Ratings for Dr. Janet K. Gersten

Dr Gersten is an excellent doc and I have been seeing her for about 15 years. She is very intelligent and sometimes very smart people have little patience with those who are not. This may be a put off for some people but her care is great. If you need to be coddled, go see a therapist

flag | Submitted July 13, 2016

After 31 years of annual exams and the delivery of my daughters Janet Gersten has proven to be a knowledgeable, honest, sincere doctor. Best of all, she listens and gives you her time and full attention. I highly recommend Janet Gersten

flag | Submitted June 9, 2016

I have been to many gynecologists over a number of years. It was such a welcome surprise to be met by an attentive and most professional physician and her staff. In an era where much of the doctor's time has become occupied by a computer screen, I never once felt like I was in competition and vying for her attention. My complex gynecological issues were handled expeditiously and treated appropriately. Most importantly, Dr.Gersten took the time to answer my questions and discuss healthy options. I cannot say enough about my experience with Dr.Gersten. She is a consummate professional. I appreciate her no-nonsense straight forward personality. I am recommending her practice to all of my colleagues, friends, and family. Some things should never go out of style.

flag | Submitted January 2, 2016

Awesome doctor, very to the point. Never had a problem with her when I refuse certain treatments or recommendations. I did ask her to explain why she didn't think I should have a full STD panel and am happy that I only did a 2 panel and HIV which she explained to me are the "silent" ones that can be harmful if not treated early and encouraged me to look up symptoms of the more common ones so I could get a good idea of when I should be alarmed/have a full panel done. I like the poodle, she never comes inside of the exam rooms so what's the problem? It's a nice change to see in this type of facility because I'm nervous when I come here as it is and she is a warm reminder of home.

flag | Submitted December 17, 2015

I like to judge for myself when I go to a doctor recommended by my friends and co-workers. I went to Dr. Gersten last week and she was excellent. She was not at all like some of the reviews on this website. She spent over 30 minutes with me going over my history and answering all my questions about the problems I was having. She did not order a bunch of tests, just the one I thought I needed, an ultrasound. She seems very smart and up on all the latest treatments. Her staff was very friendly and warm and her office is quiet, unlike some crazy offices I have been in. I will definitely recommend her to anyone looking for a good gynecologist. I recommend people judge for themselves when it comes to rating doctors.

flag | Submitted June 18, 2015

When my ob gyn was moving out of state I was frantic looking for a new obgyn. I waited almost a month to get an appointment with her because I wanted a female dr. this time. I thought the wait would be worthwhile. To my dismay! this Dr. is not even worth the title of a Doctor . She has THE WORST! bedside manner I have ever seen. I am not sure how this woman got away with practicing medicine for all these years. She comes off money hungry. When she came in the office and (mind you I am in my paper robe) she came in almost annoyed and irritated holding a file. She started asking me about my history, but everytime I wanted to speak and explains she would just dismissed everything I would say and at one time told me to get to the bottom line. lol after her initial rude orientation with me she was trying to upsell me about getting a "special pap smear" over the traditional one that insurance pays for (she said it was better because it was much more accurate etc.). I opted out. She she then looked at me from head to toe in a disgusted way and said " it's unfortunate that you don't want to pay more for your pap smear but if you think about it .. it cost just as much as your manicure and pedicure" omg! I could not believe that a Dr. would insult her brand new patient over a $45 pap smear test! I was soo shocked and just disillusioned! needless to say, I got up extremely upset and told her that I could not believe what an awful Dr. she was and told her that there was no way that I will ever come back to her office again. A few weeks later I'm at my brand new and better Dr. I was telling him the story of what transpired with my first visit with Dr. Gersten. Before i even told him her name.. He said. What. I'll tell you who she is. He said. Is it Janet Gersten? and I said. yup. He said that she has a reputation and a lot of her patients go to him with almost the same traumatizing experience with this awful person. She is the most unprofessional, condescending, arrogant person I have ever encountered in my life. I am not one bit surprised that the rest of the reviews all sounds the same.

Submitted January 15, 2015

This doctor was highly rated on my insurance plan but after my appt I really wanted to make sure people know she is not very good. I went for a pap and asked to have std tests done as well since I was there, but later when I got my pap results, she never even tested me for the stds like I asked. During the appt, she was extremely rude, curt, insensitive, narrow minded, seemed annoyed, and just not very knowledgeable. She argued with me over facts that I thought were common knowledge, dismissed my questions as unwarranted, and when I spoke about homeopathic remedies that she knew nothing about and my positive experiences with it she said it was nonsense and the positive effects I had were all in my head. When I asked if there was a birth control brand that would not cause yeast infections, she angrily claimed that none of them cause yeast infections (even though it is a known fact that they can.) I do not trust her "professional" opinion and her attitude was awful, I will not go back.

flag | Submitted July 2, 2014

I've been going to Gersten since 1987. I always thought she was a bit short but in the last few years she has gotten worse. My daughter started seeing her and noticed the same thing I did. Short, dismissive, sometimes rude, doesn't fully listen, gives vague explanation about medical conditions and procedures. She recommended another doctor when I demanded a solution to my increasingly worsening condition to which she seemed to not care about, including a visit to the ER. That visit resulted because of excruciating pain after a D&C she performed in her office. She did me a great favor by recommending someone else and my new doctor is everything a new doctor should be. She doesn't know it yet but she's fired ... Both my daughter and I have fired her. Here is a typical answer to a serious question I asked about what type of birth control she recommended: use condemns. That was it that is how she answered and she was walking out the door. Good going Gersten you just lost 2 patients

flag | Submitted September 26, 2011

Friendly office staff. Long wait time. Will not return as doctor did not listen to my concerns and was rude and condescending.

flag | Submitted August 27, 2011

I agree with the other reviews. It's not that she's awful, it is just easy to tell that she doesn't care for her patients. After a regular exam came back abnormal, I was called in for a "follow-up" exam. I did not find out until I gasped in pain on the exam table, that I had been brought back in for a cervical biopsy. No explanation of what was going on, nothing. Meanwhile, her dog roamed free in the office. (it wasn't the first time- that should have been my first warning) Following that, I was told they would need to remove the lining of my cervix. I decided to seek a second opinion. It has been over 5 years later and I am just fine without any crazy procedures, although I still feel twinges of pain from time to time where the biopsy was taken. Not surprisingly, I haven't been back since. I wish I had found ratemds.com before I went there in the first place.

flag | Submitted October 7, 2010

Dr. Janet K. Gersten's Credentials

• Mount Sinai School Of Medicine Of City University Of New York (Grad. 1979)