Ratings for Dr. Shirley Thomas

very poor communicator; knowledgeable in her field but seems to have a problem applying that knowledge to humans.

flag | Submitted September 9, 2011

Dr. Thomas may be great as a therapist, but she is not qualified to be a CFI, in my opinion. She is very biased, and uses her biases against/for the parents of children. Dr. Thomas made many inaccuracies in her report for my case. Dr. Thomas is swayed by personality differences in parents. She is also swayed by people telling her exactly what she wants to know. My ex made sure he had it all set up when she came in for a home visit. He told her exactly what she wanted to hear, and she didn't see through it? I met with Shirley Thomas a total of 7 times, and there was NO reason for her to remove my child from my home. No abuse/neglect...nothing! It all makes absolutely NO sense to me. Steer clear of this CFI at all costs!! Lawyers and judges/courts like her, and they respect her opinions, so if you don't want to get screwed out of custody, ask for a different CFI, because her report is "gold" in court.

flag | Submitted July 19, 2011

I am VERY SRSLY begging all parents not to go to this woman!! She did not do her work, she spent 15 minutes interviewing me, she did not call the 20+ contacts that she requested of me, she did not do all the promised background checks & she gave an abusive/sexually man who has had a mistress full custody of our 2 children. This now makes over 5 horrific reports I have heard on Dr. Thomas. I know a man who also went to her and his son is sitting in a full body cast because she placed the children with a neglectful mother. She is shady, extremely lazy and has lost touch with reality. Whenever I would ask her questions she would shake, make faces like she ate a sour lemon, or go blank with NO ANSWERS! PLEASE for the sake of your children DO NOT GO to this woman for ANYTHING!! I am trying to pre warn ALL PARENTS in the future. I am not kidding you...Dr. Thomas is no longer a member of modern day reality.

flag | Submitted February 7, 2011

I have spoken with Dr. Thomas on the phone, and she seemed very knowledgeable and helpful. When reading the negative comments here, please note that the types of situations Dr. Thomas deals with may involve abuse and/or irrationality on the part of one or both parties. Without knowing the details of the cases, The nature of many of the negative comments here leads me to believe that they may be from parties who correctly had recommendations made against them, but have been unable to accept it. The behavior shown appears to be that of lashing out, irrationality, and finger-pointing with little to no substantiation. If this indicates that Dr. Thomas can see through these behaviors as a CFI and make good recommendations, then she may have a rare talent that is very much needed in these cases. Whatever the case, I would like to see more substantiation and less shouting in these comments. Dr Thomas appears to have a great deal of experience and deserves consideration.

flag | Submitted September 19, 2010

I would not recommend either this therapist or her classes in Longmont. In my experience with her she was unable to maintain a therapeutic environment when working with couples or groups. She frequently allowed more aggressive clients to behave inappropriately and bully other clients. This was very unprofessional. Her approach caused more conflict in an already high conflict situation. If a second professional had not been involved at my request, I don't feel that my children's voices would have been heard or included in her decision making.

flag | Submitted August 9, 2010

I agree with the negative comments posted. I feel she is very biased to the male side. She did not even listen to my children or take their feeling into account. She also did not include other professionals that she interviewed in her report. I would never recommend her especially if you are a female.

flag | Submitted May 8, 2010

Dr. Thomas worked with both of my sons following the death of their father. I found her to be extremely capable in getting the boys to open up about their feelings. She was warm, caring, and knowledgeable. She used a variety of interventions, as the boys were five years apart in age. She is a great psychologist.

flag | Submitted February 8, 2010

I cannot believe the reviews on here! Of the thousands of families Dr. Thomas has saved, a few disgruntled people who ended up on the wrong side of a judge's decision go on and give a neg. rating, totally skewing the results. The reviews aren't even in regards to her status as a doctor (a PhD, not an MD, and thus not in line with this site anyhow) but in conjunction with her court work! Sour grapes? From my personal experience as an adult suffering from chronic bipolar II, I can attest to her caring, her devotion, and her accessibility. She knows her stuff! She has kept me alive. I can think of no better review than this.

flag | Submitted February 4, 2010

I am pretty surprised by all of the negative comments about Dr. Thomas. I had a very positive experience working with her. I thought she was fair and great with my kids.

flag | Submitted February 1, 2010

My ex and I have used Dr. Shirley Thomas as a PC/DM. I think she has been fair although I have wished that she took a stronger stand against people who did not keep to agreements reached in mediation. She has always been exactly on-time, and is very knowledgeable.

flag | Submitted December 17, 2009