Ratings for Dr. Elizabeth Lythgoe

I have been under Dr. Lythgoe's care for almost twenty years. I have found her to be professional, extremely knowledgable and always willing to go beyond the norm to ensure excellent patient care. Never have I met a physician of any practice who is as innately competent and precise in her doagnosis, treatment and ongoing care. Truly the best!

flag | Submitted August 15, 2016

I worked for Dr. Lythgoe for many years as did other long term staff. We retired in April of 2015.. She was truly appreciative and caring towards her staff. Doctor Lythgoe never failed to be dedicated to her profession patients and colleagues, no matter if they were old favorites or some of the more difficult individuals we all encounter during our lives. She was completely open honest and ethical while taking great pleasure in helping people with her encyclopedic knowledge and superior skills. I know that she was genuinely touched by all the well wishes given by patients she met over the many years in central Alberta during her career and retirement. We both have many fond memories of you. Barry

flag | Submitted July 27, 2016

Treated me very poorly, rushed and unprofessional. Seemed disturbed to the point of crazy. I wonder if she should seek some mental health services.

flag | Submitted January 20, 2016

She did my cataract surgery last year. It turned out that she had troubles and it was complicated. Supposedly the capsule broke. Then she made it sound like she fixed it and that all was going to be fine. I was able to see after some time of recovery and drops. She never warned me that this complication carries a high risk of retinal detachment later and that is what happened. I developed a retinal detachment about 7 months later and had to see a retinal specialist who did two surgeries trying to fix it. My vision never recovered. It was very ignorant and irresponsible of her not to inform me of consequences of the complication and what to lookout for as far as symptoms were. Instead she "discharged me" to the care of an optometrist in Red Deer who did not know either so he said nothing and just gave me annual appointments for glasses so I had no real professional follow ups for my retina. The optometrist eventually caught on when I was missing part of my vision and referred me to a retinal specialist.

flag | Submitted January 19, 2016

While waiting a long time to see this Dr my husband noticed much of the Dr's training was at a veterinary college. We were appalled at how badly patients were being treated in the waiting room. Seeing the Dr did not improve things. I had questions she wasn't willing to answer. I know a Drs time is valuable so am very conscientious about what I ask and say, but this Dr had no patience to answer any questions. I needed sedation for my procedure, which she didn't do, and she claimed she didn't know of anyone who did sedation. If I left without booking the surgery it was going to be 6 months before I could get another appointment with her, she said. I was blind in 1 eye, but her behavior with me was so unprofessional and rude that I decided I'd rather anyone else do the surgery. I found out there certainly were Drs who did the surgery with anesthesia, and it seemed she should know this, so she was just trying to scare me into choosing her. I'm in my 50s and have never been so concerned about a Dr that I've taken these steps, but in this case I'm so glad I did! I wouldn't refer this Dr to anyone. No one deserves this kind of treatment from someone who's supposed to be a professional.

flag | Submitted December 30, 2015

God am I ever glad Dr. Lee took over. What an attitude change. Clearly it was time for her to go as she was losing her marbles I think. Wherever she went cannot wish her good luck.

flag | Submitted December 29, 2015

I have been seeing Dr. Lythgoe for many years and I was told that I had ARMD and cataracts. She told me to take lutein. She was always rude and quick with me. No chance to ask questions. I suggested that my optometrist thought maybe I had glaucoma and she dismissed it that optometrists do not know anything. Then she retired and I found her replacement Dr. Lee so much more helpful and pleasant. I then found out I had glaucoma all along and quite advanced, so I get the feeling it was missed and ignored. Glaucoma of that nature does not happen overnight. Most of my optic nerves are now dead and we are struggling to keep whatever is still working alive with drops. It was a blessing for the Red Deer community to see her go before she blinded more people.

flag | Submitted December 24, 2015

Wonderful doctor and staff, well respected and liked. Sorry she retired

flag | Submitted May 27, 2015

One of the most arrogant doctors I've ever seen. When I tried to ask her questions, she told me to talk to the CNIB. I'm nowhere near blind.

flag | Submitted May 19, 2015

Although, I agree she's overbooking herself, I was still happy with Dr. Lythgoe. I found her pleasant, certainly knows her job, and would see her again. After my cataract surgery, I was seeing better than I expected, one could say I was viewing my surroundings in "high definition." It was great. Thank you, Dr. Lythgoe!

flag | Submitted February 23, 2015