn't require cheerleading, I needed action. Can't recommend him enough. Thank you, Dr. Kaye.

flag | Submitted May 5, 2015

Dr. Kaye attended my son's birth at Lions Gate Hospital. I had been working with Dr. Mark Rosengarten (who I **HIGHLY RECOMMEND**) and team, but after my water broke the morning of 3/7, I learned that BC Women's Hospital was "on diversion" and was sent off to give birth at Lions Gate Hospital. Dr. Kaye paid a brief visit while I was receiving synthetic oxytocin and starting to feel pretty rotten. He introduced himself and a medical student, told me that he read my file and knew what I wanted in terms of my birth plan, and did not ask a single question about my situation or inquire about my well-being. Dr. Kaye was clearly competent in terms of his medical knowledge; however, I was surprised and disappointed by his poor bedside manner. He did not orient me to procedures he performed beyond saying something like, "I'm going to examine your cervix." After the exam, he offhandedly mentioned that he "swept my membranes," something that would have been appropriate to mention before he actually did it. He palpated my pelvis to examine my baby's head size, and then without explanation, asked he to hold up my hand against his. He off-handedly commented that it was more likely than not I would end up needing a c-section regardless of how long the induction continued, then said that he would continue the induction through the next morning, and left the room without soliciting my opinion or offering recommendations. After much speculation about why he encouraged continuing the induction in spite of his opinion that a c-section was likely in my future, and once my baby's heart rate started climbing into what's apparently an unsafe range, I spoke to the nurse monitoring the induction who mentioned that I "failed the Kaye test." I asked her what she meant, and she explained that my hand was smaller than his, and according to his experience, that meant my pelvis/bone structure likely wouldn't handle a vaginal birth. In the interest of being candid and empowering the patient to make self-directed medical decisions, this is something he should have told me himself. After talking things over with medically-trained family members, I opted to move forward with the c-section earlier rather than later, figuring that it would be preferable to recover from a c-section after 12 hours versus 24 hours of futile induced labor. At that point, Dr. Kaye had left the hospital and called me on my cell to discuss my change in plans. He returned around 10:30pm in a snazzy Saturday night outfit -- perhaps I interrupted a dinner plans? -- and, to his credit, rapidly activated the surgical team and performed the procedure in a medically competent manner. Dr. Kaye rounded on my son and I three times before I was discharged. He seemed rushed, and never inquired about how I was doing, even though I was clearly in rough shape (emotionally-speaking) during the first few days after birth. I don't mean to imply he needed to take responsibility for my emotional well-being; however, it's important for medical providers to express concern about the patient's basic well-being, as that's an important consideration when assessing physical health. In short, I disliked that Dr. Kaye seemed rushed, made unchecked assumptions, did not provide me with information I would have liked in order to make informed decisions about my son's birth, and did not communicate information in a clear manner. Additionally, though I respect clinical experience and judgment, I would have liked to hear Dr. Kaye cite **evidence** to support his ideas about what was likely to happen depending on how I decided to move forward in giving birth to my son. (Aren't we in the age of evidence-based medicine!?) Finally, I was also disappointed that he never expressed interest in my opinions or subjective well-being. From my perspective (a psychologist who has spent lots of time working in medical settings), Dr. Kaye was medically competent but had poor communication skills and an astonishingly poor bedside manner.

flag | Submitted March 14, 2015

Wonderful doctor. He is a very good listener and made me feel that he was genually concerned for my well-being

flag | Submitted March 9, 2015

He is a great doctor and a fantastic surgeon. He did a c-section on me and i didn't feel any pain and it has been 5 months and no complication so far.

flag | Submitted February 23, 2015

great doctor……………………………………………………………………………………………...

flag | Submitted February 12, 2015

Stephen Kaye is an outstanding surgeon and I trust him completely - he managed to succesfully do a very tricky procedure with excellent results - Amy,his receptionist is also very helpful and I am so glad I was referred to him.

flag | Submitted December 20, 2014

I saw Dr. Kaye in the spring with an emergency ectopic. His bedside manner was horrendous. I didn't like him and felt that he was cold and lacked empathy. Not impressed.

flag | Submitted September 18, 2013