You may also like

Rate Dr. Gena Marshall

Dr. Gena Marshall's Ratings

I have been a patient of Dr. Marshall's for the last five years. Right from the beginning I never left feeling satisfied. Her answer to everything is to send me for blood work, the blood work comes back normal. Then she suggests sending me for more bloodwork to test for me more things, and if that comes back okay , we will talk about depression and anxiety. This happens every single visit. The last straw was when I was at her office in June 2015. As soon as I walked in, she was very rude and flustered.. She basically got mad at me for incorrect results that were sent from the lab. She threw her head down on the desk saying 'this is ridiculous'. Very unprofessional. She also won't explain anything. I asked her to tell me what the possible symptoms could be for a certain condition, and she told me I would have to get bloodwork to determine if we need to talk about. However, we won't be having that conversation, because I'm not going back and I'm tired of going for blood work.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2867721].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 16, 2015

Please add to all the negative reviews that the secretary keeps changing. There is no feeling of continuity. I am very disappointed with her. In fact I have come to dread having to go to her. I know I will not get satisfactory answers to my questions. I wish I could find another doctor.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2859921].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 8, 2015

THIS WOMAN IS TERRIBLE. Save your time, go to a witch doctor.
She accuses me of lying, and for over two years, the least amount of time I have waited for my schedules appointment,is 2 hours AFTER the scheduled time.

I am going to file a complaint with Nova Scotia physicians, but not now because she wasted so much of my time while I was trying to get disability status; why? Because she accuses people of lying, and simply, doesn't know what she is preaching.

TERRIBLE.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2857569].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 6, 2015

I have been a patient of Dr. Gena Marshall for 12 years now. The older I get, the more unsatisfied that I am. I have been to her countless of times about pain from a car accident and all she ever tells me is to go get a "hobby" or spend less time with my significant other. She is quick to push medications that are not needed in my case it was anxiety and anti depressant meds. I will be changing doctors ASAP because I can no longer sit in her office and listen to her laugh about my problems. I have chronic pain everyday and she insist that getting a hobby will help. Not to mention, every time I go see her its at least a 2 hour wait.

Was this rating useful? 4 [[ userState['ratings'][2799463].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 6, 2015

Over prescribes medications that exacerbates the medical issues and in fact may be contraindicated. Allows old prescriptions to continue to the point of addiction. Totally disrespecrfully of people's time. The us of cheap transistor radio for privacey is ludicrous especially when always loud irritating and difficult to endure while waiting your 1 or 2 hours to see her. Visiting a walk in clinic is infinitely better than using her unless she is the attending physician. Her unprofessional demeanor and dress attire take it to a whole new level at times.

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][2746284].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 11, 2015

I moved to Halifax 2 years ago and have been a patient of Dr. marshall's ever since. I came to this site with interest of reading other people's experiences with her and was not at all surprised at how many of them were bad reviews. I agree and relate with so many of the negative statements that it is disturbing. Dr. Marshall is not a pleasant doctor. Every visit I have had with her, she has been either agitated, flustered, rushed, confrontational, dismissive or completely ignorant of my medical history and present conditions. Waiting hours to see Dr. Marshall has been the least of my concerns. As a young professional who has been having chronic illness and pain I can honestly say that Dr. Marshall is not capable of tending to a patient's needs. Whether you consider yourself a "low-maintenance" and healthy individual who doesn't require much attention, I would still avoid confiding in Dr. Marshall. Everyone deserves and needs a family doctor who not only listens to them and takes their health seriously, but provides a genuine and professional service. Ultimately, I am disturbe that Dr. Marshall continues to practice and pretend to provide a service that so many patients feel she emotionally and professionally fails at.

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][2735093].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 25, 2015

It took me a long time to decide to write this. After reading the reviews here i see i am not the only one. If this sytem allowed a 0 that is what i would give. The gruff, rude manner i could forgive somewhat. we are all different. On one situation she send me to a specialist for a hernia and he was confused because he doesn't do hernia's? He gave me a prostate exam then i had to go back to her and start over.
Another time i asked the office person if i had time to run downstairs and get a paper as it looked like she was running behind. Not uncommon for any doctor to be an hour behind schedule later in the day. Dr. Marshall did not like this and got very angry. A couple of hours later when another patient sitting next to me was crying etc and very uncomfortable i asked when her appointment was. It was 2 and 1/2 hours before that. The doctor proceeded to lecture us in front of everyone in the waiting room. There were several more situations, all very immature. I felt like i was in high school. I never once was saucy or raised my voice. When it was my turn she diagnosed my issue then took my blood pressure. Totally un-related to my symptoms. Then said to me that my pressure was a bit high, must have been because of the wait she said.Very childish. I never once talked back or raised my voice. I was 3 and 1/2 hours past my appointment.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2731512].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 22, 2015

Dr. Marshall seems to be a non-nonsense Dr. and gets down to business fast. I like that in a Dr. I do not have to be coddled. I just need medical advice. I rated her 3 stars on Punctuality because most dr.s are a 1 on punctuality and Dr. Marshall is much more efficient. Most often you have to wait 1-2hours for a visit with most Dr.s. I've never waited that long for Dr. Marshall.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2720966].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 13, 2015

I've never used this site before but it's interesting to read the experience of others. I had Dr Marshall when I first moved to Halifax, was referred by my best friend and her partner. My cousin was also a patient. She was rude, she hated when I suggested I knew what I needed (managed my asthma with support of previous GP for years) and would do the complete opposite of what I asked. The last straw for me was after I'd been off work for 2 weeks with Asthmatic complications. I asked her to order the combination of items my old GP would for me (codeine cough syrup at night, puffer increases & I needed a sick note for work). She refused. She also refused to contact my previous GP, who had known me since I was born. Then she refused to accept a letter from the same GP regarding my management regimen for asthma. She told me I could have some massage therapy, I looked at her and said "are you serious?". I've never been back, interestingly my friend, her now husband and my cousin ALL have similar stories and have all found other physicians as well. I also hated getting pap tests done by her as she would not leave the room to allow me to change. Honestly if my current Doctor did that I wouldn't even notice but with her it was just weird. Now have a Doctor in the same building, maybe four doors away; and she is AMAZING.

Was this rating useful? 4 [[ userState['ratings'][2687544].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 17, 2015

Normally I would only take the time to provide feedback on a Dr that was of the positive variety however, in the case of Dr Marshall I simply can not. I inherited her when my previous Doc (who was amazing) moved to Australia so I thought hey, let's give her a shot. From day one it has been a losing battle. She is rude, argumentative, condescending, dismissive and very confrontational. She is always at least 1 - 1 1/2 hours behind schedule and appears stressed, unkempt and flustered. In the 10 years I have had her as my GP I have never once left her office feeling good about our encounter. I generally avoid visits to her office by using walk-in clinics whenever possible. And to give you an idea of how her mind works, rather than soundproofing her office to allow for the required Dr patient confidentiality she plays a transistor radio, very loudly I might add, in the waiting area to prevent those waiting from hearing the conversations being had in her office - A band-aid solution. If you can avoid this Doctor, do so!

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2659660].votes_count ]]