Dr. Elizabeth Lythgoe

You may also like

Ratings for Dr. Elizabeth Lythgoe

flag | Submitted January 20, 2016

She did my cataract surgery last year. It turned out that she had troubles and it was complicated. Supposedly the capsule broke. Then she made it sound like she fixed it and that all was going to be fine. I was able to see after some time of recovery and drops. She never warned me that this complication carries a high risk of retinal detachment later and that is what happened. I developed a retinal detachment about 7 months later and had to see a retinal specialist who did two surgeries trying to fix it. My vision never recovered. It was very ignorant and irresponsible of her not to inform me of consequences of the complication and what to lookout for as far as symptoms were. Instead she "discharged me" to the care of an optometrist in Red Deer who did not know either so he said nothing and just gave me annual appointments for glasses so I had no real professional follow ups for my retina. The optometrist eventually caught on when I was missing part of my vision and referred me to a retinal specialist.

flag | Submitted January 19, 2016

While waiting a long time to see this Dr my husband noticed much of the Dr's training was at a veterinary college. We were appalled at how badly patients were being treated in the waiting room. Seeing the Dr did not improve things. I had questions she wasn't willing to answer. I know a Drs time is valuable so am very conscientious about what I ask and say, but this Dr had no patience to answer any questions. I needed sedation for my procedure, which she didn't do, and she claimed she didn't know of anyone who did sedation. If I left without booking the surgery it was going to be 6 months before I could get another appointment with her, she said. I was blind in 1 eye, but her behavior with me was so unprofessional and rude that I decided I'd rather anyone else do the surgery. I found out there certainly were Drs who did the surgery with anesthesia, and it seemed she should know this, so she was just trying to scare me into choosing her. I'm in my 50s and have never been so concerned about a Dr that I've taken these steps, but in this case I'm so glad I did! I wouldn't refer this Dr to anyone. No one deserves this kind of treatment from someone who's supposed to be a professional.

flag | Submitted December 30, 2015

God am I ever glad Dr. Lee took over. What an attitude change. Clearly it was time for her to go as she was losing her marbles I think. Wherever she went cannot wish her good luck.

flag | Submitted December 29, 2015

I have been seeing Dr. Lythgoe for many years and I was told that I had ARMD and cataracts. She told me to take lutein. She was always rude and quick with me. No chance to ask questions. I suggested that my optometrist thought maybe I had glaucoma and she dismissed it that optometrists do not know anything. Then she retired and I found her replacement Dr. Lee so much more helpful and pleasant. I then found out I had glaucoma all along and quite advanced, so I get the feeling it was missed and ignored. Glaucoma of that nature does not happen overnight. Most of my optic nerves are now dead and we are struggling to keep whatever is still working alive with drops. It was a blessing for the Red Deer community to see her go before she blinded more people.

flag | Submitted December 24, 2015

Wonderful doctor and staff, well respected and liked. Sorry she retired

flag | Submitted May 27, 2015

flag | Submitted May 19, 2015

Although, I agree she's overbooking herself, I was still happy with Dr. Lythgoe. I found her pleasant, certainly knows her job, and would see her again. After my cataract surgery, I was seeing better than I expected, one could say I was viewing my surroundings in "high definition." It was great. Thank you, Dr. Lythgoe!

flag | Submitted February 23, 2015

My father had cataract surgery last year and the results were very poor. He had a difficult time healing, a great deal of pain and a very hard time seeing (couldn't drive or read comfortably). He went to Dr. Gimbel in Calgary last month and had the both eyes fixed and the results are lovely now and his vision has never been better. We were very unhappy with Dr. Lythgoe and wished that we had gone to Dr. Gimbel in the first place.

flag | Submitted January 21, 2015

My uncle had Dr. Lythgoe perform his cateract surgery. She completely botched his "routine" operation. Not only did she ruin his vision, when he came out of surgery he looked like someone had beaten him. His face was so badly bruised, it was nothing less than disturbing. My grandparents lived in Horizon Village in Red Deer and reported that other friends of their's had the same experience as my Uncle. My Grandmother had her cataract surgery in Wetaskinwin and had excellent results.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2013

Dr. Elizabeth Lythgoe's Credentials

AHC

Updates

• A new 1.5-star rating has been posted. "Treated me very poorly, rushed and unprofessional. Seemed disturbed to the point of crazy. I wonder if she should seek some mental health services."

January 20, 2016
  • A new 1.8-star rating has been posted. "She did my cataract surgery last year. It turned out that she had troubles and it was complicated. Supposedly the capsule broke. Then she made it sound like..."

January 19, 2016
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "While waiting a long time to see this Dr my husband noticed much of the Dr's training was at a veterinary college. We were appalled at how badly patients were b..."

December 30, 2015
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "God am I ever glad Dr. Lee took over. What an attitude change. Clearly it was time for her to go as she was losing her marbles I think. Wherever she went cann..."

December 29, 2015
  • A new 1.8-star rating has been posted. "I have been seeing Dr. Lythgoe for many years and I was told that I had ARMD and cataracts. She told me to take lutein. She was always rude and quick with me...."

December 24, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "Wonderful doctor and staff, well respected and liked. Sorry she retired"

May 27, 2015
  • A new 2.2-star rating has been posted. "One of the most arrogant doctors I've ever seen. When I tried to ask her questions, she told me to talk to the CNIB. I'm nowhere near blind."

May 19, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Although, I agree she's overbooking herself, I was still happy with Dr. Lythgoe. I found her pleasant, certainly knows her job, and would see her again. After m..."

February 23, 2015
  • A new 2-star rating has been posted. "My father had cataract surgery last year and the results were very poor. He had a difficult time healing, a great deal of pain and a very hard time seeing (cou..."

January 21, 2015