Ratings for Dr. Carla Washington

I saw Dr. Washington a number of years ago, but have thought of her often over the years due to my awful experience. With all the excellent therapists in the area, I was shocked to see that she still managed to have a 4 star review here, so had to comment (although I notice many of her more positive reviews are within the span of a few days, so I'm guess she had friends/family write in to counteract negative reviews). I saw her while in a crisis situation following a traumatic event, and she lacked any empathy. During the three in-person sessions we had, she frequently talked about herself and her own experiences, rather than listening to me. She also insisted that I purchase several self-help books. During a particularly difficult period, I called to ask if I could schedule an extra session. She told me she did not have time (which is understandable, I suppose), but also told me on the phone that I needed to "get it together" and "stop feeling sorry" for myself . . . this was just a few weeks after a trauma and I was calling her in crisis! After that, I found a new therapist. I forgot to cancel the next session we had scheduled, and it is fine and understandable that she billed me for that session. However, she also billed me FIVE more weeks of sessions, even though these were not scheduled and she never called to see if I was okay or why I had missed the session. As many below reviews state, she is only in it for the money. There are MANY excellent therapists in the DC area - please do yourself the kindness of seeing one of them instead.

flag | Submitted April 8, 2017

Dr. Washington has been absolutely amazing for me. I have made so many new changes in my life. Even when I slip she helps me back to my path. Therapy really is about reconditioning and the client/patient has to do the work. Dr. Washington really helps with guidance and CBT. Would highly recommend her.

flag | Submitted August 21, 2015

Dr. Washington is an excellent therapist and has helped me through many challenges over the last 6 years. I strongly recommend her regardless of the level of therapy you are looking for - she is flexible to adapt to your needs and always reiterates that she is available for your support. She is open to any questions or discussions you wish to have and works with you to make the most of your time together. I strongly recommend her as a therapist.

flag | Submitted September 10, 2013

Dr. Washington is great! I've been seeing her for 4 years now. She is a great listener, and also provides good feedback and tools for working through many of life's challenges.

flag | Submitted September 2, 2013

Dr. Washington has a very friendly and encouraging manner that allows you to feel safe and unjudged. She is easy to talk to and is a very attentive listener. Her guidance has been invaluable and I would and have certainly recommended her to friends.

flag | Submitted August 29, 2013

Dr. Washington has made a positive impact on my life. Her conversational style of therapy has allowed me to discuss a wide variety of topics without feeling judged, and she makes you feel empowered to improve your decision-making ability. I always look forward to my sessions with her as a way to keep growing and becoming a better person. I strongly recommend her to anyone looking for someone who will help them help themselves.

flag | Submitted August 27, 2013

Dr. Washington has helped me immensely to handle and reconcile my daily work/personal life demands. She is very observant of personality and when things are off with me whether that be medication, stress or other. She's a godsend.

flag | Submitted August 23, 2013

I highly recommend Dr. Washington! I have referred many people to her, who also love working with her. She is a great reflective listener who utilizes CBT strategies. I feel really lucky to have such a wonderful therapist who helps me navigate through life's difficult moments.

flag | Submitted August 22, 2013

I have been a patient for more than two years and Dr. Washington was extremely helpful in assisting me to meet my goals. She continues to encourage me to look at aspects in my life differently and her wealth of knowledge regarding her field is exceptional. I think sometimes people perceive the therapist as someone who tells the client "what to do" however it is not about the therapist but more about the client. The therapist facilitates the session and most of the time the client has the tools to answers to their issues.

flag | Submitted August 20, 2013

Wow. I should have read these before I spent three months with Dr.Washington. Everything mentioned here is to the tee. She seems very in it for the money and has no qualms about charging you $150 for 20 min sessions. It is slightly deceptive to because the documents you receive state that sessions can be from 1 hr - 45 mins. I never have a 1 hour session. Also she does not provide directed advice. In my experience I repeatedly asked her for advice on the topic at hand and she was not able to speak directly. She has cut sessions off because of time. Even if her next client hadn't arrived. She needs to work on her bedside manners. Would not recommned.

flag | Submitted March 26, 2012