Ratings for Dr. Tarek Motan

My husband and I struggled for 12 years trying to have children. I would highly recommend Dr. Motan for any fertility issues. He told us right from the first appointment the good the bad and the ugly of what we could expect, and he was willing to do whatever it took to help us. So unless you have a problem following directions and don't want to hear his honest truth, don't waste his and other patients time. Dr. Motan wants treatments to be successful as much as you do, So if he tells you that you need to drop a few pounds for fertility treatment, he's not saying it to be mean. After a year or so of getting all the tests and going through fertility treatments I have the family I always dreamed of all thanks to this doctor.

flag | Submitted July 10, 2017

I have had a really good experience with Dr. Motan so far. He is personable with a really great sense of humour. Punctuality is not great, however when he is late I know it is because he is caring for another patient who needs his time so it doesn't bother me at all. In turn, I know that should I need the extra time, he will give it.

flag | Submitted June 29, 2017

I had a terrible experience and would not recommend him to anyone

flag | Submitted June 26, 2017

Im seeing Dr Motan now .. Hopefully he can help us to conceive as soon as possible!! He so friendly and helpful!! Thanks Dr Motan !!

flag | Submitted June 7, 2017

I found Dr Motan very helpful and understanding. I didn't feel that he wanted to push IVF but was willing to try IUI if we were. He seems very knowledgeable, wiling to listen and sincere. He wasn't able to help us but he was very kind about it.

flag | Submitted June 2, 2017

In my experience with Dr Motan, I found him to be very friendly and knowledgeable. My husband(33) and I (28) have been trying for years and years and years! Finally, I am on clomid 50 mg. (hoping and praying this is our miracle drug. ) Last year I had one hsg followed by laparoscopy. Then another Hsg . We were referred to Dr Motan diagnosed with "unexplained infertility" everything came back normal. So we are very hopeful Dr Motan helps us conceive. First IUI coming soon. As this is our first cycle. Considering the emotion toll- being a woman who is not conceiving due to unknown reasons. I am keeping hopeful with Dr Motan's help.

flag | Submitted March 15, 2017

I've been seeing Dr. Motan since July. He's been wonderful, but the truth is they always run late (in my experience) and the office staff is alright. I have heard through the grapevine that he has very high success rates with IVF. I'm a nurse, and Dr. Motan always calls me a "colleague". He really respects my knowledge and we have had great, informative and productive conversations. I never feel rushed during appointments, which is refreshing. He has shared some hard truths (which a lot of people seem to be offended by), but to be honest, I want and need the 100% truth so I can make the best decisions regarding my care. If IUI is not likely to work, I want to know that beforehand. I don't need truths and facts sugar-coated. If you need that, Dr. Motan is not the doctor for you. Sometimes he can come across blunt and a bit crass, but he has a good heart and he is really passionate about his job. His sense of humor is not for everyone, but I find him funny and we get along really well. He's always empowered me and made sure I realize that I'm the boss and I make the decisions. He likes to give you the info you need to make the best decision possible. Your best bet is to educate yourself as much as possible prior to your appointments... read everything you can. That way you feel like you're behind the wheel when it comes time to decision making. Overall I've had a great experience with him so far. Not pregnant yet, but hopefully soon. If you can get behind his sense of humor and educate yourself, you will love your experience with him. It's a crappy situation that we need fertility treatment but he makes us feel like we're in really good (amazingly skilled) hands.

flag | Submitted March 7, 2017

I see that Dr. Motan is rated #1 out of 4 Reproductive Endocrinologist in Edmonton. From my personal experience, if he is #1, I would hate to see what the other doctors are like. I was referred to Dr. Motan from my family doctor. My husband and I were trying to have a baby and I already knew from years ago that I had fertility issues. I knew my left tube was blocked. My first impression of Dr. Motan was not a good one. He told me that I was too fat for IVF however if I wanted I could go down to Calgary and they could help me. I was 196 lbs at the time of my first appointment. He then proceeded to send me for tests to see what my issues were and to see if my eggs were still viable. My first internal ultrasound showed that I have large tumors on my left ovary. His partner that did the test told me I would need surgery but would not comment further and told me to make an appointment with Dr. Motan. My next test was the HSG test. This is where you have dye injected into your uterus while they take images. I had this test performed back in Ontario and this is how I knew my left tube was blocked. I was well aware how this test is performed and the discomfort you feel during the test. However this HSG test went completely wrong. Right away I felt a severe pain. The image on the screen showed dye going everywhere. The man in the back room recording the images yelled out...whoa! The doctor who was performing the test pulled out the catheter and asked me right away if I was on any antibiotics. She gave me a prescription and told me to take them right away and if I feel any pain, fever or chills to go to the emergency room immediately. She would not answer any of my questions and told me that Dr. Motan will call me. Upon getting up off the table, blood was streaming down my leg. No the dye, but red blood. My husband and I went to Dr. Motan's office right away to see if we could get some answers. He was not in and all the staff could do was let me talk to a resident who looked over my file. She informed that she will put my file on top of his desk and if he sees anything wrong, he will call me. I never received a call. Two weeks later, I was rushed to the hospital because I was in extreme pain and was not able to breath. I spent a full 7 days in Grey Nuns hospital because I was septic. The doctors there did not know what caused the infection. I was asked many times if I ever been diagnosed with an STI. My husband was able to get an appointment with Dr. Motan during my hospital stay. I was given a day pass to leave the hospital for this appointment. I saw Dr. Motan with the IV still in my hand. When he walked in, he said, I see you didn't loose any weight. When I explained to him that I was in the hospital, he looked at my file and told me that I was a very sick girl. However he was looking at the newest blood tests results. He then said this...his exact words...something I will always remember...."I'm sorry, we blew up your tubes. I have only seen this 3 times in my career. You're the third." When asked about my care, the surgery needed, he said that he will only continue to see me if he completes the IVF, then sent me on my way. I returned to Grey Nuns hospital where Dr. Fraser took over my care. In the end, I had a large mass (the tumors grew) the size of a soccer ball removed and had to have a hysterectomy as well. None of what happened during the HSG was put into the Alberta Health Link.

flag | Submitted February 21, 2017

Dr Motan is friendly and funny that makes you feel comfortable. He did my first FET last November and now I'm pregnant....thank you !

flag | Submitted December 8, 2016

Love him ! I think he absolutely makes decisions with his patients best interests in mind . I think he weighs the benefits and risks carefully and practices very ethically . I was a patient of the clinic for two years out of 4 years total trying to conceive . We DID do iui , something that he suggested . Ultimately we needed two IVF cycles to get our beautiful and much loved daughter . I will be forever grateful.

flag | Submitted November 30, 2016