Ratings for Dr. Robert Merritt

I have had Dr. Merritt as my Family Doctor now for approximately 6 years. He has been very helpful with my high blood pressure issues and I trust this Doctor 100%. He is a right to the point when diagnosing my problems. I also have painfull areas in both knees. He sent me to an Orthopedic Doctor and one of the best I'll add. I am very happy with Dr Merritt and would recommend him to all my friends and family.

flag | Submitted May 2, 2018

Read all of the above negative reviews and mutiply them by 10. The single WORST doctor I have ever encountered. He would not look at me during a hurried appointment where he was running late. He was downright rude, would not take the time to listen, stared at the computer screen and talked AT me over his shoulder. He cursed, pounded the desk and said that it was late and that I was taking up too much of his time. He insulted me and talked down to me throughout the appointment. His knowledge of new treatment options are NIL. Antiquated and well overdue for retirement, he is a disgusting human being and the single worst medical professional that I have ever had the great misfortune of seeing. If you are a woman, AVOID him...you will be made to feel like an irrelevant piece of dirt. JUST TERRIBLE.

flag | Submitted April 25, 2018

One of my favourite doctors! He took me on as a prenatal patient in late 2013. We had some bumps along the road in my pregnancy and he was very helpful and always made sure things were investigated to the fullest and made me feel comfortable. Fast forward 4 years and I am his regular patient and have nothing but good things to say about his practice. He is always willing to listen, bounce ideas around and build the bigger picture. If he's not sure, he will refer you for more testing to rule things out. He's not a pill pusher and is quite old school in some of his practices. Both of my children love going to see him and my youngest daughter has been followed her whole life by him and he's been fantastic! While he may come across as odd in his mannerisms to some, anyone that has taken the time to know him as a friend and trusted professional respects him and his somewhat unorthodox approach to things. He's not always on time, some days you wait for what seems like an eternity. That's because he doesn't shove people out the door, takes his time to answer questions and will always explain his diagnosis to you if you show the slightest bit of interest in learning. He doesn't sugar coat things which is fantastic. There is no questioning that he loves what he does and genuinely cares for his patients. In my opinion, the thing that makes a great health care professional is their willingness to help you understand your diagnosis or illness and help you understand your body and how things work, or don't work. It teaches you to listen to your body and be your own advocate because not all doctors are as caring and thorough as the good Dr. Merritt. I have nothing but great things to say about him and all he has done for me as a health care professional!

flag | Submitted September 30, 2017

Dr. Merritt has been practicing for nearly 30 years in Porters Lake and has been fondly referred to as the Eastern Shore 'Dr. Welby' because in the beginning he made regular house calls to anyone who couldn't get to his office. His practice grew and he is very busy but he is also very caring. He isn't a polished professional but he is professional. He is very smart and what he doesn't know he is not afraid to admit and will reach out for help to other professionals. His mannerisms can put a lot of people off but if you look past the mannerisms he is an excellent doctor. He is friendly and to the point. Some people find that offensive, they should get over themselves. He's there to help with your medical needs, not make friends, although those who truly understand him consider him a friend. Reading the reviews makes me laugh because most people get turned off in the first meeting but those who have endured are obviously very happy with the medical care he offers. I'm not suggesting he doesn't make mistakes, after all he is human but he tries very hard to help. Your 15 minutes allotted is not enough time but he doesn't rush you which can leave you waiting sometimes but anyone who visits a doctor knows your not getting in and out in 15 minutes.

flag | Submitted August 26, 2017

If you are looking for a doctor with good manners then this is not your doctor. went to him to get forms filled out and my sprained ankle looked at and the whole time he ensured I knew that he was doing me a favour and that because of me other patients had to wait. That it was a waste of his time filling out forms and that he should charge me for it. I told him I had no problem paying, but he said he wasn't set up for taking payments. I have never been treated so poorly by a physician before. I understand forms take time, however, I am not sure what the alternative is when your work is insisting that you need to have the Forms filled out for insurance reasons. I hope he is not like this will his other patients as I could see people not wanting to go and putting off treatment to avoid his judgement and rudeness.

flag | Submitted May 16, 2017

I had Dr Merritt years ago with my ex-husband. He knew he was abusive and controlling yet when I needed help he did not want to get involved. I had a very bad fall, which resulted in me suffering for a year with headaches, mood swings, fits of rage and told him that continually and requested to be sent to a Neurologist, after fighting with him for a year, I finally went and was diagnosed with Post Concussive Syndrome which had I had an earlier diagnosis my symptoms may not have been as pronounced and to this day I suffer from. Worst Doctor I have ever seen and when he knew about how controlling and abusive my ex husband was would not even give me a letter to help me out in court......am glad I never had to go back to him and that was years ago.....

flag | Submitted February 21, 2017

We are really happy with Dr Merritt and have been going to him for 25+ years. He is very knowledgeable and very helpful. He refers you right away to other specialists and his staff are very friendly and attentive.

flag | Submitted January 19, 2017

When i go for blood work, i expect my Dr. to tell me everything. Today i find out from a nurse that my B12 is almost zero since May 2015. He also had put in 2 I.U.D`S wrong which i ended up in emerg for. Countless mistakes with my children as well. NEVER AGAIN.

flag | Submitted April 5, 2016

Thorough, friendly and can usually get you in quickly

flag | Submitted February 11, 2016

Dr Merritt took me as a patient when I became pregnant and he was wonderful, we had a few complications and he handled all of them perfectly. He was awesome during the delivery and is very thorough with baby's wellness checkups. Even when he wasn't available for one checkup, the health nurse who fills in for him (only for babies) is really fantastic. He doesn't like making a lot of eye contact, but still likes to talk and is very friendly as well as knowledgeable and if he isn't sure, he will admit it and ask an expert.

flag | Submitted December 26, 2015