Ratings for Dr. John Armstrong

We were visiting Tofino when a family member with a heart condition became very ill. This doctor kindly fit us into his very busy clinic even though he was behind as he was also working at the hospital emergency room. We were greatly impressed with his compassion and professional care as we were able to resolve the problem without a trip to a specialist or another hospital.

flag | Submitted August 26, 2016

My son was seen by Dr. Armstrong after having been knocked unconscious by the local RCMP. Rather than actually assessing the situation honestly Dr. Armstrong took the word of the RCMP that my son was intoxicated when the RCMP took him to the hospital after a wrongful arrest. Truth being he was unconscious after head trauma caused by the police and suffering from a concussion. He was not intoxicated. Yet, Dr. Armstrong did not take blood or urine samples to confirm and simply believed what he was told. My son initially listed as a John Doe on admission to the hospital because he was unable to respond. What happened to the Hippocratic Oath that doctors are supposed to adhere to, "do no harm"? Well, he didn't do any good either. The patient should have been kept overnight for observation and accurately and honestly assessed not passed off as a drunk tourist. Not only that there could have been underlying medical issues that were never taken into consideration. Thumbs down to you Dr. Armstrong, you were not doing your job and get no respect here!

Submitted April 17, 2016

Awesome! Very knowledgable and actually takes time to answer questions. One of the best doctors I have ever been to.

flag | Submitted January 5, 2015

I came in with a severe injury from surfing huge waves. I couldn't lay down, could barely sit, my neck was spassming so bad it was effectively splinted. I was in tears. He asked me to turn my head to the left and asked what happened when I did so. "My left arm went numb" I said. "Did your lips tingle?" He asked. "Yes," I responded. "You're too emotional and your hyperventilating". Believe it or not, that was his comment Problem with many doctors these days is if they don't know what's wrong with you they can't imagine there's a problem, they treat the patient with disdain, and dismiss him or her. Three years later, in Vancouver, I finally got answers to my condition.

flag | Submitted April 8, 2011

Diagnosed my rare liver condition first visit. Knew what tests to order and started me on treatment after calling a specialist when I came back for followup. I was much better by the time I was able to get into the specialist 3 months later, who said I could have needed a liver transplant or died if I hadn't got such good care. I can't thank this doctor enough.

flag | Submitted August 16, 2009

Stitched up my very anxious son in ER taking time out of his busy clinic and making him feel very relaxed. My husband, a plastic surgeon, said he couldn't have done a better job! Very caring physician.

flag | Submitted August 12, 2009

missed diagnosing a very characteristic rash that was attributable to a serious autoimmune disease. He brushed it off without a serious look. Another doctor in town correctly identified it a reffered me to specialist for treatment. It wasn't so much the missed diagnosis that bothered me, but the apparent lack of time and interest.

flag | Submitted December 28, 2008

I am new to the area, and this Dr that I have seen two times to date has taken the time with me to get to know me and has been very proffesional and helpful.He has also recomended a treatment no other DR has.I have been really happy with both Drs I have seen in Tofino.

flag | Submitted January 16, 2008

Very knowledgeable and caring ; also very helpful.

flag | Submitted December 29, 2006