Ratings for Dr. Virginia Devonshire

After reading some of these reviews, I do agree and disagree. I personally chose and requested to be transferred to Dr. Devonshire from my previous neuro at the MS clinic at Ubc. I have had many controversial negative experiences at that clinic. I even went as far as leaving the clinic from my previous experiences before switching with the intent of never returning.That clinic is one with many bad reviews from the front desk staff to never having calls returned by the nurses. I know that I am a difficult patient and vocal/opinionated one too. But, Dr. Devonshire has always been straight, blunt and honest with me. She was one of the only neurologists that never told me if I didn't go on Lemtrada I will have no more options. She was also the first (in 4 years) to have a MRI done on my spine to see if I had any legions.. No others would. Dr. Devonshire has always been patient with me always gave me my options and her opinion on the routes I should go. She is a great neurologist and is the only reason I return to that clinic.. I used to dread ever going and often would self sabotage myself and find reasons to skip my appointments. She is also the first neurologist to find the right drug for me and has made me feel confident in my path of treatment for the first time in 5 years. After reading alot of these reviews.. I cannot speak for everyones experiences.. But I will say - she is exactly what I needed and I would never switch. In regards to the comment below about cannabis and RSO.... I also use cannabis and advocate for it too.. Cannabis is still considered a class 1 narcotic and has no scientific backing to fixing anything. A doctor like Dr. Devonshire cannot give a professional opinion like that. But also, I would never refer anyone to RSO as it is a toxic lethal oil made with paint thinner, (tradionally) and isopropyl... Cannabis can help symptom relief of MS but it has no backing to date to prove anything further. Hopefully one day cannabis and ms clinical studies will exist.

flag | Submitted September 18, 2017

She is an excellent clinician and a genius. She is also very honest which I find an incredible asset in a doctor. I have recommended her to my loved ones and friends because I know she will only give the highest quality of care available.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2017

i actually found here to be very pleasant and helpful! she was very pro supplement and alternative options such as yoga and meditation for my severe migraines. not once did she mention prescription meds as my GP constantly does and encouraged magnesium which was music to my ears as i have already started and noticed a huge improvement. I feel that Dr Devonshire is so good at what she does that she doesn't need to impress you with her bedside manner? she a good doctor and they are hard to come by these days. i left feeling extremely informed and comfortable with her direction of care

flag | Submitted September 13, 2017

She is only nice to me when I'm on her choice of meds. When I had an MS episode she was quick to push me toward either one high cost pharmaceutical or the clinical trial med currently being tested. When I said I wasn't interested in either and asked about another MS drug on the market she became dismissive. My MRI showed drastic improvement after I had completed a year-long treatment course of daily Rick Simpson Cannabis Oil and she refuses to admit it. I was on Tysabri for YEARS with no improvement and symptoms only worsening, finally said I'd had enough of the symptoms of the drug, and when I told her I wanted to come off because I was suffering she turned very cold. I felt like I was her poster child for Tysabri because I was young and didn't develop PML, and when I had to come off it was the end of her world. She cares more about people being on the drugs than how they are feeling on the drugs.

flag | Submitted August 16, 2017

I was referred to her for an opinion regarding a 4 year history of neurologic symptoms. Having read the comments posted I had actually considered cancelling my appointment. Unfortunately I did attend and it is in public interest that I post this entry. I am sure the College of Physicians and Surgeons would be unimpressed by her treatment of patients. It was clear from the time she entered the room that she was haughty, uncaring and dismissive, insulting and downright rude. My initial impression was that she needs to take time off and work to improve her people skills. If you are struggling with neurologic symptoms and need to see a neurologist my advice is to read the "Ratings" prior to accepting the appointment. Everyone deserves to be treated in a respectful manner and this doctor has a long way to go to make her profession proud.

flag | Submitted July 26, 2017

If you find yourself referred to this neurologist, request it be changed immediately. I saw this neurologist for a short time before becoming frustrated with her cold manner. I felt I wasn't being heard and it was my wife who encouraged me to insist I see a different neurologist. Thank gosh I did. Anyone who thinks that respect and manner doesn't relate to quality of care is fooling themselves. I think the reviews speak volumes.

flag | Submitted June 22, 2017

I am deeply disappointed to hear my family had an extremely bad experience with their first 10 minute encounter with Dr. Devonshire. Totally unnecessary attitude when a family is dealing with MS for the very first time. No introduction, no eye contact and slammed the door behind her as she left. Is there no one equally qualified with a pleasant personality?

flag | Submitted May 19, 2017

From what I've observed, Dr. Devonshire is only kind, helpful, personable to people who have MS. I was on a ward and she treated me rather poorly but after she was done with me she went and was extremely kind and compassionate to two individuals who had MS (one recently diagnosed the other had MS for over 14 years). Scrolling through these comments it would seem that those who have MS say nice things about her and those who don't have been treated poorly. It's very upsetting to think she only treats those who pertain to her research well.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2017

I have been seeing her since 1996 and she has often been a big help. Yes, she may not be the best to understand simetimes but I often think it's just the secondary progressive MS and it's me who's not understanding something. She does her best to make sure I understand and does not leave me thinking that I'm going nuts or something,

flag | Submitted January 23, 2017

I was 16 and being evaluated for MS. I was terrified and she brushed off my issue by saying "Well it's not that bad, you'll be like 30 by the time you need a wheelchair". I had several scans and her office wouldn't pick up the phone and send my scans. Three months later I just showed up at her office for my results and she still never provided them to me, though she made it clear that she didn't approve that I showed up without an appointment. While I'm sure she is intelligent, MS is a life-changing disease and having some decency with her patients would go a long way. She made me feel worthless and more terrified than I needed to be. She made me and my parents feel like we were crazy to be devastated of a potential MS diagnosis at 16 years old. She was the most unsympathetic person I've ever met and I will never forget how much harder she made that time for me. If you're struggling with your diagnosis, don't go to her. Tough love doesn't really work with life-threatening illnesses.

flag | Submitted December 8, 2016