Ratings for Dr. Robert Chua

I absolutely love Dr. Chua. I was referred to him with my daughter and I liked him that much I asked for the referral back to him with my son. He is great when it comes to knowledge, Helpfullness and his staff are wonderful... But they always over book him, I would suggest they actually stop doing that.

flag | Submitted November 7, 2017

If I could put 0 stars for Dr.Chua's review I would.He has no compassion, he is careless and he has no integrity and guts to face his grave medical errors. I would never recommend him to anyone. I would strongly suggest you read carefully my story and you would understand why I am putting this review for Robert Chua. Dr.Chua performed endometrial ablation on me on June 2016. After the procedure I never saw him, it was just a nurse that released me with advise " that everyone's recovery is different and unless I was bleeding heavily I did not need to see a doctor. My follow up appointment with Chua was 6 weeks after. During this time I got weaker and had abdominal pain. Four weeks after called an ambulance and went to Grey Nuns with extreme abdominal pain. They performed blood tests and ultrasound and they released me with ruptured ovarian cyst diagnosis and no medication but over the counter painkillers and with advise that there is nothing to do about it, just let the body deal with it. In the meantime I am getting weaker, abdominal pain getting worst. When I saw Dr.Chua ( 6 weeks after the procedure) he supported what the emergency doctor had said. Prescribed stronger painkillers and said to come and see him 2 weeks later. He spent only 10 minutes with me. When I asked him what will he do with me he said he would prescribe me birth control pills. 5 days after I saw him I asked for an appointment with my family doctor because I was getting even sicker. When Dr.Lindskoog saw blood test results from first test at the Grey Nuns hospital he was shocked at how high my white cell count was. He sent me urgently for new blood tests and next morning he called and advised I go to a hospital right away. Now my white cell count was 22 ( norm is 4.5 to 11). Once at U of A hospital they ran new blood tests and had another ultrasound done. Started immediately antibiotics and sent me to the Grey Nuns because they had no gynecologist at the U of A. The emergency doctor at the Grey Nuns told since first night that he thought during the ablation procedure Dr.Chua had perforated my uterus and this had caused infection. Next morning Dr. Chua came and said that it is just a ruptured ovarian cyst and there was no perforation. MRA results came only two days after I was submitted to the hospital.In the meantime I am on two powerful intravenous antibiotics and my fever is getting higher and there is no improvement. They did drainage under CT scan, now they are culturing my blood and my fever after 4 days in the hospital is at 41 degrees and I am sleeping with an oxygen mask.The afternoon of the sixth day another doctor came to tell me that because I am not getting any better they will perform hysterectomy and remove my ovaries. He said that Dr.Chua and him would perform the surgery. I absolutely rejected the option of Dr.Chua operating me. The doctor did not like my response and behaved and reacted very unprofessionally.Next day, Sunday morning, Dr.Jackie McCubbin ( she was excellent) got me into the surgery room. Three hours after the surgery I learn that my uterus and ovaries were fine, I had excessive abdominal abscess, especially around my belly button. As a result I have permanent scarred abdominal tissue .Three days later I was released from the hospital. I had lost 18 pounds, I was very weak and emotionally broken. During the follow up visit the Infection diseases doctor said it would take 8 months for me to go to the level of energy and the shape I was before. I was very lucky that my organs did not get impacted from the horrible infection. I am 100% sure, if Chua and his partner ( mid to late 50s man with British accent) would operate me they would have removed uterus and ovaries and I would never have known the truth. Never heard a "sorry" from Dr. Chua. I understand that mistakes happen even during medical procedures ( though for someone like Chua at his age and with his experience to cause perforation during such a basic procedure tells a lot about his skills and abilities). What really makes me angry any time I think of this experience is the fact that after the ablation I was under their watch all the time and they kept misdiagnosing me; missing all basic results, making mistake after mistake. This is a pure case of medical malpractice that shows us how our health care system is simply deteriorating every day and nobody cares. I spent ten days in hospital,before that I was very sick for a month and a half and I am quite sure they did not even sit at the hospital to review the case and decide how to avoid future mistakes that might cause people their lives or ruin their health. AB doctors are the highest paid in Canada. Many of them care about money only and they have found a great "cow to milk" our Healthcare failed system. So my rating for Dr. Chua is 0!I share my story with people just to make them aware that this happens in Canada. It is not a third world country medical malpractice story.

flag | Submitted October 27, 2017

I wouldn't want anyone else! Dr Chua delivered Me, my niece my nephew and My Daughter! He was very supportive through out the delivery and I'm beyond Glad he delivered my daughter and not a Team! Recommend Him !

flag | Submitted October 26, 2017

I wish I could change the OB now I really regret that I chose him and I don't want to deliver my baby with him.. He is too busy most of time so he simply doesn't care about his patient. Wait time is always more than 1 hr. I'm 34week and started bleeding since last week and all he said was go to the hospital if it's become heavy. He doesn't want to do anything about my bleeding and he doesn't even want to hear about my situation.. I would never choose him for my OB next time!!!!

flag | Submitted October 23, 2017

Everytime we came to see him we would have to wait at least an hour after our scheduled time. He is a fine Dr otherwise but wait times at the clinic are atrocious.

flag | Submitted October 12, 2017

Dr Chua delivered my son via a successful VBAC and was absolutely amazing. He was very supportive throughout the whole process and listened when I had questions. Yes he does run late, however that is because he delivers at the hospital next door and is on call. Yes he is quick with appointments, however if it is a routine appointment and you have no questions/concerns...the appointment should be quick! I had a wonderful experience with him and hope to see him again!

flag | Submitted October 10, 2017

He is good when it comes to knowledge but always in rush , I asked for referral to a paediatrician for my newborn and I waited for 3 weeks and still waiting . He is very unhelpful for paper work related to my insurance also . Doesn't seem to care at all . During my delivery he was rude as well. Overall worst experience.

flag | Submitted September 18, 2017

He is good when comes to deliveries and pregnancies. He is very busy may not always listen but he knows what he is doing. A bit old school but things still work as he is so experienced. He is famous because every Doctor I saw had always spoken high of him and his skills. Overall good experience , wait times are very long but it's worth!

flag | Submitted August 3, 2017

dr chua should retire soon. if a doctor rushes all the time sees a patient for 1 minute and that patient waited for over an hour and didnt even get to listened to then that is absolutely unfair. very impatient and doesnt really care. he is just popular but find a way better ob gyne!

flag | Submitted July 21, 2017

Dr. Chua is a good doctor for pregnant women but if you have another gynecological problem don't even go and see him. He does not have the time or the patience. Everything you have, he will solve with a hysterectomy and will not send you for further tests except blood work. The waiting time is absolutely ridiculous and he is loosing his patience as well. He also recommends surgeries and medication with out doing any further search. Please make yourself a favor and go and see another gynecologist. Dr. Chua should retire soon!

flag | Submitted May 30, 2017