Ratings for Dr. Tarek Motan

I see that Dr. Motan is rated #1 out of 4 Reproductive Endocrinologist in Edmonton. From my personal experience, if he is #1, I would hate to see what the other doctors are like. I was referred to Dr. Motan from my family doctor. My husband and I were trying to have a baby and I already knew from years ago that I had fertility issues. I knew my left tube was blocked. My first impression of Dr. Motan was not a good one. He told me that I was too fat for IVF however if I wanted I could go down to Calgary and they could help me. I was 196 lbs at the time of my first appointment. He then proceeded to send me for tests to see what my issues were and to see if my eggs were still viable. My first internal ultrasound showed that I have large tumors on my left ovary. His partner that did the test told me I would need surgery but would not comment further and told me to make an appointment with Dr. Motan. My next test was the HSG test. This is where you have dye injected into your uterus while they take images. I had this test performed back in Ontario and this is how I knew my left tube was blocked. I was well aware how this test is performed and the discomfort you feel during the test. However this HSG test went completely wrong. Right away I felt a severe pain. The image on the screen showed dye going everywhere. The man in the back room recording the images yelled out...whoa! The doctor who was performing the test pulled out the catheter and asked me right away if I was on any antibiotics. She gave me a prescription and told me to take them right away and if I feel any pain, fever or chills to go to the emergency room immediately. She would not answer any of my questions and told me that Dr. Motan will call me. Upon getting up off the table, blood was streaming down my leg. No the dye, but red blood. My husband and I went to Dr. Motan's office right away to see if we could get some answers. He was not in and all the staff could do was let me talk to a resident who looked over my file. She informed that she will put my file on top of his desk and if he sees anything wrong, he will call me. I never received a call. Two weeks later, I was rushed to the hospital because I was in extreme pain and was not able to breath. I spent a full 7 days in Grey Nuns hospital because I was septic. The doctors there did not know what caused the infection. I was asked many times if I ever been diagnosed with an STI. My husband was able to get an appointment with Dr. Motan during my hospital stay. I was given a day pass to leave the hospital for this appointment. I saw Dr. Motan with the IV still in my hand. When he walked in, he said, I see you didn't loose any weight. When I explained to him that I was in the hospital, he looked at my file and told me that I was a very sick girl. However he was looking at the newest blood tests results. He then said this...his exact words...something I will always remember...."I'm sorry, we blew up your tubes. I have only seen this 3 times in my career. You're the third." When asked about my care, the surgery needed, he said that he will only continue to see me if he completes the IVF, then sent me on my way. I returned to Grey Nuns hospital where Dr. Fraser took over my care. In the end, I had a large mass (the tumors grew) the size of a soccer ball removed and had to have a hysterectomy as well. None of what happened during the HSG was put into the Alberta Health Link.

flag | Submitted February 21, 2017

Dr Motan is friendly and funny that makes you feel comfortable. He did my first FET last November and now I'm pregnant....thank you !

flag | Submitted December 8, 2016

Love him ! I think he absolutely makes decisions with his patients best interests in mind . I think he weighs the benefits and risks carefully and practices very ethically . I was a patient of the clinic for two years out of 4 years total trying to conceive . We DID do iui , something that he suggested . Ultimately we needed two IVF cycles to get our beautiful and much loved daughter . I will be forever grateful.

flag | Submitted November 30, 2016

Pushes IVF only. Does not want to even consider the cheaper IUI. States that sperm tests must be done in Edmonton as the doctors and labs in other towns are incompetent. Seems to be a money grab.

flag | Submitted November 23, 2016

Dr. Motan is so friendly I was there for my first appointment only to discover I was already pregnant. He put us at ease including my husband. Great sense of humour and very personable. I heard some concerning information about bad plus size experiences prior to my appointment. So I was very nervous going in. This is wrong information. He even discussed my concerns about being plus size and fertility. Ladies if you are plus size do not buy into the rumours. Great Doctor. He will put you at ease and that is what you need.

flag | Submitted November 22, 2016

I love going to Dr. Motan. Friendly and knowledgeable.

flag | Submitted October 14, 2016

He's the best doctor ever,,, friendly and kind! Thanks to him I got pregnant after 3 years struggling with fertility... I'm trying the baby number 2 ,,

flag | Submitted August 22, 2016

I had to see him for a uterus and cervix ultrasound because my doctor had a tight schedule and he was super good and friendly. I really like him

flag | Submitted July 16, 2016

Had to wait 2 1/2 hrs from running back and forth the hospital getting blood work to having an ultrasound. Every time I have come to this fertility clinic I have waited 2-4 hrs. Unless you don't work or have a lot of time off then it's ok. I found the fertility clinics efficiency and how it is ran needs significant improvements. The front end staff are not very efficient in coordinating the appointments and depending on the nurse you get it gets confusing with different information provided. I will be going with the Edmonton private clinic that recently opened although you pay more your time is valued and I am sure they will have knowledgeable staff that will educate properly.

Submitted July 10, 2016

After trying for 2-years, we were in the unexplained infertility situation. Wait a year to get our first appointment with Dr. Motan. Although only talking with him for several minutes (a resident doctor was with us before Dr. Motan came the room), he was really helpful and lessened our stress, and talked positively for our situation. He suggested we try IUI first given our previous test results, and pointed out I might get pregnant our of it. He is right, I am pregnant from IUI! The nurse and also front desk are really helpful all the time.

flag | Submitted June 2, 2016