Ratings for Dr. Virginia Devonshire

She is only nice to me when I'm on her choice of meds. When I had an MS episode she was quick to push me toward either one high cost pharmaceutical or the clinical trial med currently being tested. When I said I wasn't interested in either and asked about another MS drug on the market she became dismissive. My MRI showed drastic improvement after I had completed a year-long treatment course of daily Rick Simpson Cannabis Oil and she refuses to admit it. I was on Tysabri for YEARS with no improvement and symptoms only worsening, finally said I'd had enough of the symptoms of the drug, and when I told her I wanted to come off because I was suffering she turned very cold. I felt like I was her poster child for Tysabri because I was young and didn't develop PML, and when I had to come off it was the end of her world. She cares more about people being on the drugs than how they are feeling on the drugs.

flag | Submitted August 16, 2017

I was referred to her for an opinion regarding a 4 year history of neurologic symptoms. Having read the comments posted I had actually considered cancelling my appointment. Unfortunately I did attend and it is in public interest that I post this entry. I am sure the College of Physicians and Surgeons would be unimpressed by her treatment of patients. It was clear from the time she entered the room that she was haughty, uncaring and dismissive, insulting and downright rude. My initial impression was that she needs to take time off and work to improve her people skills. If you are struggling with neurologic symptoms and need to see a neurologist my advice is to read the "Ratings" prior to accepting the appointment. Everyone deserves to be treated in a respectful manner and this doctor has a long way to go to make her profession proud.

flag | Submitted July 26, 2017

If you find yourself referred to this neurologist, request it be changed immediately. I saw this neurologist for a short time before becoming frustrated with her cold manner. I felt I wasn't being heard and it was my wife who encouraged me to insist I see a different neurologist. Thank gosh I did. Anyone who thinks that respect and manner doesn't relate to quality of care is fooling themselves. I think the reviews speak volumes.

flag | Submitted June 22, 2017

I am deeply disappointed to hear my family had an extremely bad experience with their first 10 minute encounter with Dr. Devonshire. Totally unnecessary attitude when a family is dealing with MS for the very first time. No introduction, no eye contact and slammed the door behind her as she left. Is there no one equally qualified with a pleasant personality?

flag | Submitted May 19, 2017

From what I've observed, Dr. Devonshire is only kind, helpful, personable to people who have MS. I was on a ward and she treated me rather poorly but after she was done with me she went and was extremely kind and compassionate to two individuals who had MS (one recently diagnosed the other had MS for over 14 years). Scrolling through these comments it would seem that those who have MS say nice things about her and those who don't have been treated poorly. It's very upsetting to think she only treats those who pertain to her research well.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2017

I have been seeing her since 1996 and she has often been a big help. Yes, she may not be the best to understand simetimes but I often think it's just the secondary progressive MS and it's me who's not understanding something. She does her best to make sure I understand and does not leave me thinking that I'm going nuts or something,

flag | Submitted January 23, 2017

I was 16 and being evaluated for MS. I was terrified and she brushed off my issue by saying "Well it's not that bad, you'll be like 30 by the time you need a wheelchair". I had several scans and her office wouldn't pick up the phone and send my scans. Three months later I just showed up at her office for my results and she still never provided them to me, though she made it clear that she didn't approve that I showed up without an appointment. While I'm sure she is intelligent, MS is a life-changing disease and having some decency with her patients would go a long way. She made me feel worthless and more terrified than I needed to be. She made me and my parents feel like we were crazy to be devastated of a potential MS diagnosis at 16 years old. She was the most unsympathetic person I've ever met and I will never forget how much harder she made that time for me. If you're struggling with your diagnosis, don't go to her. Tough love doesn't really work with life-threatening illnesses.

flag | Submitted December 8, 2016

Dr Devonshire diagnosed my wife with ms in 1988 and has been with her ever since. In my wifes case she has gone above and beyond. I would not have her under anyone elses care. Virginia is a realist. She doesnt try to soften the blow and tells it like it is. If you are looking for someone to tell you everything will be all right go somewhere else. If you want the truth and the best care available. See Virginia. She knows her stuff.

flag | Submitted April 27, 2016

Even though she figured out my problem wasn't neurological it didn't stop her from trying to figure out what WAS wrong. She ended up referring me to an ENT once she realized what was going on was an inner ear problem. Even so, she sat with me and talked about what was going on, did some tests on me and was just all around lovely and helpful and I found her very personable, I honestly don't know what people are talking about on here.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2016

Dr. Devonshire is an experienced and capable Neurologist. She helped me manage several issues related to my Secondary Progressive MS. If you're looking for 'the cure', you won't find it (because it doesn't exist) but she gives you straight answers to your questions and assurance that she will be there when you need her in the future. That meant a lot to me. I will definitely go back to see her when I need help.

flag | Submitted January 21, 2016